Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Purpose / Project Description:
Mercy Corps has worked in Jordan since 2003 to implement a variety of programs funded by global public institutions, as well as private donors to meet the urgent needs of vulnerable populations, build cohesive and civically engaged communities, and increase inclusive economic opportunities. Mercy Corps’ current portfolio in Jordan focuses on three domains: resilient individuals, strong communities and governance, and environmentally sustainable and inclusive economic growth. Mercy Corps integrates cross-cutting themes of youth, gender equality and empowerment, governance, natural resource management and technology.
Within these broad objectives, Mercy Corps implements a range of projects and activities while pursuing the highest standards of program quality and integrity, and remains dedicated to the expansion of its programming wherever there are communities or individuals in need.
Mercy Corps Jordan is currently exploring several funding opportunities from both the US and UK governments and intends to pursue these competitively as lead organization or sub to another organization. Mercy Corps expects to pursue five opportunities between the period of June 2021 through to October 2021.
Mercy Corps seeks a consultant to support the cost proposal development associated with these applications.
The consultant will either lead on or support with the budget development in close coordination with the Mercy Corps Jordan Senior Finance Manager and team. The primary division of duties is:
The Jordan Senior Finance Manager will be responsible for:
- Building an initial budget with Mercy Corps office, personnel, and direct costs in the standard budget template used by Mercy Corps for budget management; and, 2) Working closely with the technical team, and in particular the Country Director and Proposal Team Lead on subsequent drafts of the budget with activity costs included.
The consultant will complement this by:
- Identifying specific call budget requirements, costs to be included, level and calculation of indirect costs, provide a budget template to partners as required with relevant instructions for easier consolidation.
- Taking the initial budget in the standard budget template and putting the information into the specific opportunity template.
- Taking primary responsibility for the revisions of the Mercy Corps budget after the initial draft by incorporating review/revisions working closely with the Country Director and Proposal Team Leads for each opportunity, this will include the activity lines of the budget as the program design evolves;
- Conducting a detailed review of the partner budgets to ensure costs and activities synchronize across budgets and providing support to the Jordan Senior Finance Manager with partner budget development;
- Working closely with partners on the development, review and revision of their budgets;
- Compiling the Mercy Corps and partner budgets for final review by Regional Finance Officer (RFO); and,
- Together with Jordan Senior Finance Manager, consult with RFO on questions around budget presentation, compliance, etc.
- Conduct a detailed review of the draft application and final application, when released, to understand all budget and financial requirements set by the donor. Assist the team with ensuring these requirements are followed.
- Assist and support the Senior Finance Manager to lead the development of Mercy Corps’ budget to accurately cost the program. Working from technical documents/logframe, organizational chart, and team discussions, help the Senior Finance Manager develop the budget and budget narrative for Mercy Corps’ activities and staffing.
- In discussion with the team, provide guidance to the Senior Finance Manager about how to cost for activities given application guidance and stated need for flexibility.
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager to revise the budget based on feedback and comments from the review team.
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager in review of partners’ detailed budget and budget narratives. Help ensure partner budgets are in line with donors’ cost principles and Mercy Corps policy. Work with technical lead and proposal lead to review partner activity budgets; and,
- Assist the Senior Finance Manager in collating all budgets and budget requirements for submission.
By the end of the consultancy, Mercy Corps will expect the following outputs on the different proposals from the consultant:
- Review and analysis of the application
- Support to the Jordan Senior Finance Manager to develop the budget
- Review of all budget drafts prior to formal drafts being sent to headquarters for review
- Review of partner budgets
- Finalization and compilation of Mercy Corps and partner budgets
Timeframe / Schedule:
The consultancy is anticipated to begin in July 2021 and extend to the submission date of all applications, likely in October 2021, for a maximum of 90 days of work. An initial calendar of deadlines will be established in consultation with the country leadership and various proposal teams.
The Consultant will report to:
Jordan Country Director
The Consultant will work closely with:
Jordan Senior Finance Manager, Country Director, Deputy Country Director, HQ Regional Finance Officer and respective proposal teams for each application.
Required Experience & Skills:
- **5-10 years of experience in relevant technical field
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Achieving our mission begins with how we build our team and work together. Through our commitment to enriching our organization with people of different origins, beliefs, backgrounds, and ways of thinking, we are better able to leverage the collective power of our teams and solve the world’s most complex challenges. We strive for a culture of trust and respect, where everyone contributes their perspectives and authentic selves, reaches their potential as individuals and teams, and collaborates to do the best work of their lives.
We recognize that diversity and inclusion is a journey, and we are committed to learning, listening and evolving to become more diverse, equitable and inclusive than we are today.
Equal Employment Opportunity We are committed to providing an environment of respect and psychological safety where equal employment opportunities are available to all. We do not engage in or tolerate discrimination on the basis of race, color, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability (including HIV/AIDS status), marital status, military veteran status or any other protected group in the locations where we work.
Safeguarding & Ethics Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our stakeholders and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply
To apply: http://app.jobvite.com/m?34wDOlwR