Chemonics International, Inc., is a US-based international development consulting company, operating in over 95 countries, that is implementing the USAID funded Urban Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) project in Ethiopia.
Chemonics seeks an Accountant for the USAID Urban Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH) Activity. The purpose of this Activity will be to support accelerated access to safe, adequate, inclusive, and resilient WASH services targeting urban and peri-urban areas. The Activity will work to achieve this through four complementary objectives: 1) Enable and professionalize WASH service providers; 2) Foster markets for pro-poor and inclusive WASH services; 3) Strengthen WASH planning, budgeting, and service delivery oversight; and 4) Strengthen accountability among urban WASH sector actors.
The Accountant will be responsible for supporting the Director of Finance and Operations in all aspects of accounting and financial management, applying general accounting principles in line with Chemonics’ field accounting manual procedures. Specific duties may include processing monthly financial records and directly supervising the bookkeeper. This position will be based in Addis, Ababa, Ethiopia. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Process payments for all invoices related to procurement of goods and services ensuring all necessary back-up documentation is verified, collected, and filed according to established operating principles and procedures.
- Process payments for monthly payroll and benefits in a timely manner, ensuring all necessary back-up documentation is verified, collected, and filed in accordance with established operating principles and procedures.
- Process and ensure payment of income, social security, and value-added taxes to the relevant Ethiopian authorities.
- Maintains the activity bank account, including monitoring the account balance, outstanding checks, and other transactions, in accordance with established operating principles and procedures, and USAID and Chemonics policies and procedures.
- Support the Director of Finance and Operations as a liaison to other administrative and technical components to manage project financial budgeting and expenditure progress.
- Maintain the petty cash account;
- Process and reconcile expense reports for project staff in a timely and efficient manner.
- Examine monthly wire transfer requests through a thorough analysis of projected project expenditures;
- Update project financial records using web-based software and submit monthly reports to the Chemonics’ Washington within the established timeline.
- Maintain project equipment and update inventory list;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Operations to achieve the Activity’s goals and objectives.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required;
- Certification of Chartered Accountants or local equivalent desirable;
- Minimum of four years’ experience working with USAID or other donor funded experience desirable;
- Previous experience working in Ethiopia required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills;
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity;
- Strong analytical skills with attention to details;
- Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets and preparation of graphs, tables, charts with Microsoft Office (including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) is necessary; and
- Fluency in English required; fluency in Amharic preferred.