The Area Manager in his/her capacity is responsible for implementation of all programming in the north and the centre of Mali, including the management of all field offices, the project offices and the, supply chain. S/he will be responsible for leading the implementation and area coordination of Save the Children’s operations in the area.
Duration: 24 months (extendable according to performance and budget availability)
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strategic Programme Management
- Contribute to the development, review and revision of Mali programme strategy. This will include providing input and feedback on Country Strategy Plan amendments and area thematic plans.
- Lead the Management Team in the assigned Area of Operations (Field Managers, Senior Programme Managers, Admin/HR coordinator, Finance Coordinator, MEAL Coordinator, and the Supply chain Coordinator) in developing the Annual Operational Plan according to SCI guidelines, and ensuring effective delivery of the Programme. Moreover, the Area Manager will engage in development & presentation of proposals.
- Oversees the day to day implementation of the different Field Programmes and Projects in the area of Operations in close cooperation with the Field Managers and Programme Managers and Project Officers under the direction and support from the Director of Programme Operations and support from other colleagues from the SMT (Programme Development and Quality, Finance, HR, Awards,…) .
- Support the field and programme managers in compiling monthly and quarterly programme’s progress reviews and budget meetings towards accomplishment of the Annual Operational Plans.
- Lead and support the Field Management Teams in the different field offices in expanding the understanding and implementation of Child Rights Programming (CRP) throughout the programme and that these approaches are effectively implemented
- Ensure that systems are in place in the Areas of responsibility, for the control of all assets, funds, equipment, property, and facilities; submitting timely financial reports to the central office in Bamako as required.
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place, and regularly reviewed, to allow adequate financial management and control in the Area of Operation including:
- Cash and cash flow management and control;
- Expenditure procedures;
- Documentation of all controls and procedures.
- Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child Safeguarding, Child Protection policy, Code of Contact, and Fraud and Dishonest policy, Gender, Diversity and non-discrimination, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
- Lead, manage and motivate the management team in the Area of Operation, ensuring that they have clear objectives and receive meaningful feedback on their performance.
- Ensure with support from SMT, appropriate staffing of the Field offices in the Area of Operation planning and implementing specific actions to recruit manage and motivate staff in the Area offices.
- Lead the Area of Operation Management Team in ensuring the smooth day-to-day running of field operations and ensure that programme plans are clearly prioritized and communicated to the operations team effectively
- Work closely with the country Head of supply chain and his team to ensure adequate support in Logistics, Procurement, Administration and Construction to deliver Programme effectively of high standard.
- Serve as the security focal point for the Area of Operation through field managers and provide regular updates and analysis to the Director of Programme Operations, the Safety and Security Manager and the Country Director as appropriate. Ensure contingency plans are in place and rehearsed
- Assist in the development of security procedures and protocols for the field, sub offices under the Area of Operation, and ensure an understating and adherence of the same.
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships and take the lead role in representing the principles and work of SC to representatives of other organizations (UN, NGOs, INGOs, counterparts, donors, government, Authorities etc) who are working and visiting in the Area of Operations. This shall entail developing and maintaining strong working relationships with all devolved government/ authority levels (as appropriate) directly and through field managers and technical departments relevant to SC programme themes as well as attending all relevant regular meetings called by UN, NGOs, INGOs, counterparts, donors, and Government forums in state capitals.
- Produces monthly, quarterly & annual reports for Area of Operation.
- Ensure Awards, Supply chain, HR and finance reports are produced timely and to acceptable standards
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum Master’s degree in social and human sciences, legal sciences, project management, organization management, and all relevant fields related to the job description,
- Minimum of 5 years’ management experience in a highly operational NGO or corporate environment, including significant field operations experience running both emergency and development programs
- Robust experience of NGO program cycle management, and with experience of working within a complex and matrix organisation structure
- Proven experience in the management of field offices, multisectoral projects, emergency and resilience projects, in complex and volatile security contexts
- Good experience in remote management of field operations staffs
- Significant knowledge of international humanitarian systems, institutions and donors, and of procedures, accountability frameworks
- Substantial experience and knowledge of effective financial and budgetary control, securing and managing grants from major institutional donors
- Solid project management skills related to organisational development projects and international, cross-functional teams with a proven history of delivering results
- Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically
- An in-depth understanding of national and international development issues in particular in relation to children
- Previous experience of managing and developing a team and the ability to lead, motivate and develop others
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
- Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours, and work with incoming teams in the event of major emergencies
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
- Fluent French speaking and a good working knowledge of the English language
- Very good computer skills (Word – Excel – Outlook – Power point – Internet)
- Good work experience in the Sahelian countries or in similar contexts.
- Have already held a similar position
- Knowledge of the local languages et social context in the north and centre of Mali
- Commitment and understanding of the values and principles of the organization.
- Good ability to work in a diverse team
- Excellent capacity to work in remote areas with volatile security, as well as a minimum of supervision
- Being bilingual French-English (written and spoken) is a great asset.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=YS50YW1iYS4yMjE3NC4xMjE4NUBzYXZldGhlY2hpbGRyZW5hby5hcGxpdHJhay5jb20