Islamic Relief Worldwide, Somalia Programme has been operating in Somalia since 2006 and has responded to conflict and drought-affected people through the provision of life-saving assistance. Through our projects, IR has continuously been providing safe drinking water, improving hygienic sanitation facilities, increasing hygiene awareness, particularly among those living in IDP camps; empowering the urban poor and distressed working children, engaging in conflict management and mitigation, and strengthening community cohesiveness and co-existence.
Under the supervision of Senior Project Officer and within the WASH team, the Community Mobilizer is responsible for implementing activities related to the empowerment and mobilization of community members within hygiene promotion activities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Mobilize community for the WASH programme activities, organize house-to-house hygiene promotion visits, focus group discussions and mass awareness campaigns to promote good hygiene practices within targeted communities.
- Mobilize community for the WASH programme activities, organize distribution of hygiene kits to promote good hygiene practices within targeted communities.
- Promote safe WASH practices, including appropriate use and maintenance of WASH facilities and services, and improved hygiene behaviours.
- Enable effective dialogue with the affected / targeted community to allow the organization to be held to account for the quality of the WASH programme
- Help identify needs for non-food items relevant to hygiene, participate in the choice of items, targeting strategy, promotion of effective use, and post-distribution monitoring.
- Implement activities related to the mobilization and awareness raising of community members in IDPs and target project areas.
- Identify the most appropriate approach and methodology regarding the target population.
- Support the achievement of gender equity in regard to field of Hygiene Promotion.
- Conduct of social mobilization and sensitization on water, sanitation and hygiene promotions.
- Carry out community mobilization and assist the team in capacity building activities with community members, and maintain strong community relationships.
- Increase community participation during the project cycle and implementation including needs assessments, data collection, baseline, community mobilization, registration, distribution and impact survey, evaluations, and quality and quantity impact reporting.
- Promote and motivate inclusive participation of the community in all project activities.
- Promote gender equality within the humanitarian and/or development work
- Report the progress of the work to the supervisor.
- Report possible problem or conflict during the activities.
- Support in the design, implementation and/or monitoring of any activity relevant to the project.
- Conduct awareness campaigns for Solid Waste Management among IDPs.
- Give support to the monitoring and evaluation team while performing their activities in the field.
- Prepare and submit narrative weekly, monthly, quarterly, and other reports on the WASH activities including training and community mobilization.
- Any other related tasks as may be required by the line supervisor.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
- Attend WASH and community mobilization training workshops.
- Willingness to conduct pieces of training and mobilization to the target beneficiaries.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Skills related to food security and livelihood
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and creatively.
- University degree, with relevant experience preferably in agriculture, nutrition, agro-economy, social sciences, development studies, or another relevant discipline.
- Proven experience working in a humanitarian/recovery context.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum 1 year of experience working in relief and development contexts.
- Good knowledge of the English language
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively to the field.
Line of managements
- Willingness and ability to work at times with short notice
- Team worker
- It is essential that the post holder shows a good understanding and empathy with
the Islamic values and principles as well as commitment to IRW’s vision and mission
- Proactive approach to self-development
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making skills
- Highly organized individual, capable of handling multiple priorities, meeting deadlines,
and managing time effectively.
- Experience in utilizing technology tools and also possess the ability to master new.
How to apply
- IRW Somalia Program is inviting applications from qualified/Motivated candidates who are interested to submit their CVs and cover letters explaining, how they meet Job description.
- Each application should be addressed to the HR account: email@example.com and include the following:
- An updated CV; and · An application letter
- Academic Qualifications (certificates/Transcripts)
- Copy of your National ID card or passport
- And contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. IRW is an equal opportunity employer, however, qualified female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply.
Note: Please make sure the job title in the mail subject line is clear as Community Mobilizer –Balcad.