American Friends Service Committee is a Quaker Organization that includes people of various faiths who are committed to social justice, peace and humanitarian service. Its work is based on the Quaker belief in the worth of every person and faith in the power of love to overcome violence and injustice.
The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) is establishing a research and advocacy hub in the East and Horn of Africa (Africa Action Hub), to be located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Hub is a peacebuilding center with staff and space to convene, train, and mobilize civil society both in-person and virtually, and support research to create evidence-based advocacy on shared and sustainable peace, just responses to displacement and migration, and economic justice.
Job Title: Africa Hub Administration Assistant
Department/Division: Finance and Administration
Immediate Supervisor: Finance Officer
The purpose of the position is to give administrative support to the regional office and programs. The jobholder will work closely with the Research Hub Director as the executive assistant while managing very confidential materials and information. He/She will also assist finance and administration functions run smoothly.
• Support the Africa Hub staff to carry out their day-to-day functions by providing administrative assistance.
• Serve as first point of contact for both internal (staff) and external enquiry, and provide any relevant information as required including information to visitors in Ethiopia and from outside the country.
• Manage all contacts and liaison with CSO representatives, different organizations, and individuals as the first contact person in the office and coordinate staff communication.
• Procurement of goods and services in consultation with the user departments by sourcing for quotations then forwarding for bid analysis.
• Maintenance of office petty cash, updating the petty cash books, monthly summaries, ensuring enough float and ensuring vouchers are properly signed and filed
• Assist in recruitment by placing the adverts and preparation of long lists, schedule orientation and prepare materials and office for incoming staff, visiting staff and consultants.
• Ensure security by making sure that security equipment is in order, share security updates with staff and follow-up security incidences, liaise with security service providers and ensure contracts are updated. Prepare security advice for visitors
• Coordinate meetings, travel arrangements and schedules of the staff within Africa region and implementing partners. Support travel arrangements for staff coming to Africa Hub in Addis Ababa (including liaison with immigration for visa processing and work permits).
• Maintain the fixed asset register, verification and labelling. Custodian of office assets such as laptops, projector, cameras etc. Ensure telephone, internet and network services are always in working condition. Ensure return of assets from outgoing staff and consultants.
• Coordinate communication, steering committee quarterly and implementing partner’s meetings. This includes recording, compiling, taking minutes and ensuring that they are signed off before filing.
• File office documents both hard copies and soft copies.
• Prepare service provider contracts for Africa Hub office.
• Provide logistical support for all departments including clearing any imported goods.
• Support Research Hub Director in scheduling appointments.
• Perform other related duties as required from time to time.
• A first Degree in Social Sciences, Administration or related field
• At least 3 years relevant experience
• A professional qualification in a business-related field is desirable
• Ability to pay attention to details
• Self-driven and innovative
• Good communication and presentation skills
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to anticipate potential problems, determine and implement solutions
• Able to work with minimum supervision
• High degree of Integrity
• Must have understanding and respect for the principles, concern and considerations of AFSC in regard to issues of race, class, nationality, religion, gender, sexual orientation and disability
Assignment: This will be on an initial 2-year contract (can be extended on mutual agreement and good performance)
Compensation: As per AFSC compensation package for National Staff
How to apply
This position is open to Ethiopian nationals and those individuals with the right to work in Ethiopia only.
Interested applicants are requested to submit their CV (No more than four pages), application letter and a two paragraph motivation write up, on why they are interested in this position to:
The Regional Director, Africa
The deadline for application is Friday 30th April 2021
The American Friends Service Committee is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified persons are encouraged to apply regardless of their religious affiliation, race, age, sex, or disability.