Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Creative Associates seeks a Director of Finance for an exciting, unique, anticipated USAID-funded education project that seeks to improve learning outcomes in primary education for children across the country of Mozambique through innovative program models and sustainability driven designs. The program is an exciting opportunity to improve on existing activity models and introduce new innovative ways to partner with Government and local level bodies for change in education.
The Director of Finance will be based in Maputo, Mozambique and will provide overall management of finances and finance related duties for an innovative, anticipated USAID funded education program. This position could also oversee processes related to grants and contract disbursements as they relate to fiduciary responsibilities. In addition, the individual will act as a liaison with Headquarters to respond to HQ finance needs, ensure timely submission of reports and requests, ensure full compliance with regulations and policies related to implementation and oversee project-level submissions.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Finance Director will report to the COP and supervise finance team members.
- Work with Creative’s internal auditing system and Financial Comptroller to establish internal control systems, quality assurance, and accounting and financial reporting protocols for local subcontractors and/or sub-grantees;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Receive and account for all funds for the project (performing weekly and monthly cash checks);
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses;
- Participate in budget planning and realignments as required;
- Work closely with subcontractors to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/USAID policies and procedures;
- Coordinate and support project audits, grantor’s audit, or monitoring visits.
- Conduct educational and training workshops on proposal preparation and/or financial monitoring, as necessary.
- Oversee inputs in to Creative’s Integrated Management Database System (IDMS). Qualifications
- Master of Business and/or Public Administration, Master’s in Accounting and/or Financial Management, or appropriate equivalent Master’s-level academic degree, required.
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in grant management, including disbursements and reporting.
- Minimum 8 years experience in financial management of international development activities with increasing levels of responsibility
- Strong analytical capacity and team management skills;
- Previous experience working with USAID;
- Working experience in Africa preferred; and
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English. Portuguese proficiency desired.