The Leadership Pool:
UNFPA is seeking candidates for our innovative Leadership Pool initiative. Candidates who apply for one or more job types in the Leadership Pool are competing to participate in a comprehensive assessment process, and if successful will become a member of UNFPA’s Leadership Pool – a pre-assessed group of candidates used as the source for filling future international rotation posts vacancies within UNFPA. Candidates should apply for all job types for which they are interested in being assessed.
After being assessed and found ready for one or more Leadership Pool job types,Pool members will benefit from individualized career advice and provision of tailored development opportunities to enhance their readiness to assume leadership posts. When rotational post vacancies arise in a particular job type, Pool members who were successfully assessed for that job type will be contacted and invited to indicate their interest in being selected for the vacancy. During the course of their service with UNFPA, international rotational staff are expected to serve in a variety of functions and locations including hardship and non-family duty stations.
Reporting directly to the Regional Director, the Resident Representative leads a country office team in the design, management, and results-based implementation of a country programme that is aligned with the National Agenda and delivers on UNFPA’s mandate and the ICPD Programme of Action, both in development and humanitarian settings. Under the guidance and direct supervision of a Regional Director and in a dotted-line reporting relationship to the Resident Coordinator, a Resident Representative will represent UNFPA and provide team leadership, strategic planning, adaptive management, oversight, advocacy, communication, resource mobilization, and senior level engagement with government, sister UN organizations, development and humanitarian partners and other stakeholders to ensure effective, sustainable and high quality outcomes and impact for UNFPA programme of support. Build capacity of a cohesive, transparent, and highly collaborative country office team that manages itself with agility, and operates in an environment free of intimidation and exploitation and abuse of any form.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Postgraduate university degree in any of the following disciplines: Public Health, Medicine, Sociology, Demography, Gender, International Relations, International Development, Economics, Public Administration, Management or other related field.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 15 years of increasingly responsible professional experience in public administration and international development of which at least 10 years in the field of population and development, Gender-based Violence, Sexual and Reproductive Health including basic humanitarian field experience at the international level.
- Current knowledge of issues of population and development, sexual and reproductive health, and their place in the development and humanitarian agenda.
- Proven ability to lead a team, be accountable for assigned responsibilities, inspire its members, create space for learning and innovation, coach the team for demonstrable and high quality results and impact; safe-guard the organization’s ethics and values.
- Experience at national and international level in advocacy and policy dialogue.
- Political acumen.
- Experience in media/communication with partners, and public information.
- Experience in international development, particularly in the mandate of UNFPA and dedication to the principles of the United Nations.
- Field experience is essential; experience working and leading teams in complex humanitarian operations is a strong asset.
- Ability to create an agile environment, able to adapt to changing contexts.
- Embrace appropriate risk to support innovation.
- Ability to deal with and manage crisis situations, prioritizing safety and security of personnel as a high priority.
- Strong influencing skills to engage with new partners around key elements of UNFPA’s mandate.
- Fluency in English.
- Depending on the duty station, other languages such as French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Portuguese may be required
How to apply
Apply via our e-recruitment site