EnCompass LLC is currently seeking a Communications Editing and Product Development Assistant to assist with administrative functions and to ensure that EnCompass’ products and technical deliverables adhere to the company’s style and quality standards. The Communications Assistant will provide copy editing, proofreading, and formatting, and will work with the communications team to ensure that EnCompass staff receives the support they need.
The position is based at EnCompass headquarters, in Rockville, MD.
Due to COVID-19, and subject to situational changes, the position is expected to be fully remote through September 30, 2021. It is expected that there will continue to be some flexibility on working from home after this date, as EnCompass will be moving to a hybrid schedule. Must be legally authorized to work in the US for any employer without sponsorship.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Support Communications Team administrative, coordination and operations functions, including:
- Schedule and prepare for team meetings
- Help to manage communications services requests
- Represent the Communications Team on the company Admin Team
- Maintain SharePoint files and organization
- Support onboarding independent consultants; manage the consultant agreement and invoicing processes; ensure consultant biodata information is accurate and up-to-date
- Maintain updated consultant information on the company intranet and consultant master tracker
- Support other Communication Team’s processes and priorities as needed
- Support Communications Services efforts, including:
- Provide high-quality, audience-focused copy editing, proofreading, formatting and layout support for external and internal communication products (e.g., project reports, new business proposals, blog posts, and newsletters)
- Help to ensure that materials adhere to EnCompass (and client) style guidelines and are accurate, error-free, and submitted on time
- Help to ensure that materials are accessible and 508 compliant when needed
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent and two years’ experience in professional writing, editing, communications or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in copy editing, proofreading, and formatting a variety of business documents, and working with editorial and graphic design staff to support publications and product development, including task scheduling/traffic management
- Ability to apply the guidance in style guides, setting personal preferences aside in favor of the organization’s guidance
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to organize and follow through on multiple tasks in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment
- Ability to work with templates and format materials using Microsoft Office programs, especially Word and PowerPoint; working with charts in Microsoft Excel (creating a basic chart; formatting charts created by others)
- Familiarity with international development programs is highly desirable
- Understanding of compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or copyright law highly desirable
- Strong writing and editing skills and knowledge of English grammar and syntax, including the capability of judging when to apply exceptions to meet the needs of the target audience
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work with teams (in-person and virtual) and independently
- Ability to provide clear and constructive feedback, and receive feedback from colleagues
- Strong work ethic with a commitment to excellence
- Willingness to learn on the job and expand skills through collaborating with team members
- Strong knowledge of at least one other language, especially French or Spanish, is highly desirable
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter and complete application.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.