Overview of position
BACKGROUND AND PROJECT DESCRIPTION:
Our client supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, our client offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
The ongoing conflict has caused significant disruptions to the supply chain and to the overall availability of services. In light of the reduced or even absent provision of public services, communities have been affected by disease and environmental degradation. Physical damage to infrastructure and the lack of functionality in one sector often spills over into other sectors with significant consequences on both the access to, and quality of services, that are often interrelated.
Our client is undertaking a multi-sectoral engagement aims at restoring urban services mainly in energy, urban roads, water and sanitation (WASH), municipality services with focus in Water and Sanitation targeted cities in Yemen using an integrated approach.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the City Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to lead the technical supervision and construction monitoring of rehabilitation works including the calculation of quantities. Travel will be expected to remote sites.
Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve but not limited to:
· The City Engineer shall be responsible for the progress control and quality control of construction works. S/He will be responsible for supervision of all works of the contractor and thereby ensure onsite quality control of construction works
· Review and analyse existing documents
· Review and analyse investigation reports
· Supervise site engineers
· Calculate quantities
· Liaise with technical, procurement colleagues and client and funding representatives as required
· Monitor implementation progress to ensure quality, safety and efficiency
· Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
· Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
· Prepare and review progress reports that address specific clients and stakeholder requirements when necessary
· Review contractor’s method statements, safeguards requirements and monitor compliance with approved documents
· Work closely with other technical professionals and contractors in the planning of work, scheduling of tasks
· Advise the Project Managers of any deviations from the plan. Identify areas where alterations to approved design may be required and lead the process to secure approval through our client’s agreed channels
· Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to clients and stakeholders is achieved. Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted
· Monitor and evaluate the performance of service providers
· Ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements
· Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs to project coordinator and manager
· Able to produce civils bills of quantities
· Highlight possible non or late delivery prior to the event
· Carry out site inspections and assessments as required
· Monitor contractor’s progress during Defects Notification Periods and compile reports as required
· Develop specifications, procedures and QA/QC protocols when required
· Proactively assist senior staff in managing the design projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected by our client, while delivering the program within its time and budget constraints
· Liaise with clients and address requirements when required
· Carry out technical reviews as appropriate
· Well knowledge of the chain management
· Review all the technical documents and BOQs
· Prepare the variation orders of the contractors if found
· Well knowledge of project management and closure
· Prepare the monthly Timesheet for the retainers
Coordination, Delivery, and Performance:
· Responsible for day-to-day coordination with the contractors and suppliers according to the needs and requirements on site;
· Inspects and report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets OUR CLIENT quality standards
· Provide support and guidance to the contractor and assists in resolving site problems, as necessary;
· Responsible for supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to the project, and the assignment and monitoring of duties during the progress of works;
· Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security, and Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design and construction phases;
· Ensure PSEA measures and gender mainstreaming are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan;as well projects’ action plans
· Perform other related duties as required from Project Manager.
Governance, Monitoring and Reporting:
· Coordinate with governmental authorities and other stakeholders to facilitate the implementation and handover the project activates.
· Liaising with the national authorities in the governorates and collecting data / field information in support of our client projects
· Check contractors’ and suppliers set out and works, including compliance with contracts specifications and ensures that contractors and suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame, and budget;
· Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems and provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager;
· Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager;
· Assess and report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost and progress report and hand over all related reports to the Project Manager;
· Evaluate and assess works schedules and programmes, including the comparison with the schedule baselines and reports to the Project Manager accordingly;
· Assess the work activities of contractor/s, measure completed work and make recommendations to the Project Manager for progress payments to contractor
· Lead and motivate the teams under his/her supervision by encouraging members to work together as a team by stressing the importance of and the connection between teamwork and achieving group goals.
· Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established
· Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
· Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Supervisor
· Have a thorough understanding of our client personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff). Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UN DSS standards
· Travel to remote sites is required
· Assist in ensuring high project construction quality, observing all local/international and UN standards applicable; and all relevant health and safety procedures.
To the Project Manager
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE /LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS:
· University degree in Civil Engineering,
· More than 15 years working experience in project assessment, design and management experience in rehabilitation projects and construction projects.
· A previous experience in rehabilitation and construction (preferable in hospitals)
· Excellent oral and written communication skills.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team
· Experience in the usage of computers and software packages (drawing software, structural software, office (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages is required
· Very Good Knowledge in written and oral of English and Arabic languages is required.
This role does not have any team management responsibility.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate & apply for this role using this link: