Access Now is a growing international human rights organization dedicated to defending and extending the digital rights of users at risk around the world, including issues of privacy, security, freedom of expression, and transparency. Our Policy, Advocacy, Helpline, RightsCon, Grants, Legal, and Operations teams have staff presences in Europe, Latin America, the Middle East/North Africa (MENA), North America, and South/Southeast Asia, to provide global support to our mission.
About the Role
As a Communications Associate with Access Now, you will work closely with our Communications and Media Manager, Digital Engagement Coordinator, and Advocacy and regional teams in supporting and leading outreach efforts, elevating Access Now’s voice across media and communications channels, invoking action, and catalyzing change across our audience base. This position reports through our Communications and Media Manager.
What You Will Do
- Help ensure the Access Now website is well maintained and up-to-date by curating content and uploading blogs, press releases, and other resources (including SEO)
- Collaborate on current social media content production; propose, develop, and implement new content; and support team members in their social media outreach
- Collaborate on editorial content creation including blogs, press releases, and other resources, and support the development of campaign materials and advocacy projects
- Support the production and rollout of Access Now publications, including establishing production timelines, coordinating with team members, and liaising with translators and service providers
- Track and share (internally via internal chat and email, and externally via the Access Now website) media hits
- Support event and meeting organization, including liaising with guests, tech troubleshooting, sending invitations, monitoring YouTube/platform chats, and sharing information
- Proofread and edit a range of Access Now products, and contribute to the ongoing development of Access Now’s internal style guide
- Support the creation and distribution of mass emails
- Undertake basic administrative tasks such as monitoring email folders and updating team project management tools
- Explore, propose, and develop projects and initiatives that spark your interest
- Recently graduated, or seeking to build up experience working in communications at a global human rights organization
- Passion for the mission, with understanding of the unique challenges at-risk and marginalized communities are confronting, as well as familiarity with (or a demonstrated willingness to learn about) developments in technology and its impact on human rights
- Strong persuasive writing skills and the ability to distill complex issues into simple, compelling messages
- Strong internal and external communication and project management skills, paired with cultural sensitivity and openness
- Excitement about continuous learning, trying new things, and being a member of a team
- Fluency in English, with the ability to write persuasive, compelling content
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, respond quickly to breaking news items, and effectively balance competing priorities
It’s very helpful if you have:
- Past experience with WordPress or a similar content management system (CMS)
- High-level proficiency and ability to write persuasive, compelling content in a second language, particularly in French, Arabic, or Spanish
This is a full-time position, and can be performed through one of our registered locations in Brussels, Berlin, or Tunis. At this time Access Now Team Members are working remotely full-time, with a likely return to offices later in 2021. The successful candidate must have the legal right-to-work in the location in which they will be based. We are unable to sponsor visas or relocations for this role.
Access Now offers competitive salary and benefits packages that align to its office localities. For candidates in the EU, initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated at or around €2,650 EUR gross monthly; for candidates in Tunisia, initial placement within the salary range for this role is anticipated at or around د.ت8,000 TND gross monthly. Actual compensation will be determined by depth of experience and preparation. While specific insurance and other benefits vary by office and region, all Access Now Team Members benefit from a strong global culture aligned around:
- Work-life balance…including generous paid time-off and leave programs
- Dedicated professional development and growth opportunities
- Extensive workplace flexibility
- Connection to a diverse, global team of passionate, principled professionals
- Organizational resilience and wellness supports for all team members
- Opportunities to recharge, including one month of paid refresher leave after 4 years
We are a global human rights organization committed to inclusivity and equity. We seek the most talented team members who bring their true selves, with diverse backgrounds, cultures, perspectives, and experiences. We are interested in receiving applications from people who consider themselves as under-represented in their talent communities. As an equal opportunity employer, we value and encourage diversity and consider applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other legally protected status. Our commitment applies with regard to all aspects of one’s employment, including hiring, transfer, promotion, compensation, eligibility for benefits, and termination.
How to apply
How to Apply
Please submit the following documents:
- Résumé/CV (removing all personally identifying information such as age, gender, marital status, address, and photo)
- Cover letter outlining your specific interest and suitability for this role
Our hiring teams review applications submitted through our Career Openings page; email submissions are not accepted, Please note that if you are applying via a link in a 3rd party system (examples: Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn), be sure that you are properly uploading a distinct Cover Letter and a separate CV/Resume.
In order for us to communicate with you on the status of your application, please be sure to add apps.bamboohr.com to your contacts list, and check spam or junk folders so that you do not miss updates from us.