Location: Calabar, Nigeria
Reports to: WCS Nigeria Country Program Director**
Direct Reports: Head of Monitoring, Evaluation, Adaptation and Learning (MEAL)
Start Date: 3 January 2022 (subject to funding)
Position Type: Full-time
Expected Travel: Frequent travel to Abuja and Bauchi State
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is seeking a dynamic, experienced and motivated Chief of Party (CoP) for an anticipated 5-year USAID-funded WASH project.
Candidates will need to demonstrate they have the necessary experience and skills to provide central oversight for the project, ensure the quality of activities implemented by partners, and provide strategic vision for the project. S/he will oversee the design and implementation of the WASH project that includes the sustainable strengthening of sanitation infrastructure and accelerating the adoption of key sanitation behaviors.
The CoP will deliver on the following principal responsibilities in full coordination with, and supported by, the WCS Nigeria management team and the WCS Central Africa Regional team.
a) Serve as the primary WCS point of contact and authorized representative with USAID, WCS senior management in regard to all communications on the program.
- Maintain good working relationships with USAID, all program participants, stakeholders, beneficiaries and other relevant organizations both in Nigeria and in the wider West Africa region.
- Maintain close working relationships with the WCS management team.
- Ensure that USAID and internal WCS stakeholders are kept regularly up to date on program activities, deliverables and events.
b) Coordinate the implementation, management and administration of the USAID program:
- Ensure that program objectives are achieved to a high standard and on schedule.
- Perform internal control functions to manage day-to-day operations of the project
- Oversee delivery of the program’s technical activities in accordance with the work plan.
- Ensure that adequate technical assistance is available, supervising the recruitment and engagement of technical experts, partners and project staff, as appropriate, to help achieve the program objectives.
- In coordination with the WCS Nigeria Country Program Director, liaise with the Government, civil society, business groups, and other organisations as needed to coordinate activities and achieve the program objectives.
- Oversee and coordinate technical guidance and training to WCS staff and WASH implementing partners.
- In liaison with the WCS finance team, ensure financial planning and execution of approved budgets is in compliance with financial and administrative policies and procedures of USAID and WCS.
- In liaison with the WCS Regional Grants Manager, ensure contractual and procurement procedures are executed in a timely manner in compliance with administrative policies and procedures of USAID and WCS.
c) Through the development of robust monitoring and evaluation systems, ensure that all USAID reporting requirements are met to a high standard and on schedule.
- Preparation, submission for internal review and final submission of all contractually required technical program documentation (work plans, budgets, annual reports etc.).
- Ensure all financial reporting is prepared and submitted in a timely manner.
d) Ensure that the program is implemented in accordance with:
- WCS policies and procedures.
- The requirements set out in the award contractual agreement.
- USAID and relevant U.S. Government rules and regulations.
- The national law of Nigeria.
Qualifications and Requirements:
a) Significant experience in program management.
- Experience working in interdisciplinary and multicultural teams and managing several major activities simultaneously.
- Experience managing international donor-funded projects, with multiple project partners and diverse project elements preferred.- Proven ability to achieve project targets and objectives, delivering quality work on tight deadlines.
- Experience of designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation frameworks.
b) Strong understanding of U.S. Government rules and regulations that govern the implementation of USAID-funded activities.
- Experience managing USAID-funded programs required.
- Proven ability to work effectively with USAID mission staff would be an advantage.
c) Knowledge of African WASH issues.
- A Masters or PhD degree in public health, engineering or other relevant field experience.
- At least 10 years of professional experience in international development including leading the design and implementation of WASH projects, or a combination of relevant experience.
- Experience working in remote field settings preferred.
- Experience working in the West Africa region would be a distinct advantage.
d) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated representational skills, with an ability to maintain favourable public relations.
- Experience developing and maintaining professional working relationships in a multi-stakeholder environment.
- Demonstrated high-level competency in writing and editing of professional technical reports and other written products.
- Fluency in English
The Wildlife Conservation Society is an international NGO headquartered at Bronx Zoo in New York City working to save wildlife and wild lands and to meet global challenges in over 50 countries in Africa, Asia, the Americas and the world’s oceans. The Africa Program is the largest of WCS’s field programs, with approximately 1,100 staff in 12 country programs focused across three major regions (Central Africa, Sudano-Sahel, Eastern Africa, Madagascar and Western Indian Ocean).
Our MISSION is to save wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education and inspiring people to value nature. Our VISION is a world where wildlife thrives in healthy lands and seas valued by societies that embrace and benefit from the diversity and integrity of life on earth. Our GOAL is to conserve the world’s largest wild places in 16 priority regions, home to more than 50% of the world’s biodiversity. Our VALUES are Respect, Accountability and Transparency, Innovation, Diversity and Inclusion, Collaboration, Integrity.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce: qualified women, people from all ethnic backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value.
EOE AA M/F/SO/Vets/Disabled
How to apply
Application Deadline of 31 December 2021**.**
In order to apply for this position and if you meet the above qualifications, skills and experience, you should apply by emailing a detailed application/cover letter and CV together with the names and contact information of three references to: AfricaApplications@wcs.org. Please include “Nigeria COP” in the subject line of your email. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews