ALTSEAN-Burma Communications and Research Intern
Deadline for applications: 3 September
Start date: ASAP/September 2021
ALTSEAN-Burma (the Alternative ASEAN Network on Burma), a Bangkok-based human rights group, works with a broad range of people from Southeast Asia and beyond, to promote the cause of human rights and democracy in Burma. Our advocacy, training programs, and strategic interventions to expand and sustain movements are even more critical after the military coup began on 1 February. We are looking for a communications and research intern to support ALTSEAN’s web, social media, and external advocacy. Preferred starting date is early September 2021. ALTSEAN reserves the right to interview and/or appoint suitable candidates at its earliest convenience, so early applications are encouraged.
This position will give the successful applicant the opportunity to directly support key advocacy messaging on behalf of a range of diverse actors opposing Burma’s military coup. This position will suit an individual who is highly efficient, comfortable working in close collaboration with a team of diverse people, willing to work long hours and able to observe the discipline and security protocols of the office, while maintaining a sense of humor.
4 Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English are necessary for this role.
4 Experience in the Burma movement or other human rights movements will be an advantage.
4 Experience in communications work, particularly communications for advocacy, and graphic design/social media management will be an advantage.
- Assist in content development for and updating ALTSEAN’s website (Kualo Layerstripe) and social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Assist in the coordination of ALTSEAN’s MailChimp mailing list.
- Create basic infographics, memes, and other visual tools that reinforce the organization’s advocacy messaging and support calls to action.
- Assist in any coordination and communications related to ALTSEAN’s 25th Anniversary commemorations.
- Support the development of ALTSEAN’s communication and social media strategy.
- Support the research team with additional research and writing to include in briefing papers and factsheets, including “CoupWatch”.
- Support the redevelopment of in-person workshop materials, including powerpoints and text handouts, into a video format.
- Other duties as directed.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
· Duration of 12 months (with possibility of extension and/or fulltime employment, subject to work performance, team dynamics and funding).
· Minimum of 40 working hours per week, excluding public holidays.
· 12 days annual leave per 12 months or pro-rata equivalent.
· A monthly allowance of 11,000 Thai baht is allocated for this position.
· Partially subsidized accommodation will be provided during the probation period.
· Following the successful applicant’s completion of a three-month probation period, they will receive a title upgrade to “Communications and Research Officer” as well as an additional 13,000 Thai baht per month visa allowance if located in Thailand.
· This position is based in Bangkok. If the successful applicant is required to relocate to Bangkok from overseas, a subsidy of up to 33,000 Thai baht will be available to reimburse costs associated with COVID tests, travel insurance and quarantine.
· ALTSEAN-Burma is maintaining a bubble at its office, and provides masks and sanitizers to staff. Staff are expected to refrain from external activities until the situation stabilizes.
· Field activities have been suspended until further notice.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Interested individuals should submit applications by email to email@example.com quoting the reference code “INT/CRO” in the subject line. The application must include:
4 A duly filled Application Form which can be downloaded from http://www.altsean.org/jobs.html
4 A complete résumé / CV.
Applications submitted in any other format will not be considered.
Short-listed candidates may be required to submit written responses to scenarios provided by ALTSEAN-Burma prior to the interview.
The successful applicant will be required to comply with the ALTSEAN Staff Manual.
Respect for and adherence to the security precautions and policies of the ALTSEAN-Burma Secretariat is essential. The Secretariat team is made up of people from a broad range of backgrounds; therefore cultural sensitivity is a priority. The ALTSEAN-Burma Secretariat is a non-smoking workplace.