Diakonia is looking for an experienced and dynamic Director to lead our team in Palestine. We offer you an exciting job in an international environment where you, together with talented colleagues and partner organizations, will change the world!
Diakonia is a Swedish non-profit and independent organization for international development cooperation and humanitarian assistance. Diakonia supports over 400 partner organizations in 25 countries – in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. Diakonia operates on feminist principles and a human rights-based approach. The basis for our work is people’s will to improve and change the world. Our focus areas are human rights, democracy and gender equity.
The Jerusalem Country Office works with three programs in the areas of civil society, the rights of people living with disabilities and international humanitarian law. The Office has 13 employees. The Country Director reports to the Regional Director, currently based at Diakonia’s head office in Stockholm, Sweden.
Role & responsibilities:
A strong focus for the Country Director will be to provide strategic leadership in the development and implementation of the Diakonia country programs in Palestine, ensuring its alignment with Diakonia global policy, donor policies, and legal requirements in the country. Other key areas for the role are:
· Manage and provide leadership for programs and teams.
· Overall responsibility for work environment and security at the Country Office.
· Inspire to and lead dynamic and creative processes to develop new program concepts.
· Ensure good public relations, maintain productive networking and collaborative initiatives with funding partners, authorities and other organizations, and represent Diakonia in relevant forums and meetings.
· Develop and implement strategies to identify and attract potential partners and back donors.
Experience & qualifications:
We are looking for a Country Director with solid experience of leading teams working in tough and challenging environment, with a high level of people and communication skills. To be successful in the role we believe that you have:
- A minimum of five year’s relevant experience of development and humanitarian work from a managerial position in an international organization, UN or international NGO whereof at least two years’ experiences in a line management position.
- University degree or equivalent within relevant area (Master’s degree in development, NGO management, political science, social science or related area).
- Experience in working with civil society organizations.
- Strong knowledge about the Palestine and Israel context.
- Experience in donor relations and resource mobilization.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
To succeed in this position, you know how to work in complex environments, you are an experienced development practitioner and an experienced and professional Director. As a leader you are mature and value based, with the commitment, experience and tools to support your staff to succeed in their roles. For you it is natural to contribute to a more equal society through gender conscious behavior.
As Country Director it is crucial that you have excellent ability to organize, plan, prioritize and communicate your work. In this you have great analytical skills and a strategic outlook. You work innovatively, know how to identify opportunities and act upon them responsibly. You know what it takes to deliver results and make well-analyzed decisions in a timely manner.
· Language skills in Arabic
We offer you an exciting job in an international environment. You will become part of a culture that is characterized by commitment and openness. Together with our colleagues and partner organizations, we change the world!
Start date: August 1st, 2021 or as soon as possible.
Employment type: Two-year contract with possible extension
Diakonia strives for diversity in the organization and welcome applicants regardless of gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, ethnicity, religious belief, or disability, all applications will be considered on qualification.
How to apply
Send us your application before May 17th, 2021
We ask you to send your CV and cover letter in English, marked “Country Director Jerusalem” to: email@example.com
If you have questions about the position or the recruitment process, please contact: Regional Director MENA, Peter Ottosson: firstname.lastname@example.org or +46 756 01 18 76