INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Accountability Officer
Duty station: Maiduguri
Starting date: 01/09/2021
Contract duration: 6 months
Reporting to: Head of Mission (hierarchical**)**
Supervision of: HQ Internal Auditor**
Dependents: Non-family Duty station
General context of the project
Since 2009, the Boko Haram insurgency has crippled north eastern Nigeria. Borno State continues to be most affected, with over 1.8 million internally displaced persons (IDPs). Recent advances by the Nigerian Army and the Multinational Joint Task Force have improved humanitarian access in 22 of the 27 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Borno, but have also revealed the extent of the crisis. In newly accessible areas, basic infrastructure has been destroyed, essential services are non-existent, and most local governance systems are not functional.
In support to the UN-led coordinated humanitarian response in the region, INTERSOS is implementing more than 6 projects addressing critical gaps in health and nutrition, WASH, Protection, Health, Food Security, Livelihood and Camp Coordination and Camp Management services for a highly vulnerable population in the newly accessible host communities in of Ngala, Bama, Dikwa, Banki, Damasak, Monguno, Magumeri, Jere-MMC Local Government Area (LGA), Borno State, Nigeria.
General purpose of the position
The Accountability Officer is responsible to lead the accountability system within the Mission, according to INTERSOS “Organizational Management and Control Model” and related Policies.
Main responsibilities and tasks
- Systematically analyze and follow-up the complaint mechanisms in all country bases by supporting and reinforcing the existing accountability tools.
- Receiving the complaints through the different tools and processes put in place and keeping the database of complaints updated and available for Headquarters’ or Mission’s investigations.
- Refer to relevant actors and senior managers in case of misconduct or breaches of the rule, following the established pathways.
- Ensure the reinforcement and/or development of effective and sustainable accountability mechanisms, including the complaint and feedback mechanism for program beneficiaries/stakeholders in collaboration with the Heads of Field Office, PM and Coordinators.
a) Ensure that clear SOPs are in place for the collection and processing of feedbacks and complaints through modalities that are easily accessible to beneficiaries, volunteers and staff;
b) Ensure that data resulting from the feedback and complaint mechanism is properly archived and analyzed on a regular basis;
c) Ensure that the community engagement is done in an appropriate and respectful manner, managing expectations and providing a transparent client-oriented service;
d) Conduct investigations (at National level) related to complaints, in compliance with INTERSOS internal policies, and producing all relevant investigation documents, if required;
e) Immediate refer to the PSEA focal point for any SEAH (sexual exploitation and abuses, harassment) suspected or confirmed incident.
f) Immediate referral of survivors of SEAH to the relevant actors in the Mission for follow up.
Required profile and experience
Bachelor degree in social studies, humanitarian actions, humanitarian international law or any other juridical discipline. Master degree is a plus.
– Minimum 3 years of relevant working experience with at least 1 years in senior accountability role.
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in the humanitarian field.
- Information Management Systems expertise (e.g., Database management or data analysis software skills).
- Experience of accountability process and complaint mechanisms.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of a team and good managerial skills.
- Experience and ability to train others, facilitate workshops and transfer knowledge.
- Experience and ability to conduct internal investigations on site
- Proficiency in reporting
- Proficiency in MS Office (i.e., Word, Excel, outlook etc.)
- Planning and Organizing (ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads.
- Strategic vision.
- Driving and achieving results.
- Teamwork (Ability to delegate and work in team).
Fluency in English
Knowledge of Hausa desirable
- High integrity.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Relationship building.
- Very good diplomatic & negotiation skills.
- High Flexibility and adaptability.
- Ability to take initiative.
- Problem solving and decision making; ability to create solutions to operational problems.
- Leadership: developing and motivating staff.
- Humanitarian motivation and commitment to INTERSOS values.
- Respect of INTERSOS policies and procedures.
- Strong commitment to beneficiaries’ best interests.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates are invited to apply following the link below: https://www.intersos.org/posizioni-aperte/missioni/#intersosorg-vacancies/vacancy-details/6107a8d25c11be001ea68424/
Please note that our application process is made of 3 quick steps: register (including your name, email, password, citizenship and Skype address), sign-up and apply attaching your CV and motivation letter in PDF format. Through the platform, candidates will be able to track their applications’ history with INTERSOS.
In case you encounter severe difficulties applying through the platform, you can send an email attaching your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to email@example.com, with subject line: “**Platform issue** – SR-49-2007– Position**”.**
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least three references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.