- CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position:
- Our client supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian & development projects around the world. Their mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the UN, govt’s & other partners to manage projects, infrastructure & procurement in a sustainable & efficient manner. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, their vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing their partners’ expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, they offer their partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure & global reach means that they can quickly respond to their partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale. The ongoing conflict has caused significant disruptions to the supply chain & to the overall availability of services. In light of the reduced or even absent provision of public services, communities have been affected by disease & environmental degradation. Physical damage to infrastructure & the lack of functionality in one sector often spills over into other sectors with significant consequences on both the access to & quality of services, that are often interrelated.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the City Engineer will give his / her technical expertise as required to lead the technical supervision & construction monitoring of rehabilitation works including the calculation of quantities. Travel will be expected to remote sites. Specifically, the incumbent will be responsible for the following substantive tasks. The tasks would involve but not limited to:
- The City Engineer shall be responsible for the progress control & quality control of construction works. S / He will be responsible for supervision of all works of the contractor & thereby ensure onsite quality control of construction works.
- Review & analyse existing documents.
- Review & analyse investigation reports.
- Supervise site engineers.
- Calculate quantities.
- Liaise with technical, procurement colleagues, client & funding representatives as required.
- Monitor implementation progress to ensure quality, safety & efficiency.
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress, use of resources & initiating corrective action where necessary.
- Liaise with any external suppliers or Account Managers.
- Prepare & review progress reports that address specific clients & stakeholder requirements when necessary.
- Review contractor’s method statements, safeguards requirements & monitor compliance with approved documents.
- Work closely with other technical professionals & contractors in the planning of work, scheduling of tasks.
- Advise the PM of any deviations from the plan. Identify areas where alterations to approved design may be required & lead the process to secure approval through agreed channels.
- Identify & manage risks so that maximum benefit to clients & stakeholders is achieved. Manage & review product quality & ensure products are accepted.
- Monitor & evaluate the performance of service providers.
- Ensure the documents prepared meet the quality standard requirements.
- Responsible for timely delivery of the expected outputs to Project Coordinator & Manager.
- Able to produce civils BOQ’s.
- Highlight possible non or late delivery prior to the event.
- Carry out site inspections & assessments as required.
- Monitor contractor’s progress during defects notification periods & compile reports as required.
- Develop specifications, procedures & QA / QC protocols when required.
- Proactively assist senior staff in managing the design projects, ensuring that they meet the high standards expected, while delivering the program within its time & budget constraints.
- Liaise with clients & address requirements when required.
- Carry out technical reviews as appropriate.
- Well knowledge of the chain management.
- Review all the technical documents & BOQs.
- Prepare the variation orders of the contractors if found.
- Well knowledge of project management & closure.
- Prepare the monthly timesheet for the retainers.
- Coordination, delivery & performance:
- Responsible for day to day coordination with the contractors & suppliers according to the needs & requirements on site.
- Inspects & report on contractor’s works in progress ensuring that the contractor meets set quality standards.
- Provides support & guidance to the contractor & assists in resolving site problems, as necessary.
- Responsible for supervision of technical staff & consultants assigned to the project, the assignment & monitoring of duties during the progress of works.
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social & gender inclusion, as well as Health, Safety, Security & Environmental (HSSE) aspects into the project during the design & construction phases.
- Ensure PSEA measures & gender mainstreaming are implemented throughout the project implementation, as per the country PSEA action plan, as well projects’ action plans.
- Perform other related duties as required from the PM.
Governance, monitoring & reporting:
- Coordinate with govt. authorities & other stakeholders to facilitate the implementation & handover the project activates.
- Liaising with the national authorities in the governorates & collecting data / field information in support of ongoing projects.
- Check contractors’, suppliers set out & works, including compliance with contracts specifications, ensures that contractors & suppliers comply with their work plans to complete work with specified scope of work, time frame & budget.
- Attend daily the project site(s) in order to monitor progress of works, identify the existing problems & provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the PM.
- Responsible for preparation of progress reports on construction activities, according to the agreed timeframe of works & submission of such on a weekly basis to the PM.
- Assess & report on the project closing plans, archiving of cost, progress report & hand over all related reports to the PM.
- Evaluates, assess works schedules & programs, including the comparison with the schedule baselines & reports to the PM accordingly.
- Assess the work activities of contractor(s), measure completed work & make recommendations to the PM for progress payments to the contractor.
- Lead & motivate the teams under his / her supervision by encouraging members to work together as a team by stressing the importance of & the connection between teamwork & achieving group goals.
- Ensure that behavioral expectations of team members are established.
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted.
- Identify outstanding staff & bring them to the attention of the supervisor.
- Have a thorough understanding of personnel contract modalities (including ICA & staff). Ensure safety, security for all personnel & comply with UNDSS standards.
- Travel to remote sites is required final product.
- Assist in ensuring high project construction quality, observing all local / international, UN standards applicable & all relevant health & safety procedures.
- This role will work under the overall supervision of the Project Manager.
- University Degree in Civil Engineering is required.
- More than 15 years working experience in project assessment, design & management experience in rehabilitation projects & construction projects.
- A previous experience in rehabilitation & construction (preferable in hospitals).
- Excellent oral & written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills & ability to work as part of a team.
- Experience in the usage of computers, software packages, drawing software, structural software, office (MS Word, Excel, etc.) & advance knowledge of spreadsheet & database packages is required.
- Very good knowledge in written & oral of English & Arabic languages is required.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- The main duty station for this role is Sana’a, however the consultant is expected to travel to multiple other cities in Yemen as & when required.
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website and appy for this role using the below link: https://app.tayohr.io/jobs/detail/vac-6093-city-engineers-yehcp-4796