Norwegian People’s Aid is seeking an Advisor to the Department for Mine Action and Disarmament (DMAD) in Oslo, Norway
Wars and armed conflicts come to an end; however, the remnants of war continue to impact millions of people for decades to follow. Mine Action and Disarmament’s vision is a world where people and communities are safe, resilient and protected before, during and after armed conflict. Together with national authorities and other stakeholders, we are working to resolve problems faced by local communities caused by landmines and explosive remnants of war. Currently, NPA has more than 22 Mine Action Programmes ongoing in Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Balkans and the Middle East.
Do you want to join our professional and committed global team in our mission to protect civilians from explosive weapons?
As an advisor, you will join the Head Office team in Oslo with frequent travels to programmes and operations. You will be met with high expectations in a dynamic work environment. You will be working in teams to support and develop the programmes in an assigned region. Your main responsibility will be to ensure that strategies and plans are implemented with quality, effectiveness, relevance and impact.
In this position your main responsibilities will be:
- Fulfilling a desk function for DMAD programmes organised within a geographically related portfolio
- Coordination between HO and DMAD programmes on issues related to HR, recruitments, finance and logistics
- Maintaining a thematic specialisation within Mine Action and Humanitarian Disarmament topics
- Providing support related to management and delivery of operations
- Continuous monitoring of DMAD programmes performance and delivery of operations
- Facilitating coordination and implementation synergies between DMAD programmes within assigned portfolio and the global portfolio
- Providing DMAD management with regular updates on relevant issues pertaining to the assigned portfolio
- Coordinating, when relevant, DMAD programmes activities with other NPA HO departments
To be succesfull in this role you must have:
- Recent experience and proven results as advisor / desk officer in a humanitarian mine action NGO;
- Relevant higher education and/or relevant military experience;
- Ability and willingness to travel to countries with a challenging security situation;
- Good written and verbal English language skills;
- Experience from working in an international environment;
- Experience from working in the humanitarian sector;
- Experience from the Mine Action sector;
- Experience and knowlegde about NPA and Mine Action;
- Ability to perform in an organised and structured manner within a dynamic and fast-paced working environment;
You need to have good communication and cooperation skills and you should be able to represent NPA and our values our humanitarian sector and international forums. The ideal candidate will also have strong analytical skills and have the ability to implement plans and strategies in our programmes.
We consider it an advantage if you also have:
- Programme/project management experience;
- Operational or technical Mine Action skills and experience;
- Experience working with safeguarding
- Ability to take initiative and work independently when required;
- Norwegian language skills;
- Knowledge of a third language is an advantage;
One of NPA’s overall objectives are to promote gender equality in our organization, and female candidates are encouraged to apply.
In return we offer:
One year temporary appointment in an interesting and challenging work environment. You will be covered by a comprehensive and good pension and insurance scheme. We also offer 5 weeks of annual holiday and flexible working hours, plus reduced working hours between May 15th-September 15th.
The position are based centrally in Oslo, and we offer relocation assistance with regards to working visa and tax card.
Salary step 40-55: 467.643-566.034 NOK depending on your education and relevant experience.
Start-date as soon as possible.
We aim for an inclusive working environment where all employees feel respected and supported. In addition, we are continuously working towards reducing our environmental impact in all our interventions.
Before you apply:
We kindly ask you to carefully read NPA’s Code of Conduct, Safeguarding Policy and Anti-Corruption Policy before you submit your application. If you are the selected candidate for this position you will be asked to complete and sign a Safeguarding self-declaration as well as our Code of Conduct.
For more information about NPA, please see our website at https://npaid.org/mine-action-and-disarmament or visit us on Facebook or Twitter.
How to apply