This position leads NCCI’s programming in Baghdad and provides co-leadership in support of the Executive Director (based in Erbil). The key duty of this position is to build NCCI’s government relations and liaison work and team in order for NCCI to be able to support the work of NGOs across Iraq.
General areas of work:
- Support to Executive Director
- Head of Baghdad Office
- Lead Erbil & Baghdad government engagement
- Lead the Government Relations Team’s External Engagement, Knowledge Management & Service Provision
Management & Head of Baghdad Office (20%)
- Directly supervise Government Relations staff
- Serve as head of office for NCCI Baghdad Office including overseeing the day to day work of the Admin Team in Baghdad while keeping Finance and Admin manager, as the line manager, informed
- Provide general leadership in coordination with Executive Director.
- Occasionally co-host online meetings which are chaired from Erbil.
Lead Government Relations Team and Government engagement (60%)
- Build and lead NCCI’s government engagement and relations in Baghdad and Erbil, and, as required, at sub-national level.
- Lead the team to serve as an information resource for NGOs regarding the relevant and updated procedures, contacts and best practice for NGOs for how to engage with the government as well as bureaucratic issues such as taxes and social security.
- Collect, analyze and disseminate information on trends and impact of regulations and procedures on NGO operations, including through position papers and information management products in close collaboration with the Advocacy and Policy Advisor and the Advocacy Working Group.
- Lead relevant Working Groups as required.
- As directed by the Executive Director and in coordination with relevant staff, engage with sub-national coordination structures.
- In collaboration with various NCCI and external actors, monitor and be generally aware of significant country-wide developments that could impact NGO operating space. Integrate this knowledge into advocacy efforts in Baghdad and Erbil. (NCCI does not have staff field presence so this primarily refers to tracking reports provided by others)
- Work with the Executive Director to collaborate with Resident Coordinator/Humanitarian Coordinator, UN Office for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) and other relevant UN agencies in support of NGOs operating in Iraq
- In coordination with relevant staff, conduct consultations to identify national NGO priorities for support regarding government relations and engagement
- Support team to establish “how to” guidance notes for HR/Admin working group regarding policies and procedures for NGO operations
- Map, develop and maintain contacts with key government staff/advisors and line Ministries relevant to NGO operations in Iraq in order to keep up to date on developments and influence and support advocacy efforts where appropriate.
- Under the supervision and in close collaboration with the Executive Director, establish relationships with relevant non-governmental actors, including the United Nations, diplomatic community and NGOs.
NCCI Operations Support (20%)
- Support and backstop colleagues (including Executive Director) as needed
- Occasionally travel internationally or in Iraq as needed.
- Travel from Baghdad to Erbil up to 25% of time (accommodation provided).
- Support and contribute, as required, to strengthening NGO coordination in Baghdad, by convening meetings and/or supporting NGO representation in high level fora
- Contribute to fundraising by representing NCCI externally in line with objectives and mandate and, as needed, support proposal submissions.
- Contribute to stakeholder mapping and liaison with authorities for early recovery, protection, advocacy and other NCCI priorities as agreed with Executive Director
Qualification and Required Skills:
- Academic degree in Management/Administration/ Law/ Coordination
- Minimum 6 years’ experience in a similar role
- Previous experience of working with NGOs highly preferred
- Previous experience of working in the region highly preferred
- Fluency in English; Arabic highly preferred
- Familiarity with the country laws and regulations
- Well-aware of the country context
- Strong communication, coordination, relationship building and analytical skills
- Diplomatic approach
- Respect for Diversity
- Communications – Good communication and negotiation skills required; diplomatic approach required;
- Teamwork – Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Planning and organization – Adept at identifying priority activities and adjusting priorities as required; allocating appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Client orientation and Networking – Proven skills in networking and ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with stakeholders by gaining their trust and respect;
- Technological awareness – Keen to keep up to date on all available technologies and apply appropriate technology to tasks;
- Contextual familiarity
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of NCCI;
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and actions
How to apply
- Qualified Candidates should submit their CVs (PDF or Word) in English attached electronically to email@example.com with “Deputy Director & Government Relations” in the subject line of the email.
- BLANK or OTHER subject lines leads automatically to disqualification for shortlisting.
- Application will be open until 16 May 2021 – 6:00 PM
- No application will be considered after the above deadline
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.