The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is a Swiss-based foundation launched at the UN in 2002 to tackle the human suffering caused by malnutrition. Working with both governments and businesses, we aim to transform food systems so that they deliver more nutritious food for all people. In particular, we aim to make healthier food choices more desirable, more available, and more affordable. GAIN’s mission is to advance nutrition outcomes by improving consumption of nutritious and safe food for all people, especially the most vulnerable to malnutrition.
The Country Director (CD) is responsible for leading, managing, representing and setting the overall direction of GAIN’s strategy, partnerships and programs. Based in-country, the CD must ensure that the country strategy implementation is in line with GAIN’s vision, outcomes, policies and procedures. As the most senior representative for GAIN in the country, the CD is responsible for high level representation to the government, donors, the private sector and the UN. The CD has overall responsibility for security management and health and safety for GAIN staff within the country.
They will lead and manage all aspect of GAINs Country office, including operations and financial management, compliance with local laws, fiscal planning, human resource planning and the creation of a shared vision among all staff.
Tasks and responsibilities
- The CD will lead the development, implementation and quality management of the country strategy so it maximizes impact to transforming local food systems for better nutrition.
- The planning and tracking of progress of the implementation of the country strategy, including the development and review of annual business plans, to support the vision set out in the country strategy.
- Contribute positively, as a member of GAINs leadership team to strategic discussions, to support organizational effectiveness and development.
- Manage the process of support to partners, sustaining formal, long-term relationships, and identification of appropriate partner organizations.
Program Design and Implementation
- Ensure program design and implementation maintains focus on achieving country strategy objectives
- Guide business development, staying aware of the local funding context and identifying appropriate opportunities to increase income to deliver the country strategy.
- Support the program teams to ensure that strong M & E and quality control procedures are understood and implemented by program staff, both from GAIN and partner organizations.
Resource mobilization, advocacy and communication
- Develop the organization’s profile & influence, including approving the development of communications products (press releases, brochures, stories).
- Build and maintain effective working relationships with relevant officials in government, civil society, donors, partners and other international organizations.
- Support activities to deliver outcomes on priority advocacy issues.
- Ensure that information requests are serviced in a timely way and that effective country contributions are made to global advocacy initiatives and priorities.
- Represent GAIN in external events or suitably delegate
People & Organizational Development
- Provide overall leadership to GAIN staff, coach, mentor and motivate team members and ensure team synergy, including leading the senior direct reports.
- Line manage a number of senior direct reports including supporting work plan development and performance management.
- Ensure all staff within the Country Office uphold GAIN Values and Code of Conduct, including the development of and support to a culture & work environment that reflects GAIN’s values.
- Ensure the appropriate implementation of all Human Resource policies, procedures and practices.
- Foster a collegial, transparent, supportive and respectful culture within the country team.
- Understanding of and commitment to adhere to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion including the safeguarding vulnerable populations, as well as staff health and wellbeing principles.
Financial and Operations Management
- Manages systems and business processes for finance, HR, contracts, facilities and IT that are integrated and aligned with the organization as a whole.
- Manages the recruitment of staff, with support from the Global HR team.
- Support the operations and programs teams to ensure the efficient and proper use of funds, supporting team in the development and management of the country program and grant level budgets.
- Support the operations and programs teams to ensure compliance with donor monitoring, spending and legal requirements.
- Lead the identification of in-country funding to support our planned work, and to make best use of resources available to maximise impact.
- Support the operations team/ finance and admin team to ensure country office policies, procedures, guidelines and risk registers are in place, updated and disseminated.
- Develop a proposed annual budget and ensue the timely submission of financial reports, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the country office.
- Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of the security plan in line with GAINs security policy and procedure
Key organisational relationships
- The Country Director reports to the Director, Country Programs
- The Country Director works closely with:
- The Country Programs Team
- The Human Resources and Finance Teams
- Subject matter experts and technical staff across GAIN functions.
- Fellow Country Directors and staff in GAIN country and rep offices globally to share knowledge, best practice and take advantage of synergies across countries and regions
- GAIN Strategic Management Team
- Government, Donors, NGOs, Private Sector, Academia and others
- Strategic thinking, management and leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills, presenting clear and structured arguments with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent networking, influencing, negotiation and advocacy skills
- Ability to operate within corporate and public sectors to effectively liaise with private companies, development agencies and governments.
- Proven successful people management experience, ability to work as part of a multicultural team.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- At least ten years leadership and management experience in leading and developing projects in a multi- cultural environment at international level in the private sector, food industry or with development organizations.
- Solid experience in representation with key donors, government, internal and external stakeholders with a demonstrable track record in fundraising and business development required.
- Experience in building effective personal networks at a senior level, resulting in securing new opportunities for the organization
- Broad understanding of the nutrition-food systems nexus, public health and community development.
- Excellent understanding and experience of risk, programme, financial and operational management
- Demonstrated success in building and managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Good understanding of key trends in international and humanitarian development
- Masters in agricultural science, food science, public health, nutrition, economics, business administration or Equivalent
- Fluent in written and verbal English.
- Proficiency in local languages highly desirable
- A willingness and ability to travel in-country and overseas as and when required
What GAIN Offers
- A mission that is more relevant than ever, working with Government, development partners and business
- Friendly working environment
- A transparent and inclusive management culture
- A growing country program
- Professional development opportunities
- Competitive renumeration package
How to apply
To apply for this role, kindly send through a Microsoft Word version of your CV and a cover letter detailing why you are suited to this role. Please mark it for the attention of Becky Snead, email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please subject your email with the following reference: GAIN_CDE
Please note that the interview dates for this role will be confirmed with you should your application be successful.
Red Sea is committed to meeting the standards set out in their Equality and Diversity recruitment policy; this includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010 and building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce in encouraging equality and diversity.