Arabic Language Technical Review & Editing Consultant**
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is inviting offers and expressions of interest from qualified Arabic language professionals for the provision of services for the technical and editorial review of the translated works of the Division of International Protection’s Child Protection Unit.
UNHCR is preparations to launch a number of child protection and youth-specific guidelines and reports in 2021. These include the 2021 UNHCR Best Interests Procedure Guidelines: Assessing and Determining the Best Interests of the Child, UNHCR Child Protection Guidance on COVID-19, UNHCR Guidance on Promoting Child Protection Outcomes through CBIs, YIF Youth in Action Report 2017-2019, UNHCR Guidance on Supervised Independent Living for Unaccompanied Children, and the UNHCR Technical Guidance: Child-friendly Procedures. These guidelines and reports have been translated into several languages, including Arabic. Prior to releasing the Arabic language versions of these guidelines, the translated documents require technical review and revision to ensure that the terminology used in the translated versions are aligned to UNHCR’s operational terminology, as well as global child protection and humanitarian terminology. Once these are revised, and subsequently completing the design process, these documents will require further review prior to launch. The combined total number of pages of the documents requiring technical review and revision (English version) is around 400 pages, consisting of around 179,000 words.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women, and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title : Arabic Language Technical Review and Editing Consultant
Duty Station : Home-based
Duration : 15 August – 30 November 2021
Contract Type : Consultant
Closing date : 15 July 2021
Start date : 15 August 2021
The Child Protection Unit and Youth Unit lead UNHCR’s institutional work on child protection in the Division of International Protection at UNHCR Headquarters. This work includes providing principled and practical guidance on key areas of work such as the Best Interests Procedure, Child Friendly Procedure, and support to youth programming.
The consultant will report to the Protection Officer (Adolescents & Youth) and will work closely with the focal points in the Child Protection Unit for each document to ensure that the translated versions are finalized, designed (supporting the review of the designed versions of the documents), and are prepared for launch. The consultant will also liaise with a small group of UNHCR staff who are bilingual who will be available to advise on terminology as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
Phase 1 (to be completed by 15 Sep 2021):
• Review translated Child Protection Unit and Youth Unit documents based on UNHCR terminology and global child protection terminology, and if necessary, consult with small group of bilingual experts.
• Revise translated Child Protection Unit and Youth Unit documents to correctly reflect UNHCR terminology and global child protection terminology in preparation for graphic design.
• Documents to be reviewed and revised:
a. 2021 UNHCR Best Interests Procedure Guidelines: Assessing and Determining the Best Interests of the Child
b. UNHCR Child Protection Guidance on COVID-19
c. UNHCR Guidance on Promoting Child Protection Outcomes through CBIs (summary)
d. UNHCR Guidance on Promoting Child Protection Outcomes through CBIs (full)
e. YIF – Youth in Action Report 2017-2019
f. UNHCR Guidance on Supervised Independent Living for Unaccompanied Children
g. UNHCR Technical Guidance: Child-friendly Procedures
Phase 2: (to be completed by 30 Nov 2021)
• Review designed version of the documents, provide feedback to the graphic designers, including checking terminology and accessibility of the documents.
Deliverable 1: Documents a-g above are reviewed, revised and ready for design
Deliverable 2: Designed documents are reviewed, and feedback provided to vendor for finalization
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will have:
· 6 years of relevant experience with an advanced university degree
· Arabic and English language proficiency
· Experience in working on child protection and other humanitarian protection fields
· Experience in drafting or editing child protection and/or other humanitarian protection documents is required
· Experience in technical review or proof-reading English-Arabic child protection global guidance and familiar with the child protection terminology in the Minimum Standards in Child Protection in Humanitarian Action in Arabic and English (you will be requested to provide sample of your past work in this area)
· Prior experience in having worked with any United Nations/International Organization(s) would be an advantage
· Organisational awareness skills are desirable
The successful candidate will be home-based.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their bids along with a letter of motivation, Personal History Form (PHF), CV, bid and samples of documents that was reviewed and edited by the applicant to email@example.com indicating VN 11/FPS/DIP/2021 “Arabic Language Technical Review and Editing Consultant” in the subject of the email.
ANY APPLICATION RECEIVED WITHOUT A PHF WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages, and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, and gender identity.
Geneva, 06 July 2021