The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Digital Proximity & Engagement Officer role is to support the shift of our digital communication platforms, tools and approaches to be in service to the affected communities.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Undertakes research on communication (digital and non-digital) landscapes and identified affected communities’ communication behaviours, needs and preferences;
· Provides tactical recommendations based on the research (analytical intelligence and insights) to help delegations put in place new communications channels or improve the use of existing communication channels, including social media, messaging apps, groups and SMS, to reach affected communities, build trust and provide two-way communications;
· Works with the Global Information-as-aid Coordinator, AV Producers in RCCs and Digital Officers in delegations to design and share information-as-aid;
· Develops and runs targeted information campaigns with and for affected people;
· Provides social media listening support, ensuring we continuously adapt our communications and approaches based on what we’re hearing and seeing from affected communities;
· Helps delegations to report on and measure the impact of how they communicate with affected communities through their digital channels;
· Provides guidance and suggested courses of action to tackle and deal with misinformation, disinformation, rumours, and fake news, especially targeted to or about affected populations;
· Designs and delivers bespoke training and skill-building exercises on digital proximity, social listening, and managing digital communication channels, as well as providing ongoing mentoring and support;
· Trains colleagues and provides guidance on how to strengthen representation, diversity and inclusion of affected people in communications and ensure accessibility;
Minimum Requirements and competencies
· Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Communication, digital or related field;
· Minimum 6 to 9 years’ working experience in a related field;
· Minimum 4 years’ professional experience working in Communications with humanitarian organisations;
· Solid knowledge and experience in community engagement and people-centred approaches;
· Demonstrated understanding of the digital landscape, social media, messaging apps and digital security;
· Fluent in English, as well as the most relevant language in the region. Knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic and / or other working languages is an asset;
· Certificate of good conduct.
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 21st May 2021 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- Application Link**
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The reference Digital Engagement and Proximity Officer must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE*.