Position Title : Intern – Assistant to Senior Regional Advisers
Duty Station : Home based
Classification : Intern, Grade Other
Type of Appointment : Internship, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 May 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Senior Regional Advisers (SRAs), located within IOM’s Office of the Director General, are the focal points for liaison with IOM Member States and provide advice to the Director General on political and diplomatic issues in IOM’s five regions (Americas, Asia Pacific, Europe and Central Asia, MENA, and Sub-Saharan Africa).
Under the overall supervision of the SRAs, and direct supervision of the Associate Expert for Europe and Central Asia, the successful candidate will support the SRAs and SRA team in liaising with IOM Member States, drafting policy documents, and taking minutes at internal and external meetings.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the SRAs in maintaining regular contact with relevant international, government, and non-governmental partners.
- Provide support to the SRAs and the Associate Expert in the preparation and coordination of policy dialogue and policy development in different regions.
- Support the Associate Expert in daily tasks related to the SRA team, including knowledge management and drafting documents.
- Research and analyse information on regionally specific migration issues.
- Take minutes and consolidate notes during regular meetings.
- Assist the SRA team in drafting and coordinating correspondence, notes, minutes, presentations and other related documents.
- Perform such other duties as required by the supervisor.
Training components and learning elements
It is expected that the selected intern will:
• The successful candidate will gain experience in working in an international multicultural environment, within the United Nations system.
• Gain experience in organization, management, and international cooperation activities
• Become acquainted with the work of the executive office within a related organization of the UN.
• Gain a better understanding of IOM’s work, as an inter-governmental organization in the field of Migration, and work on formulating and editing institutional strategies, priorities and workplans.
• The successful candidate will acquire technical knowledge in policy and strategy.
• S/he can also access online training courses at the disposal of all IOM staff.
• S/he will have the possibility to interact with IOM staff within Headquarters and Regional
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Master’s degree in Economics, International Relations, Business Administration, Social Sciences, Law, Development Studies, International Affairs, or a related field from an accredited academic institution.
• Experience working with humanitarian and development sectors, experience in a diplomacy, UN or intergovernmental setting preferable;
• Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs);
• Proven experience with strategic planning approaches, information/ data analysis, and report writing;
• Knowledge or experience of regional issues an advantage.
• Excellent written communication, especially in English.
• Computer literacy, especially database tools and virtual meetings.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios.
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds.
• Proven ability to produce high quality work within tight deadlines.
• Practical experience of multi-tasking, prioritizing and working independently, including remotely.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or Arabic is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Eligibility and Selection
This internship position is available for 2021 as part of IOM’s Diversity and Inclusion Internship Program. A main condition is that applicants should be citizens of countries which are not part of the OECD-DAC. In other words, this internship position is open to applicants from the Global South.
In 2021 Diversity Internships will be done remotely (teleworking). Interns will receive a monthly stipend, plus an amount to cover office and internet costs.
IOM strongly encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, LGBTI+ individuals, persons belonging to indigenous or tribal peoples, or ethnic minorities. We strongly suggest you mention in your application your belonging to any of the aforementioned groups. All information will be treated confidentially.
If you would like to explore all vacancies that are part of the ‘Diversity and Inclusion Internship Program 2021’, please go to: www.iom.int/diversityinternships
In general, the Internship Programme aims at attracting talented students and graduates who:
a) have a specific interest in, or whose studies have covered, areas relevant to IOM programmes and activities;
b) are holding a scholarship for internship placements in international organizations and/or for whom internship is required to complete their studies; or
c) are sponsored by governmental/non-governmental institutions and/or academia to work in specific areas relevant to both IOM and the sponsor;
d) are either students approaching the end of their studies and preparing a thesis, or recently graduated, who have less than two years of relevant working experience;
e) are between 20 and 36 years of age.
This internship programme will be supporting the Headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland. As this will be a teleworking opportunity and will be required to overlap with the duty station, please consider the time difference in the duty station prior to applying.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional enquiries will only be addressed if the candidate is shortlisted.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner
consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 May 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.04.2021 to 10.05.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: INT 2021 23 Intern -Assistant to Senior Regional Advisers – Homebased (56968767) Released
Posting: Posting NC56968768 (56968768) Released