CARE seeks a world of hope, inclusion and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and all people live in dignity and security. CARE provides cross-border humanitarian assistance in Syria, and refugee assistance within southern Turkey to people affected by the Syrian crisis. In response to CARE increased Syrian response cross-border humanitarian works the program is now endeavoring to undertake an inside NW Syria direct implementation to address humanitarian needs, enhance the quality of our programming and maximum response capacity and support to CARE’s partners. We are looking for a trustworthy, dynamic, innovative and resourceful person to join the Area office in the capacity of Emergency Response coordinator to be based in Jarablus, northern Aleppo, Syria.
The Area Emergency Response coordinator will be part of the Area office team and report directly to the Area programs manager with technical reporting line to Emergency Response Project Manager at the country office. The Area emergency response coordinator will be responsible assuring efficient and high quality implementation of CARE’s direct emergency response programing in Northern Aleppo. Area emergency response coordinator will manage the emergency response team in Jarablus district and be the key focal point for field support services, other sector teams and external organizations at the field level. S/He will be overall responsible for the implementation of emergency response activities and responsible for providing effective documentation and reporting to the team in Gaziantep of all activities in the field in line with CARE’s polices and donor requirements. This role will work closely with the Area programs manager and emergency project manager at the country office to develop detailed implementation plans for project activities, developing appropriate implementation tools to track progress and monitor the context. S/he will also build capacity, and identify capacity needs, of field staff to ensure they are able to implement activities to a high standard. S/he will also liaise with other actors to ensure effective coordination.
The person will be managing diverse teams and engaging with a number of internal and external stakeholders and is therefore expected to have strong interpersonal skills, understanding, cooperative, organized, a high ability to work within a team to take initiative and skills in influencing to support policy and advocacy.
Responsibilities and Tasks
Job Responsibility #1 Project Planning and Emergency Preparedness
- Create a detailed work plan which identifies and sequences the activities needed to successfully complete the project.
- Coordination of and delivery of agreed plans and interventions and provide inputs into Emergency Preparedness Plans.
- Work with the Programs team to monitor humanitarian trends and evolving scenarios in the operational areas of concern.
- Under the supervision of the Area Manager and in collaboration with Area programs managers, sensitize relevant stakeholders to the program.
- Share timely updates on the ongoing contextual changes and humanitarian situation of affected communities.
- Ensure rapid emergency assessments are undertaken and draw up a strategy for emergency intervention
- When requested, act as representative for CARE’s emergency response to local authorities and members of the humanitarian community.
- Organize Area emergency project kick-off and close-out meetings
- Plan the various stages of project implementation and set direction by prioritizing and organizing activities and resources to achieve project objectives.
Job Responsibility #2 Implementation and Program Coordination
- Ensure timely and technically sound planning, implementation and monitoring of emergency response activities/projects, including budget responsibility, in the assigned areas
- Prepare and maintain up to date work plans and expenditures plans, in line with project and budget documents.
- Undertake regular field/onsite visits to ensure technical support to emergency response staff and proper monitoring of the activities’ implementation in the areas of operation.
- Ensure project implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to reach desired impacts.
- Anticipate and mitigate risks and trouble-shoot any unforeseen challenges during the project implementation
- Manage the Area emergency response team and provide any needed support.
- Support program team to develop project tools, including assessment questionnaires.
- Monitor the progress of the project and make adjustments as necessary to ensure the successful completion of the project
- Establish a communication schedule to update stakeholders including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project
- Coordinate with various teams on the delivery schedule, payment approvals and vendor payments to avoid any unnecessary delays;
- Ensure correct beneficiary selection procedure and criteria are followed by ER Team.
- Ensure any feedback from beneficiaries or target communities shared by the team are responded to appropriately or raised with Area programs manager or Area Manager if needed.
Job Responsibility #3 Administration and Operational Management of Project Implementation
- Monitor expenditure monthly against the approved budget.
- Represent the program team in the tender committee and support the procurement field team
- Identify the financial needs and requirements of activities and prepare their estimated budget.
- Coordinate with finance staff and security focal points in field offices for timely distributions in line with security policies and procedures.
Job Responsibility #4 Personnel Management
- Coach and mentor CARE staff on different areas related to Operations.
- Set clear objectives for and provide mentorship and supervision to direct reports.
- Ensure that regular and quality staff evaluations are conducted for all operations staff.
- Manage technical staff and/or volunteers according to the established policies and practices of the organization
- Ensure that personnel files are properly maintained and kept confidential
- Ensure that all project personnel receive an appropriate orientation to the organization and at the beginning of each new project
- Work with line management and Administration Section regarding the recruitment of field staff, ensuring that CARE’s recruitment/procurement procedures policies are followed.
