Call for Consultancy Services
The World Resources Institute (WRI) is an independent, nonprofit global research organization that turns big ideas into action at the nexus of environment, economic opportunity, and human well-being. WRI and its partners are working to address critical challenges that the world must overcome to secure a sustainable future for people and the planet.
Building on the policy and the achievements of previous programs and strategies, including the Climate Resilient Green Economy (CRGE) programme, Ethiopia has prepared its 10 years Urban Development Plan to align with the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals in which urban development is one of the key pillars. The Ministry of Urban Development and Construction also prepared its sectoral plans for a similar period which aligns with National priorities, the New UN Urban Agenda, Paris Climate Agreement and Africa Agenda 2063. The Ministry’s plan; with its vision ‘The Path to Urban Prosperity’, hinges on key pillars including i) building an urban economy and jobs, ii) reforming urban planning and land, iii) improving access to housing, iv) infrastructure and services and v) building the foundations for green and resilient cities. Improving institutions and finance of especially urban local government is considered crucial for the successful implementation of the plan.
In order to better manage the rapid urbanization in Ethiopia and in Africa in general, maximize the opportunities and minimize its adverse effects, the country requires revising policies, rules and regulations as well as plans and other actions that are taken to be evidence-based and up-to-date. Sectoral plans as well as investments in cities should be prepared based on clear baseline data, clear understanding of the roles of cities and proper estimation of how much it costs to transform the urbanization in the country.
The purpose of this program is to support the Ministry of Urban Development and Construction in transforming Ethiopia’s urbanization through revising the National Urban Development Policy and introducing evidence-based approaches to gauge i) the role of cities in the economy (GDP) as well as their adverse effects on the climate and environment and estimate costs that are required to transform the country’s urbanization.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Subject matter knowledge of urban development policy or professional experience at an urban planning and urban development policy institutions/research organization
- Advanced Degree (PhD or Masters) in architecture, urban planning, urban development, urban governance, urban economics and related fields
- Demonstrated previous experience on research, coordinating/leading original projects, programs and urban planning activities
- Demonstrated creativity in conveying complex science to non-expert audience in compelling ways
- Demonstrated track record of accomplishments in advancing integrated urban planning, sustainable cities and climate resilience etc.
- Strong track record of relationships and project partnerships globally and across Africa with key NGO and local research and urban development organizations and donors
- Exceptionally good communication and interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and organized thinker who can juggle multiple, competing priorities
- Proficient in writing and speaking English; proficiency in Amharic and/or other major local languages preferred.
- Proposals to be submitted by July 24 2021, 17:00 East Africa Time.
- Selection process finalized by July 31, 2021.
MODE OF PAYMENT
Upon completion of deliverable 1 and 2 50% Upon completion of Deliverable 3 and 4 50%.
How to apply
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants can submit electronically a technical and financial proposal, CVs, to the following address: Gubignet Tekle, World Resources Institute, Addis Ababa, Gubignet.Tekle@wri.org.,Yessem.Girma@wri.org