Role & Responsibilities
Manage the development and implementation of the Jordan support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country programme strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the support functions, the Deputy Country Director plays a key role in systems development, legal compliance, operational coordination, and team leadership.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Syria, Medair’s programme in Jordan is delivering emergency assistance to refugees in non-camp settings and vulnerable host communities in northern Jordan. Projects are in the sectors of Health, Protection and cash transfer and Psychosocial support services.
Workplace & Working Conditions
Field based position in Amman, Jordan. Amman and surrounding areas offer a wide range of opportunities for exploring Jordan’s heritage. The team lives in comfortable apartments located near the office, which offer space for privacy.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2021. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Programme Support Management
- Contribute to the strategic direction of the Jordan programme as part of the Senior Management Team.
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and the support functions.
- Prepare and implement policies and guidelines, to run the programmes through procedures and support.
- Line-manage the Finance Head of Department to oversee budget management and expenditure for support and shared costs, ensuring budgets are spent according to proposals and within the time frame.
- Line-manage the Finance Head of Department to oversee that procedures are in place.
- Ensure all internal financial controls are in place and new Medair IT systems for finance and logs are successfully operationalised and implemented by Medair Jordan and donor guidelines are followed.
- Line-manage the Logistics Head of Department, provide logistical support to programme staff.
- Ensure procedures are maintained in logistics, (procurement, storage & transportation).
- Ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including registration, reporting, insurance, work permits, contracts, etc., liaising as necessary with government departments and other official bodies.
- Line-manage the Human Resources Head of Department, oversee all human resource activities, supporting line managers in areas such as recruitment, induction, training, appraisals, disciplinary action.
- Ensure all national and international legal requirements relating to employment are adhered to.
- Engage in Medair wide HR developments & the implementation of the new HR Information System.
- Strengthen the HR department’s administrative capacity to achieve greater operational efficiencies.
- Support in the supervision the Monitoring & Evaluation manager and ensure adequate roll out of Information Management systems within programmes through the IM team.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements.
- Ensure all staff members and visitors receive on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the programme locations are updated and implemented.
- Train and support relevant field managers in security planning, management, implementation and monitoring. Assist the Country Director in managing security incidents, as required.
- Support the Country Director in the maintenance of relationships with relevant stakeholders and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Facilitate regular team meetings and develop and build an effective team through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with suppliers, local authorities, other NGOs and any other stakeholders, representing Medair and ensuring good co-operation and partnerships.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 5 years of post-qualification management experience in a relevant profession.
- At least 1-year post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience working in a cross-cultural setting, preferable in a support role.
- Able to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Coaching and training skills. Good understanding of cross-cultural issues.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and CHS Standards.
- Excellent communicator. Problem solving ability. Good inter-personal and conflict resolution skills.
- Strong organisational and time management skills. Good numerical and report writing skills.
- Dynamic and mature personality, able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating as required.
How to apply
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
b) Medair is committed to safeguarding the protection of beneficiaries, volunteers, staff and partners, and particularly children. Therefore, we do not employ staff whose background we understand to be unsuitable for working with children. Medair staff are required to give the utmost respect to, and comply with, Medair’s accountability policies and best practices
c) Key Profiles & Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
d) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.*