1. Background and Introduction **
Gavi Alliance’s (“**Gavi**”) mission is to save children’s lives and protect people’s health by increasing access to immunisation in poor countries.
Gavi is a unique organisation that aligns public and private resources in a global effort to create greater access to the benefits of immunisation. It does this with precision and in creative, innovative ways to ensure that donor contributions efficiently save lives and help build self-sufficiency in the world’s poorest communities and regions.
For more information, please visit the Gavi website: http://www.gavi.org/about/mission
2. Background of the team and purpose of the role
The Measurement, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Department at the Gavi secretariat is responsible for leading the design and implementation of Gavi’s measurement, evaluation and learning activities, with the aim of ensuring that fit-for-purpose and timely information is available to inform decision-making, improve accountability and successfully deliver on the Alliance strategy. MEL plays a critical role in driving forward changes across Gavi through a Learning System approach to ensure we get the right information to the right people at the right time to drive decision making and to ensure Gavi achieves its mission as quickly and effectively as possible. The Gavi 5.0 Learning System will be embedded throughout Gavi strategy activities allowing for evidenced-based planning, improvements in timely and quality delivery of evidence and continuous learning and improvement in delivery of Gavi’s mission.
This is a technical position within the Evaluation and Learning Unit (E&L), a sub-team of the MEL Department.
The team focuses on three main areas:
- To ensure high quality targeted learning and evaluations are available to inform improvements in the performance of Gavi’s strategy, programmes and policies to strengthen delivery of results;
- To facilitate use of information and learning by promoting uptake of key evidence in alignment with Gavi’s Learning System approach; and
- To ensure appropriate guidelines, templates and tools are available to support delivery of evaluations and learning across Gavi.
3. Description of Services:**
Lead management of centralised evaluations on 1) Gavi’s initial response to COVID-19 and 2) COVAX Facility and COVAX Advance Market Commitment multi-phase evaluation
Working in close collaboration with the Head of Evaluation and Learning and MEL COVAX focal point, Evaluation, Senior Programme Officer will:
· Lead the planning, management and coordination of commissioned independent evaluations
· Develop, lead and maintain a proactive consultation approach to ensure all stakeholders are appropriately informed as evaluation work progresses and to seek their inputs at critical junctures
· Draft Requests for Proposals (RFPs) where needed and coordinate consultation and input. These consultations and input will be sought across broad sets of stakeholders as well as core COVAX partners.
· Manage procurement, adjudication processes and steering committees for evaluation studies
· Manage and guide organisations / institutions and their teams hired by Gavi to conduct evaluations
· Critique technical proposals submitted for Gavi evaluations and to review and ensure quality of all final reports and other deliverables related to evaluation studies
· Manage consultations and review processes for draft reports, tools and other deliverables related to evaluation studies including managing Gavi’s Independent Quality Assurance Panel (IQAP)
· Coordinate completion of Evaluation Management Response (EMR) where relevant
· Track and manage timelines and budgets for evaluation studies
Synthesis and use of evaluation findings
· Synthesise findings and recommendations from different evaluations to inform Gavi and COVAX programming and strategic directions
· Write articles on Gavi’s evaluation work for publication in peer-reviewed scientific journals
· Working with the COVAX MEL focal point, respond to evaluation related requests from COVAX and Gavi leadership (including requests for updates on evaluations and evaluation plans, presenting syntheses of findings, discussion of implications of findings and recommendations for development of management responses etc
· Working with staff from the COVAX Facility and other teams as relevant, facilitate the development of responses to evaluation findings and reports and help determine how to best translate findings from evaluations to inform programmes, policies and strategies
· Ensure impartiality and independence in evaluation as per our evaluation policy including identifying any potential threats to independence and identifying strategies to mitigate them
· Support the COVAX MEL focal point through the provision of inputs from evaluations to feed into COVAX governance briefings, consultations and COVAX MEL strategy updates as required.
Support governance committees including Gavi’s Evaluation Advisory Committee (EAC)
· Assist in preparation for the Gavi Evaluation Advisory Committee (EAC) meetings including drafting of committee papers, presentations and ensuring follow-up of decisions made
- Contribute to development of Gavi and COVAX governance and strategic positioning papers, team presentations, senior management briefing notes
*Note: The essential functions listed in this section are not exhaustive of the job responsibilities; other duties may be assigned consistently with the department needs.
4. Location: Gavi Alliance HQ, Geneva, Switzerland or remote (subject to discussion)**
5. Qualifications and work experience required:
· Advanced university degree in public health or other relevant social sciences (e.g. MPH, MSPH, MSc, PhD highly desirable);
· Training in public health, evaluation and research methods.
· A minimum of 8 years of evaluation experience in a similar position is required;
- Professional experience in public health and immunisation including some engagement at field level is highly desirable;
· Understanding of multilateral agencies and key public health donors and experience with a public private partnership model is an asset.
o Excellent skills in evaluation of health programmes and systems in developing countries is essential;
o Innovative thinker who keeps up-to-date on relevant global issues and evaluation trends and methods, regularly reflects on experiences and adapts to ensure performance improvement in the work area is required;
· Demonstrated ability to develop and apply novel approaches to evaluate programmes;
· Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a range of stakeholders;
· Good knowledge of institutional or organisation policies, systems and procedures;
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to exercise tact and discretion;
- Ability to influence others to ensure delivery of results;
· Strong organisational and planning skills;
· Demonstrated capacity to manage consultants, budgets and deliverables;
· Demonstrated capacity to manage a variety of activities simultaneously, work within teams and take initiative and meet tight deadlines.
Note: short-listed candidates may be asked to complete a timed test to demonstrate their data management, analysis and communication skills.
· Fluency in English;
· Working knowledge of French or other UN language is desirable.
6. Duration of Assignment: 24 months subject to annual confirmation of budget. First contract duration is ASAP until December 2022 with option to extend.
7. Selection Process and expected timelines
· Interested parties should respond by completing Annex One and returning their application before midnight on the Closing Date;
· Gavi will shortlist and invite for written tests and/or interviews (1-2 weeks)
· Contract negotiation and signature (1-2 weeks)
We are committed to fostering a just, equitable and diverse culture free from racism and discrimination in which all staff, partners and stakeholders feel empowered, safe and heard.
How to apply
If you wish to apply, please visit our Careers webpage and apply by following the guidance and sending your application to email@example.com with the title 132-2021-GAVI-RFQ – ” Evaluation Senior Programme Officer, COVAX-COVID-19” before the closing date.