Duty Station: Islamabad, Pakistan
Application Deadline: 25-Jul-2021
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Pakistan
UNOPS commenced operations in Pakistan in 1999 and significantly up-scaled activities from 2005 onwards to support populations affected by and vulnerable to earthquakes. In 2010, UNOPS opened a permanent office in Islamabad to support the Government of Pakistan and other partners to undertake humanitarian and reconstruction services, following the most devastating flood in the nation’s history.
UNOPS Pakistan has been implementing projects in the areas of early recovery and reconstruction of community infrastructure, project management and related monitoring and verification, community development, fund management, and procurement. Supported strategically by a regional operational hub and UNOPS headquarters in Copenhagen and within the overarching framework of the ONE UN Programme, UNOPS Pakistan continues to deliver projects across the country under its core delivery practices of sustainable infrastructure, sustainable procurement, and sustainable project management.
UNOPS is based in Islamabad and has a provincial office in Peshawar. UNOPS is working with different donors and UN agencies to implement infrastructure, procurement, HR Services and other projects in different parts of Pakistan.
Similarly, UNOPS is also acting as the Local Fund Agent of the Global Fund. In Pakistan, UNOPS monitors a grant portfolio of $600,000,000 by undertaking regular and mandatory field visits across the country including FATA to provide independent monitoring of the activities carried out by the grantees of the Global Fund.
UNOPS Pakistan office is part of the Bangladesh Operational Hub in the Asia Region. With a steady growth of the project portfolio in recent years and a new strategic direction.
Background Information – Job Specific
The Biomedical Engineering Technician – Senior Analyst provides technical assistance and expertise with reference to prepare medical supplies specifications, participate in evaluation of competitive process, Monitoring and field coordination, ensuring high quality and consistency of work, for the installation and commissioning of medical equipment. The bio medical engineer promotes a collaborative, client focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the Project Team.
The specific tasks might include but will not be limited to:
- Review and consolidate the equipment lists by type of service. Review their operational performances, and make recommendations
- Preparation of the technical specifications and bill of quantities are to be incorporated into the tender documents of the medical equipment to be procured under the project
- Prepare Cost Estimates for the medical equipment to be procured under the project.
- Preparation of the technical requirements for the installation of the equipment.
- Organize and supervise the logistic of delivery and installation
- Take part in the bid evaluation process in the supplier selections for the medical equipment supply and installation services
- Verifications of imported medical equipment for specification compliance prior to installations.
- Supervision of installation of the medical equipment/systems ensuring the works are carried out as per the design specifications and contracts administrations of installation works
- Checking and certifying of contractor’s progress payment claims in respect of medical equipment items
- Supervision of testing and commissioning of medical equipment/systems on completion of installations, and the preparation of the commissioning and client’s hand-over reports.
- Promote and follow-up medical equipment related projects in the Country.
- Prepare operational and maintenance plans for all medical equipment/systems installed under the project, and issue to the client on project completion.
- Prepare work progress reports and contract close-out reports.
- Review the medical assets/systems operational performances produce reports and follow up on any warranty maintenance as required.
- Supervision of training of the medical staff on operation and maintenance tasks, and records keeping
- Travel to project sites if required.
- Participation in the meetings with the project stakeholders and work with them closely in the phase of Needs Assessment for the identification of the required medical equipment. This can also include Needs Assessment for existing facilities or locations.
- Participation in field site visits to identified locations as required, to determine the availability of existing required services and space requirements, particularly for big size medical equipment such as X-Rays, MRI, CT.
- Project implementation coordination with the Government and other project stakeholders**Education/Experience/Language Requirements**
- An advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in biomedical engineering or in any relevant area is required.
- A university degree (Bachelor’s degree level) with an additional 2 years of relevant professional experience will be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Certification in Project Management (PRINCE2, PMI, etc.) is desirable
- A minimum of two (2) years (or more depending on academic credentials) of progressively responsible experience in medical equipment management, purchase and/or installation and maintenance is required.
- Working experience in developing countries will be an asset.
- Experience in the maintenance and the acquisition of health biomedical equipment is an asset
- Experience of successfully working with a variety of health sector stakeholders, particularly governments and development partners is an asset.
- Proficiency with computers in particular AutoCAD, and other related software related to the positions field of expertise is highly desirable.
- Experience working with developing nations and/or large global donors such as Global Fund, USAID, World Bank, etc. is an advantage
- Fluency and proficiency in English is required.
- Fluency in another UN language is desirable
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (L-ICA)
Contract level: LICA Specialist (LICA- 9)
Contract duration: 1 year (Retainer contract)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Retainer Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA): is issued for a period of time during which the services of the individual contractor may be required intermittently. It will specify a unit price (e.g. amount per day actually worked). For budgetary purposes, a monetary limit will be specified at the time the ICA is awarded and issued.
- UNOPS shall have no obligation to obtain any minimum quantity of Services from the Individual Contractor during the duration of the retainer ICA.
- Payment will be made only after completion of work (if any) or reaching agreed milestones.
- A retainer ICA does not accord any exclusivity to the Individual Contractor with respect to the Services listed in the job description. UNOPS shall have no limitation on its right to obtain Services of the same kind from any other source at any time.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must comply with the standards of conduct required of a UN civil servant, when carrying out their official UNOPS responsibilities and also all other times. This includes the standards of conduct set forth in the UN Secretary-General’s Bulletin of 9 October 2003 entitled “Special Measures for Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Sexual Abuse” (ST/SGB/2003/13) and the UN Secretary-General’s Bulletin of 18 June 2002 entitled “Regulations Governing the Status, Basic Rights and Duties of Officials other than Secretariat Officials, and Experts on Mission” (ST/SGB/2002/9) as they may be amended from time to time.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must comply with all applicable UNOPS policies and instructions. This includes the obligation to declare any outside activity that could result in an actual or perceived conflict with the interests of the UN; as well as to refrain from using information gained through the UNOPS Individual Contractor Agreement contract for the Individual Contractor’s own purposes or to help a third party (unless the information is already in the public domain), in particular but not only in relation to procurement of works, goods and services.
- UNOPS Individual Contractors must abide by UN safety and security policies, instructions, directives, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- The standard terms and conditions of the UNOPS ICA as of the present date can be found at https://content.unops.org/HR-Documents/ICA_contract/Annex-A-ENGLISH.pdf
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
How to apply
Interested Candidates may Apply online for the Biomedical Engineering Technician – Senior Analyst ( Retainer) Position by visiting the UNOPS career site on the following link below: