Associate Manager, Advocacy and Engagement
Based in Washington, DC
10-25% international travel
Eligible for Work From Almost Anywhere Status
Reports to Director, Health Systems Accelerator
Who we are
Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We are a diverse group of over 5,000 entrepreneurial development professionals located in over 40 countries committed to making it easier for all people to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire. PSI is using its global presence and 50+ years of experience to help reimagine healthcare. We are working to shape market systems, shift policy and funding, and strengthen global capacity to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
Through its newly established Health Systems Accelerator (HSA), PSI aims to intensify its support to governments in low- and middle-income countries in their efforts to move towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC). PSI will do so by adopting a distinct approach that complements the work of other actors operating in the health systems strengthening landscape.
HSA seeks an energetic and creative candidate to join the managing team for aUSD$4.8-millionthree-year (Jan 2021- Dec 2023) investment calledthe Self-Care Trailblazer Group (SCTG), made possible with the generous support of the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation. The SCTG is a global membership coalition established in November 2018 to advance the evidence, practice, learning, and policy landscape of self-care. PSI houses the staff that make up the SCTG Secretariat, which supports the coalition-building functions for the SCTG, including operations, administration, communications, outreach, and global advocacy. The Secretariat’s coalition-building role is guided by the SCTG Coalition Steering Committee. The Secretariat also oversees deliverables for the SCTG’s programmatic elements and reporting to donors.
The SCTG is comprised of a diverse set of institutional and individual members working to advance the practice of self-care to improve health around the globe. Our more than 100 institutional members and over 70 individual members include representatives of multilateral and bilateral organizations, private foundations, governments, civil society, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations, advocacy groups, research and academic institutions, and the private sector. To achieve its strategic outcomes, the SCTG will increase the active engagement, visibility, collaboration, and geographic and sectoral diversity of its membership. The SCTG will do this by creating a stronger value proposition for existing and new future constituencies.
PSI seeks an Associate Manager, Advocacy and Engagement that will serve as an integral member of the Self-Care Trailblazer Group (SCTG) Secretariat, led by the Health Systems Accelerator (HSA) team, to fine tune and implement the SCTG’s partnership and coalition building strategy, including supporting membership outreach, governance coordination, and advocacy campaigns to advance self-care.
- Support and collaborate with advocacy and communications staff to develop content, events and campaigns that inspire target constituencies. 20% of Time
- Work with Senior Manager, Advocacy and Associate Manager, Advocacy to developkey messaging and content strategy forcommunications campaigns, events, and priority conferences. This could include technical content such asdigital and conference presentations, briefs, and website copy; key marketing materials such as fact sheets, sell sheets and marketing brochures; and promoting campaign media such as videos, blog posts and other digital content.
- Provide logisticalforevents and priority conferences and liaise withSecretariat team members on other event needs, including supporting in preparing for oral presentations/panel content, creating material that showcases the work of the coalition, and coordinating dry runs and offering tailored support as needed.
- Assist the SCTG in growing the coalition by providing administrative support and expanding coalition communications and outreach efforts. 20% of Time
- Work with project team to identify and leverage key opportunities, channels, and events to advance the SCTG brand and influence key external stakeholders and decision-makers.
- Coordinate monthly call for content for monthly coalition newsletter, manage members’ submissions (research, communications, and advocacy), compile and coordinate production and dissemination.
- Manage SCTG website and coordinate content update and creation.
- Manage development and execution of SCTG membership engagement and outreach strategy, activities, and tools and resources. 30% of Time
- Build relationships with members and learn about their priorities for participation in the foundation and use that knowledge to support the development of a membership engagement strategy.
- Support development and implementation of a rational, coherent coalition communications plan that galvanizes members, provides essential information to them, and strategically builds the SCTG.
- Conduct outreach to keep coalition members engaged in SCTG’s work and support in prospective member recruitment.
- Assist new member onboarding by helping stakeholders navigate our resources and events. Act as an ongoing point of contact for members on participation and administrative matters.
- Develop and implement overall membership communications strategy.
- Maintain members-only Slack channel and expand and maintain SCTG member database.
- Track coalition members and partners, maintaining the comprehensive database of contact information and membership/reach of each member.
- Plan and manage logistics for in-person and virtual event, including Annual Member Summit.
- Provide regular updates to the Secretariat Director and the Coalition Steering Committee on the member community and advise on how they can best help strengthen that community and improve the value proposition for members.
- Provide Secretariat support to SCTG governance bodies and working groups, supporting coordination of governance committee meetings, facilitating communication across different structures and work-streams on a regular basis through monthly calls and regular emails, monitoring and documenting and providing updates on progress that highlight challenges, gaps and lessons learned. 20% of Time
- Support strategy development and track implementation of the SCTG operational work-plan, supporting the drafting of monitoring and annual donor reports. 10% of Time
Time percentages listed above are not exact. They are estimates and may change.**Qualifications**
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field (e.g., Communications, Advocacy, Journalism, Public Policy, or Social Sciences)
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field preferred
- At least 3 years of related experience. Equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted.
- Understanding of international global health desired.
- Comfortable leading digital campaigns and outreach, including knowledgeable of the latest trends, tools and best practices in digital advocacy and communications.
- Strong negotiation skills. Comfortable engaging in challenging conversations internally and externally.
- Demonstrated ability to work with large, multinational, and intercultural teams.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, and ability to synthesize information for diverse audiences and build consensus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment and manage competing priorities through proactive communication and effective multi-tasking.
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
Measurement:You use hard evidence to make decisions and guide your work. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
Honesty:You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
Collaboration:You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
Trust:You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
Commitment:You are in it for the long-haul and want to grow with the organization, just like PSI serves its consumers and partners with host-country governments through thick and thin.
References will be required. The successful candidate will be required to pass a background check. For domestic positions: Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
Applications must contain a resume and cover letter addressed to the Senior Manager, Advocacy. Must be willing to provide professional references and writing samples upon request.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.