Job Title: Chief of Party, PSI Somalia
Up to 5% international travel
Reports to: Country Representative, PSI Somalia
Contract duration: Four years
Expected start date: TBD
Status: This position is contingent on successful funding
Who we are
With over 50 years of experience, working in over 60 countries, Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI is reimagining healthcare, by putting the consumer at the center, and wherever possible – bringing care to the front door. We are working to fix market failures, shape future health markets, and shift policy and funding to better support consumer empowered healthcare.
PSI is seeking a Chief of Party (CoP) for the anticipated SOMALIA “DAMAL CAAFIMAAD” project – Improving Healthcare Services in Somalia”. The CoP will be accountable for the overall leadership of the project and for delivering results, in accordance with the project work plan, at the required standard of quality. The COP will act as the main point of contact with both the Federal and FMS**,** donor and other stakeholders involved in program implementation. The successful candidate should possess broad experience in managing and implementing major donor-funded health projects of similar size and scope (ideally, World Bank-funded), and a track record of successfully managing government, donor, and community relations.
Sound like you? Read on.
The DAMAL CAAFIMAAD” project aims to improve the coverage of essential health and nutrition services in project areas and strengthen stewardship capacity of Ministries of Health.
The CoP will provide overall oversight of the Component two of the project which focuses on developing government stewardship capacities, at both the Federal and FMS levels.
The CoP is expected to build and maintain relationships and capacity among partners, including operational capacity of FGS- and FMS-MOH in respective functional areas. He/she is expected to manage the project’s operational, financial, and project teams across the project regions. Represent the project at high-level meetings, conferences, and other forums. Maintain effective and regular communication with donors, implementing partners, and government entities. Ensure the effective use of the project resources and ensure compliance the donor standards. Ensure high-quality periodic reporting in line with the Government and donor requirements. Qualifications
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree or higher in public Health, health management systems, health Policy business administration, international Development, or related fields.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in managing and leading technical and administrative teams for health projects in sub-Saharan Africa or other resource-limited settings, including Somalia (preferable).
- Senior-level expertise one or more of the following technical areas, health systems strengthening, contract management, public financial management, health financing, health governance and health information systems
- Proven experience developing and managing, complex health programs, including experience in the following: program design, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation & developing program budgets, (preferably World Bank-funded projects)
- Experience leading community-level service delivery, and organizational capacity development with government and partners, preferably in Somalia or sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience developing or improving HMIS at the national level and building government capacity.
- Experience working in Private Sector Health Service delivery, and partnerships preferably in Somalia.
- Demonstrated skills in building and maintaining relationships with host governments, donors, and other stakeholders including private sector stakeholders, local organizations, and partners.
- Experience of working with Somali government, especially the Federal Member States of Somalia, is an added advantage.
- Proven leadership experience galvanizing government support and buy-in and working collaboratively with high-level stakeholders.
- Demonstrated management and supervisory capabilities in leading large teams and projects of similar scope, including financial and human resource management skills.
- Working knowledge of and experience with World Bank-funded activity management, policies, and procedures.
- Possess the required oral, written communication and presentation skills in English,
- knowledge of Somali language is a plus.
- Ability to travel within Somalia as required and as the security situation allows.
- Somali nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- References will be required.
- The successful candidate wil be required to pass a background check.
What would get us excited?
- The successful candidate will be a creative, innovative, and strategic thinker, and will have excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills; and proven ability to produce results.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively negotiating with host governments, donors, other World Bank projects, international and local organizations, and partners.
- Experience in building institutional, local technical, management, and leadership capacity.
- Ability to successfully recruit, train, develop, and manage staff.
- Ability to manage all donor-required programmatic and financial reporting requirements, including sub-grant management.
- Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day-to-day operations of the project.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent management skills
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
ACCESSIBILITY NOTICE: If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process due to a physical or mental disability, please send an email to: email@example.com or call (202)785-0072.