UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is offering a an IICA full time position Khartoum RO Office Sudan.
Direct supervision is normally exercised by a (Snr) External Relations Officer or Representative who provides guidance on the applicable procedures. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ. External contacts are with a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including inter alia, government, media, embassies, donors, UN agencies, NGOs and other national and international organizations, as well as general public on matters of importance to the Organization.
UNHCR is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities and stateless people. Every year, millions of men, women and children are forced to flee their homes to escape conflict and persecution. We are in over 125 countries, using our expertise to protect and care for millions.
Title: Associate External Relations Officer
Duty Station: Khartoum, Sudan
Duration: through 31/12/2021
Contract Type: UNOPS International Individual Contractor – IICA 1
Closing date: 19 May 2021
Start date: ASAP
The UNHCR operation in Sudan serves different refugee groups, including people from South Sudan, Eritrea, Ethiopia, CAR, Chad, Yemen and Syria, but also internally displaced people, asylum-seekers and stateless individuals through a network of sub- and field offices as well as its Representation in Khartoum. UNHCR focuses on the protection and assistance to these groups in close coordination with national authorities and in partnership with UN and non-UN agencies as well as the civil society.
The External Relations Unit in Khartoum consists of two main pillars, Donor Relations and Communications/Public Information. The Associate External Relations/Reporting Officer will mainly work within the donor relations side of the unit and will be critical in supporting for the drafting of proposal projects, reporting, as well as to help keep track of donors’ engagement and visibility – often in collaboration with other units and colleagues in the field.
The incumbent will also have regular contacts with relevant functional units at UNHCR HQ and the regional Bureau. S/he will also help in the organization of meetings and missions with donors, including the preparation of materials/documents (Briefing kits, Talking Points, etc.).
Duties and responsibilities
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR’s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, media, academia, NGOs, private sector and persons of concern).
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide relevant information on UNHCR operations and financial requirements by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions and responding to donors’ requests for information on ad hoc basis.
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR’s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement programmes and projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
- Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Draft narrative and financial reports on contributions in compliance with specific donor requirements.
- Monitor earmarking level of funding for UNHCR Country operation and ensure appropriate visibility for donor contributions in compliance with UNHCR guidelines and specific donor requirements.
- Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR’s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases, handling interview requests and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- Promote visibility of UNHCR’s work and advocate for support for the people of concern through providing inputs for social media and other web content.
- Organize missions to the field and press briefings for external parties as required.
- Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
- Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fundraising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Field(s) of Education
Political Sciences; Social Sciences; International Relations;**
Journalism; Communications; or other relevant field;
Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment. Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience. Experience of working with social media.
· FR-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
· PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
· MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
· IT-Web Content Management
· IT-Computer Literacy
· ER-Communications/media/digital/social media communicat. monitoring/analysis/presentation
Knowledge of English.
The IICA will be based in Khartoum, Sudan with Travel to other states within Sudan.
Monthly fees range between USD $4000 to $9000, depending on the level of expertise of the candidate. Daily subsistence allowance for travel with Sudan will be payable as applicable.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation, Personal History Form (PHF) and CV to [SUDKH-HR@unhcr.org] indicating [Associate External Relations Officer] in the subject of the email.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.