IFES is currently recruiting for a Chief of Party (COP) position for the proposed Three-Nietti Elections program in Senegal. If awarded, this program will seek to strengthen the accountability, transparency, and integrity of Senegal’s electoral process, working with election management bodies and civil society, with a focus on elections anticipated in 2022 and 2024. The COP will provide overall leadership, management and general technical direction of the entire program, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and actors as well as a focus on achieving the project results. The COP serves as IFES’ primary in-country representative and coordinator of programming with local and international actors, responsibility for coordinating and all aspects of program management and implementation. The COP will be responsible for ensuring quality control and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance provided under the award. The COP will be expected to identify issues and risks related to activity implementation in a timely manner and suggest appropriate adjustments. The primary focus of the position is providing technical support to stakeholders and ensuring successful completion of project activities. S/he/they will be responsible for maintaining pro-active contacts with stakeholders and the international community including spearheading communications with the designated USAID AOR and Agreement Officer.
The Chief of Party will direct technical implementation of IFES programs within the assigned location and oversee management of the IFES project field office. This position would be based in Dakar, Senegal, and report to IFES’ Regional Director for Africa.
Technical Direction and Program Implementation
- * Serve as program director for the assigned project, providing technical support and advice to the Commission électorale nationale autonome, Direction Générale des Élections ,and other various government and non-government stakeholders.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of IFES’ project(s) in Senegal.
- Oversee the design, implementation, and evaluation of program strategies and activities.
- Prepare and manage the implementation of the project(s) annual work plans in fulfillment of the project’s strategic objectives and goals, and within the allocated budget.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with local government and non-government stakeholders, including high-level officials in government ministries and election management bodies.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with international NGOs and the donor community to ensure successful implementation of the project and avoid duplication of efforts.
- Coordinate closely with consultants and field experts on program components.
- Lead the drafting and timely submission of detailed, combined reports to HQ, and ensure that they meet donor and IFES reporting requirements.
- Contribute toregular reportssubmitted to IFES HQ, providing updates on program activities, progress, and challenges; outreach activities; relevant events in Senegal; support required from IFESHQ; and activities planned for the coming period.
- Lead and/or contribute to written technical reports, briefing papers, and IFES thought pieces, both program-specific and non-program specific.
- Represent IFES in global, regional, national and sub-national events and in international meetings, at donor meetings and other fundraising activities, as speaker and/or spokesperson for IFES.
- Ensure the highest quality of program monitoring, evaluation, reporting, and communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- * Ensure, in conjunction with the IFES HQ team, compliance with IFES and donor rules and regulations, particularly with respect to fiscal management.
- Establish strong working relationships with the field staff to facilitate the completion of program tasks in a timely manner and within the allocated budget.
- Provide general supervision and mentoring of local and international field staff, including performance appraisals, staff development and other management issues.
- In coordination with IFESHQ, assist in the identification, recruitment, and hiring of in-country office staff, as well as local and international technical consultants.
- Provide oversight and management of technical consultants, including review of all consultant reports and deliverables.
- Assist in program development for IFES in Senegal by identifying additional technical needs in-country, contributing to the development of project proposals and reaching out to the international donor community in an effort to diversify IFES funding sources.
- Serve as the primary coordinator for the project, which includes primary responsibility for the overall success and implementation of the project, including but not limited to, effective coordination of partners’ joint activities, regular reporting and meeting with the local USAID and proper sharing of programming information among project partners.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Regional Director or IFES senior management.
- * Minimum of fifteen (15) years of experience managing elections, legal reform, and/or civil society engagement work, with significant experience working in Senegal preferred. At least five (5) years of which must be in senior program management, including direct supervision of professional and support staff.
- * Demonstrated experience working with host governments, including leadership and technical staff.
- * Familiarity with the international donor community and experience as an action-oriented interlocutor with democracy-development actors at all levels.
- * Excellent past performance references.
- * Demonstrated knowledge of USAID and other donor rules, regulations and priorities.
- * Demonstrated knowledge of proposal and report writing and management of budgets.
- * Demonstrated experience integrating and mainstreaming gender issues into interventions.
- * Advanced communication and interpersonal skills.
Related Knowledge and Skills
Prior experience managing an international office in a politically sensitive and challenging environment. Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks, demonstrating strong diplomacy skills and cultural sensitivity. Strong consultative, collaborative and participatory way of working. Strong interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders. Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proven experience navigating complex and high-pressure operating environments. Experience living and managing governance and/or elections projects in West Africa. Knowledge of local/regional politics and development preferred.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French.
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”