About the Organisation:
In situations of armed conflict and violence, Geneva Call (GC), as a neutral, impartial and independent international humanitarian organisation, endeavours to strengthen the respect of humanitarian norms and principles by armed non-State actors, in order to improve the protection of civilians, while supporting local communities in their efforts to enhance their own protection.
GC is currently focusing its efforts the following thematic areas under the umbrella of international humanitarian norms – banning the use of anti-personnel mines, protecting children and education, prohibiting sexual violence and gender discrimination, prohibition of forced displacement, protection of cultural heritage and the protection of health care – all in the context of armed conflict and violence.
GC’s operations in the Philippines are currently focused on improving the protection of civilians in Maguindanao, North Cotabato and Lanao del Sur. Programming in adjacent areas – namely Bukidnon, Lanao del Norte, South Cotabato and Sultan Kudarat – is planned to commence within 2021.
Geneva Call consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. Geneva Call is an inclusive working environment for all its staff. Applications are particularly encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
The Communication Officer will help develop GC’s Communications Strategy in the Philippines, facilitates the planning and execution of internal and external communication activities pertinent to programme implementation and reporting as well as advancing GC’s overall mission. S/he will also help to develop and implement GC’s advocacy campaigns, tailor-made to the local contexts in Mindanao. S/he will spend considerable time between GC’s programme office in Cotabato City, satellite office in Iligan City, and in the provinces during field activities.
General description and main activities
- Supporting the definition, designing, and implementing GC’s operational communication and development activities with the objective of promoting awareness, understanding, and support to GC’s mission and priorities in the field
- Design, implement, and follow up a programme related communication plan aimed at promoting knowledge and acceptance of GC’s mission
- Develop innovative concepts for new campaigns (social media, radio, print) and manage campaign implementation
- Develop, or liaise with providers for the development of, high-quality content for print, social media and radio campaigns
- Manage GC Philippines’s social media presence (Facebook, Twitter etc.)
- Write, design and edit articles, letters, press releases, news posts and advocacy papers
- Organize and manage events for advocacy purposes
- Maintain strong media relations in-country to ensure that media have a strong awareness of GC work, keep up-to-date a database of journalists and media organizations, respond to media inquiries on deadline
- Conduct regular media monitoring to assess GC’s presence in local media
- Ensure alignment with global communications priorities of GC while ensuring cultural sensitivity and contextually appropriate messaging
- Assist in drafting mission reports, project documents, proposals, concept notes and donor reports as required
- Attend and represent Geneva Call as required at conferences, seminars and other fora of interest to the organization
- Perform any other programme-related tasks as assigned by the line manage
Technical knowledge or experience in
- Minimum 3 years equivalent work experience in a humanitarian organization
- Familiarity with the Mindanao context
- Advanced writing, analytical and communication skills,
- Using software such as Microsoft Office, Canva, social media, KOBO and ideally also Adobe InDesign as well as animation and video editing software
- Knowledge of the layout and quality control process for a variety of publications, and knowledge of printing requirements
- Ability to design and implement impactful public campaigns
- Strong presentational, writing and editing skills in English including proposal and report writing
- Knowledge of the conflict context(s) in Mindanao is desirable
- Demonstrable knowledge of humanitarian architecture, humanitarian principles and standards
- Understanding and respect for organisational principles and confidentiality;
- Strong logic and organisational skills, flexibility and adaptability to change;
- Ability to work under pressure, travel frequently in conflict-affected areas and to handle numerous tasks simultaneously;
- Proven ability to work well with colleagues and partners from diverse ethnic/cultural backgrounds;
- Accuracy and reliability, ability to reach results and meet deadlines under pressure;
Degree in Communications, media, humanitarian affairs, political or social science or a related field
- Fluency in English, both written and oral
- Tagalog and local dialects (Maguindanaoan, Maranao, Teduray, Bisaya, Tausug, Yakan etc.) as well as Arabic preferred
Organisation / Structure
No direct supervisory responsibilities; however, will oversee various technical support staff in the specific programmes designed and will coordinate with associated programme units/departments.
Conflict of interest
Any candidate affiliated to or openly supporting one or more interest groups contrary to the principles and values of the Foundation, or whose previous activity could cause difficulties for the safety of women and men co-workers at Geneva Call will be excluded from this selection process. The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the Geneva Call Performance Management guidelines.
The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- Job Description
- Action plan
- Performance Review Template Conditions
Position: 60%.(24 hour a week)
Contract duration: 1 Sept 2021 until 30 August 2022. The first two (2) months of the contract period is a probation period.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and CV in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org, ref: “Communications Officer” no later than 15th Aug 2021. All applications will be kept confidential. Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.