TITLE: Yemen Advocacy & Campaigns Manager
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Yemen Advocacy, Campaigns, Media and Communications Team LOCATION: Home based (with possible travel)
GRADE: TBC CONTRACT LENGTH: until the end of 2021, possibility of extension depending on funding.
Fixed Term 1
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: AMC Director (AMC-D)
Staff reporting to this post: Campaigns officer
More than six years of conflict and severe economic decline are driving Yemen to the brink of famine, leaving the country in the grips of the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. It is children paying the heaviest price. They are facing attacks on their homes and schools. They are at risk of dying from entirely preventable causes – hunger, or treatable illnesses and diseases. As one of the largest organisations on the ground, Save the Children is working tirelessly to meet children’s needs. We are lobbying governments and politicians to help save lives and protect the futures of children in Yemen.
As a member of the Yemen Advocacy Media and Communications team in the Country Office (CO), the Advocacy & Campaigns Manager is responsible for ensuring excellence in our public and private facing advocacy and campaigning on the humanitarian situation of children in Yemen, as well as our longer term development work.
The purpose of the role is to manage and support the external policy analysis and advocacy strategy development for the Yemen Country Office, supporting the priority programmatic areas, such as child protection and Education in Emergencies, and humanitarian space/operational space issues. The role will support the Advocacy Media and Communications Director in the design, development and implementation of the Country Office’s advocacy strategy and campaigns work, ensuring coordination and engagement across all departments to deliver on the strategic objectives.
Main Responsibilities and duties:
* Develop and implement the Country Office’s campaigns strategy, with a focus on education (including the Safe Schools Declaration), Protecting Children in Conflict, and other campaign priorities, ensuring coordination and engagement across all departments to deliver on the strategic objectives, including a MEAL plan with support from the Regional Office where relevant.
* Support the ACMC-D in the design, development and implementation of the Country Office’s advocacy and campaigns strategy, ensuring coordination and engagement across all departments to deliver on the strategic objectives.
* Based on Save the Children programme priorities and identified priority issues for children, develop and implement key advocacy and campaigns initiatives and identify targets from lessons learned, assessments, research, and evidence gained through project implementation.
* Develop and implement advocacy and campaigns objectives and initiatives, both short and long term, encompassing a wide range of issues and audiences with support from the AMC-D and the Regional Office.
* In collaboration and support from relevant Country Office functions, develop integrated campaigns with programmes, supporting – as appropriate – the planning for national level campaigns and influencing as part of the overall advocacy and campaigns strategy, involving partners, technical experts, and national actors where appropriate.
* Maintain a strategic overview of issues effecting children’s rights in Yemen, monitoring trends in the external environment and inputting and/or leading as required to organisational strategy and planning processes, in coordination with other team members and providing context analysis as appropriate.
* Work proactively with Save the Children Yemen partners on joint campaigns objectives and support partners to identify and address capacity strengthening opportunities, both for partners and wider civil society in Yemen.
* Support a strong power and systems change analysis of the relevant actors and where opportunities for influence and leverage lie to inform the national campaigning strategy.
* Ensure coordination and engagement across all departments to deliver on the strategic objectives. Including providing regular updates to relevant teams on campaigns progress, including movement-wide regular inputs to campaigns communications and communicating to internal and external stakeholder on the impact of the campaign.
* Providing regular updates to relevant teams on campaign and advocacy progress, including movement-wide Weekly Advocacy Update on Yemen and participating in the weekly Yemen Humanitarian Advocacy Working Group calls.
* Train national partners on campaigns and support them in development of their strategies. Support programme teams with campaigns training, and feedback on campaigns products/deliverables.
Campaigns Materials and Delivery
* Draft and otherwise support the production of campaigns products as outlined in the advocacy and campaigns strategy for use at the country, regional and international levels including supporting the Advocacy and Campaigns strategy in country.
* Develop and implement an integrated campaigns plan aligned with the country strategic plan, including a strong MEAL plan.
* Manage the design and implementation of Save the Children global campaign ‘Save Our Education’ in Yemen as a focus country of the Safe Back to School focus, and Protecting Children in Conflict campaign activities, working closely with the Regional Campaign and Advocacy Manager where relevant.
* Support the ACMC Director to develop policy briefing papers, policy statements and public communication materials related to national, regional and international advocacy issues and priorities as needed.
* Support the programme teams where relevant, to commission and/or conduct strategic research development to support campaigning efforts including evidence-based timely data and content.
* Oversee the delivery of planned campaigns including the development of campaign materials and all aspects of implementation relevant to the country office campaign plans.
* Support the strengthening of partnership efforts around campaigning for child rights, that is relevant to the campaigns strategy and plans.
* Ensure children are meaningfully and safely engaged in campaign activities wherever possible, including building systems and capacity in programmes teams and AMC team and focal points in child-led and collaborative child campaigning, engaging children’s voices in planning and ensuring feedback processes are in place.
* Work with the Child Protection and the Child Rights Governance team to ensure child participation efforts are safely implemented to ensure that voices of children are integral to Save the Children’s advocacy and campaigning.
* Oversee the coordination with programme teams and field management in implementing national and/or governorate campaigns, including working with the media manager on social media campaigns, and support programme and operations teams to incorporate collaborative campaigning approaches with children in programming activities.
* Provide technical support to project leads and field offices for popular mobilisation, partner engagement and social media.
* Relying on key campaign priorities, collate, analyse and disseminate information within the organisation.
* Comply with Save the Children’s policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
* Help be responsible for the security of all staff. Ensure that the security, health and wellbeing of staff are ensured and staff management and other processes and policies and systems reflect Save the Children’s principles of equity and fairness.
* To perform such other responsibilities as agreed with your line management.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Education to BSc/BA/BEng level in a relevant subject or equivalent field experience
* A minimum 5 years of proven experience of working in the role of Campaigns or Advocacy Manager, or similar role.
* Significant prior experience working in advocacy on humanitarian issues, child rights, human rights, and/or development issues.
* Experience of international influencing and advocacy work including lobbying, policy development and information provision in humanitarian issues.
* Demonstrated skills in advocating towards government officials in developing countries.
* Experience in developing and implementing humanitarian advocacy strategies.
* Demonstrated ability to develop and lead research, surveys, and other activities oriented towards developing positions and evidence base.
* Demonstrated experience of leading the development and implementation of campaigns activities with a children’s rights focus in a challenging environment
* Excellent written and verbal command of English
* Strong planning and coordination experience in the field of campaigns, including managing multiple large-scale campaigns at once.
* Experience of remote management and successful project management in the delivery of communications, advocacy or campaigns activities remotely
* Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication skills in English for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the general public.
* Demonstrable understanding of conflict-sensitivity and experience in conducting appropriate case study interviews with adults and children.
* Excellent IT skills, especially in Microsoft Word
* Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
* An initiative-taking, proactive, creative and inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support
* Commitment to humanitarian aims and principles, and to the mission of supporting vulnerable children.
* Experience in coalition building, advocacy, humanitarian protection and/or coordination
* Excellent written and verbal command of Arabic
* Experience in working in the development and delivery of Save the Children campaigns.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ci5hbGFnaGkuOTc3NjQuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuYW8uYXBsaXRyYWsuY29t