Reports to: Global Technology Hub Director
Location: Thailand, or other nearby locations in Southeast Asia considered
Contract Duration: 12 months (with possible extension)
Expected Starting: ASAP
Salary expectation: Salary commensurate with experience
Internews seeks an experienced technologist with a background in direct support to join Internews’ Global Technology Hub (GTH) to provide mentoring, training, and ongoing support for our media partners working with the Burmese community in Myanmar, and others in the region. You’ll join a growing team providing a direct support line between Internews and its partners and beneficiaries and offering vital support and assistance in using digital tools for publishing, broadcasting, and in how to use digital tools more effectively, securely, and safely.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conduct needs assessment covering different digital capacities with Internews media partners to develop support and training plans;
- Delivering IT support and assisting with digital safety and information security training, guidance and mentoring;
- Help in selection, procurement and support partner adoption of digital tools;
- Carry out 1-to-1 or group trainings, either remotely via video, or in person, and develop tutorials, guides and other sharable resources, and help translate materials into the local language and/or adapt for the local context;
- Support partner organizations in the use of digital collaboration tools, helping benchmark and select tools, set policies for efficient, secure and safe use, ensure the organization develops the capacity to manage the system even beyond the period of support with Internews;
- Be a support contact linking partners with the Global Technology Hub team to support issues related to online publishing platforms’ security, use and hosting.
- Helping partners better access, understand and use metrics tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook page insights and so forth;
- Collaborating on documentation of processes and in extending training materials;
- Working with an international team to maintain good communications, timelines and maintain reasonable expectations on service delivery;
- Be a first point of contact for urgent/emergency support, to either be handled directly, or to refer on to others in GTH or in our digital support community.
Candidates should possess the following experience, skillsets or background:
- Fluency in Burmese and English is required, and familiarity in any other relevant language is beneficial;
- A solid understanding of information security, and internet’s building blocks: DNS, SSL, IP, etc.;
- A solid understanding and some experience in platform security requirements for users (strong passwords, two-factor authentication, etc.)
- Using, and supporting other users to adopt digital security tools and best practices;
- Experience in supporting users on different censorship circumvention tools and methods of maintaining privacy and anonymity online.
- Understanding and experience with end-to-end encryption in communications and file transmission;
- Experience with delivering technical support over internet chat, voice or video calls or in creating documented how-to lessons and resources;
- Documentation ability and writing for hand-over, and clear writing.
- Ability to explain technical concepts in plain language for individuals and groups with different levels of digital experience and understanding;
- Able to provide support remotely, working with those who may have technical difficulties;
- Patience, and excellent communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work in a globally distributed team on projects with multiple milestones and deliverables;
- Passions for free expression and internet freedom;
Beneficial but not required
In addition to the above, it may be helpful (but not essential) if candidates have the following:
- Knowledge of other local languages and dialects;
- Some web development and DevOps experience;
- Familiarity working with git;
- Managing hosting environment for WordPress and other php website installations and migration;
- Comfortable editing HTML, CSS, and Markdown ;
- Managing domain records;
- Using anti-DDOS services and other attack-mitigation technologies (Cloudflare, Deflect, etc.);
- Fluency in at least one other regional or vernacular language (Persian, Turkish, French, Russian, etc) is advantageous;
- Experience in organisational security assessments (SAFETAG or other frameworks) is advantageous; and
- Experience or interest in working with charities and NGOs, nonprofits, media, human rights and/or civil society groups
How to apply
Please respond with ALL of the following items. When you submit your application, you must include:
- A CV in English;
- A cover letter explaining your background, qualifications and interest in this role, in English;
- 2-3 references that could be checked upon a conditional offer of employment.
Extra submission materials
Links to relevant samples of work (Git repositories, online materials or related writings or other creations or proof of experience and/or skills) are helpful, if you have them, but not essential to the application process.