COOPI is looking for a Country Administrator in Sudan
COOPI has been present in Sudan since 2004. The recent history of Sudan is marked by strong disorders and violence, expressions of a civil war that on several occasions has shaken the country since its independence.
COOPI’s interventions focused in the Darfur region that for a long time has been the scene of armed clashes and particularly hit by periods of severe drought. To allow the management of these activities and to ensure access to basic services for the population, different interventions were carried out, in the field of water-hygiene and food security both on humanitarian and development perspective.
Purpose of the role
To be the focal point and key staff responsible for all the administrative activities in Sudan Mission, collaborating with the line manager (HoM) and monitoring/supporting the expat and local admin coordinators of the bases in Khartoum, Darfur, Kassala, Gedaref. Furthermore supervising and handling with needed training to upgrade the local admin staff quality level, as needed.
We encourage international staff already in the country to apply.
Administration and finance
- Ensure compliance with financial and administrative requirements set by the Donors and by COOPI internal financial and administrative procedures;
- Control and assure compliance of program expenditures with program budgets;
- Monitor cash flows and supervise petty cash handling;
- Ensure proper administration for outstanding debtors and creditors, follow-up overdue and signal potential problems in timely manner;
- Prepare payment vouchers and verify supporting documents for project and administrative expenditure;
- Ensure classification of all financial information and documents in accordance with the projects and respective budget lines;
- Ensure appropriate filing system of financial documentation is in place, accurate and updated;
- Provide timely and systematic monitoring of program expenditures as well as timely budget program forecasts.
- Supervise preparation of contracts for personnel staff;
- Manage contracts of local and international staff and supervise administration staff;
- Application of mechanisms relative to any on the job training of personnel working on the project;
- Coordinate and supervise overall human resources policy implementation, included Labour Law application, recruitment and that staff salaries are effectively paid to eligible staff and an audit trail of records is maintained;
- Produce monthly cash and bank reconciliation statements;
- Prepare, on a monthly basis, financial reports and requests to be sent to COOPI Milan HQs;
- Monitor the Country’s Security: implement the security measure in accordance with the COOPI guidelines and with the Head of Mission;
- Supervise preparation of lease contracts, contracts with suppliers and any other contract issued by the program;
- Ensure that contractual commitments are accurately tracked;
- Supervise appropriateness and updating of all procurement documentation at the various steps of the procurement process;
- Ensure budget availability of expenditures and that appropriate authorizations are in place;
- Ensure that taxes are timely remitted to relevant authorities;
- Bring-up date the stock inventory.
- University degree in Social Sciences, Business or Technical sciences.
- A minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience;
- Fluency in English language;
- Experience in international relief and development in African countries in a similar position;
- Experience in logistics, procurement and security matters is a strong advantage;
- Demonstrated effective verbal and written communication, negotiation skills, multi-tasking and organizational skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work in stressful environments and under pressure;
- Experience in liaising with governmental/local authorities, IOs and NGOs;
- Proven capacity to work in a team and previous experience in managing staff;
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments.
- Previous work experience in Sudan;
- Experience in working in conflict-prone environments;
- Knowledge of COOPI’s procedures.
We reserve the right to close the vacancy prior to the application closing date, once a sufficient number of applications have been received.