- Based on their job descriptions monitor staff performance and provide constructive feedback to staff in line with CARE CO Performance management procedures.
- Ensure that staff participates in the development of project weekly/monthly work plans.
- Work closely with the program manager to support Area staff to manage their day-to-day activities and staff performance
- At all times ensure the safety and security of all Project staff in line with CARE COs policies and procedures.
- Representing CARE in formal and informal field meetings with partners and stakeholders at field levels, reflecting the honorable image of the organization based on cooperation and mutual respect.
- Invest in building positive relationships with the communities and raising awareness of our work; produce and submit weekly and monthly reports on project activities as required
- Ensure that the minimum standards of humanitarian relief are maintained in accordance with the Core Humanitarian Standard on Quality and Accountability and CARE’s Framework on Accountability to Affected Populations.
- Act as roving coordinator to cover gaps in other programs when needed.
Job Responsibility #5 Program Development
Contribute to the refining of data collection, monitoring, and reporting tools, and to the harmonization of emergency preparedness and response, and distribution methodologies and tools across the area.
- Assess the activities undertaken and ensure efficient use of resources;
- Ensure lessons learned are documented, shared and reflected in project planning and decision making
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members
- Draft (internal) narrative reports and contribute to the development of financial reports through regular budgetary follow up.
- Contribute to the drafting of (external) project progress reports, ensuring the quality and accuracy of technical information provided
- Contribute to the development of new programs and preparation of proposals and budgets.
- Support the development of food security, cash visibility and market assessment reports.
- Oversee regular market monitoring in key target locations, compile and report information to relevant staff in for timely decision-making
- Comply with CARE policies and practices with respect to gender and diversity, child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, and equal opportunities.
- Any other duties as required. Qualifications
- University degree in a relevant field.
- Certification in project management or related technical course.
- Project Management qualification (PMD, PMP, PRINCE2)
- CALP Certified training
- At least 4 years of experience in emergency preparedness and response , Cash based response, with 2 years in managing emergency response team.
- Experience working on cash, voucher or food distributions or other food security programming
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures.
- Experience of conducting trainings and coaching/mentoring.
- Proven capacity for the team building and the performance management of a diverse team.
- Proven capacity for policy development, and long-term strategic planning.
- Experience in do-no-harm approaches in a humanitarian context, preferably in Syrian context
- Experience in working with INGOs and fully understand Food security, Cash based response program system.
- Demonstrated understanding of and experience with policies, protocols, and procedures of international NGO’s and donor agencies.
- Proficient in USAID rules and regulations; prior experience working on USAID (including OFDA, FFP) funded programs preferred and other donors such as GFFO, ECHO, etc
- Can-Do Attitude
- Highly skilled in organizing large-scale, fast-paced, responsive field programs.
- Solid ability to provide team-building, coaching, and development for staff as well as encourage cross-functional collaboration and cooperation.
- Advanced professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, and knowledge of IT system.
- Excellent proven communication skills, including working with multiple stakeholder groups, including children.
- Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to handle a high workload and to work independently.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task under pressure.
- Ability to work well in unstable and changing security environments.
- Strong organization, multi-tasking and time management skills.
- Strong skills in inter-personal communications, able to work effectively with multiple stakeholders in a complex, multi-actor environment.
- Strong skills in written communication, including effective report writing
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and the ability to work effectively across a wide variety of cultural contexts.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application
- Fluent in Arabic and highly desired to have advanced English language skills.
Child Protection Policy
Child abuse in all forms is unacceptable to CARE Turkey, which recognizes its responsibility to protect children from harm in all areas of its work. CARE Turkey is committed to ensuring a child-safe environment and is applying a zero-tolerance approach towards any kind of child abuse and exploitation.
Discrimination, Abuse, and Harassment Policy
CARE Turkey expressly prohibits and will not tolerate any form of discrimination, abuse, harassment (sexual or otherwise), based upon race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, disability, or military status. CARE employees and related personnel must under no circumstances take part in any form of discrimination, harassment, or abuse (physical, sexual or verbal), intimidation or exploitation, or in any other way infringe the rights of others inside or outside CARE.
A valid identity is required for work possession, and the candidate can start work in CARE only upon delivery of all the required documents, also upon submitting any fake or incorrect document, the job offer will be canceled or the employment contract will be terminated if the falsification of files or certificates is detected. Later.
How to apply
Interested candidates, please attach a Curriculum Vitae in English and a Cover letter (in a separate file of no more than one A4 page) describing how your skills and experience match the requirements of this post, following to provided link:
Applications in languages other than English will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
* CARE International is an Equal Opportunity Employer