Organization – Adeso: African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title – Director of Programs and Operations
Reporting To – Executive Director
Working Closely With – All levels of the organization
Duty Station – Nairobi, Kenya with travel into Somalia and other locations
Duration – 1 Year
Starting Date – Immediately
Application Deadline – 10th September, 2021.
Adeso is vibrant African based development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 30 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia along with global programs to decolonize and transform the humanitarian and development aid architecture. If you are passionate about the movement to decolonize the aid system and want to be part of a dynamic organization continuously pushing boundaries and providing thought leadership in the space, Adeso is the right place for you.
The Director of Programs and Operations is the senior-most operational staff member of Adeso reporting to the Executive Director and responsible for planning, directing and controlling the overall internal administrative functions by ensuring quality and impactful program delivery in line with organizational policies and procedures.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting directly to the Executive Director of Adeso, the Director of Programs and Operations will provide effective leadership towards Adeso’s Strategic Goals by implementing continuous improvement in the management of programs and operations in Kenya and Somalia. The position includes the following responsibilities:
Leadership and strategy development
- Responsible for the strategic development and management of all programs consistent with Adeso’s Vision, mission and policies, including overseeing quality implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and learning.
- Lead and work with the multidisciplinary team to ensure strategies, business plans, and timelines are embraced and implemented.
- Provide economic and political analysis as needed to ensure Adeso’s strategic positioning.
- Coordinate regular business development practices and establish relationships with key donors and partners.
- Contribute to the overall management of Adeso deputizing as Executive Director, including, but not limited to, the establishment of standard operating procedures, expected performance requirements, and an organizational culture.
- Working closely with the Executive Director, Organization Transformation Consultant and the Program team to define organizations goals and roles/responsibilities.
Programme and technical management.
- Support the development of and oversee timelines and workflow processes that ensure deliverables are completed on time and within budget.
- Design organizational structures that ensure team coordination with clear lines of responsibility and effective communication.
- Ensure programme quality including monitoring evaluation and learning, accountability, partnerships, alliances, communications and programme cycle management
- Provide appropriate programme development, technical, communication and advisory support to programs, in line with organizational priorities.
- Provide leadership for humanitarian emergency response programs when necessary.
Budget and resource planning
- Ensure good planning and budgeting and compliance to Adeso and Donor standards and procedures, including the timely and accurate monthly reporting and effective financial management of all resources allocated to the programs.
- Ensure compliance of all programs, accountable to all Adeso and donor policies and procedures for financial and asset management, including regular auditing practices
- Support the team to prepare, annual budgets for all programs and operations, assessing costs and budget/expenditures from projects and asset inventory.
- Develop the strategy and plans for, oversee and manage the Program department, HR department, logistics, operations, IT, Communications, Fund Development and all other administrative functions.
- Coordination and planning of operational activities; establish operational work-plan in close coordination with all of the Heads of Departments (HOD).
- Lead the periodic update of Adeso’s policies and procedures, including taking the lead inAdesoAdeso writing those policies governing the operational departments.
- Continually assess systems to streamline processes and enhance the integrity of those systems.
- Provide management oversight of the procurement department to ensure quality, timely and compliant procurements within an overall system of integrity; this includes establishing and maintaining tracking systems, holding staff accountable to the systems, following-up, and proactively identifying and filling gaps.
- Proactively identify solutions for enhancing Adeso’s bases of operation taking into account safety and security, improved efficiency and overall quality of life factors.
- Lead the HODs in managing responses to safety and security issues as they present themselves.
- Routinely and frequently engage operations staff based in the field to ensure that they are being supported with the knowledge and tools required to provide top quality support to the programs.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS.
As a prerequisite, the successful candidate must believe in the core values of Adeso and be driven by the mission. The candidate should demonstrate a passion for breaking new ground to lead change.
- Committed to the values of Adeso and passionate about our system change work
- Bachelor’s degree in management or related field required. Graduate degree highly desired.
- Proven track record of exceeding goals and a bottom line orientation
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends
- Evidence of good decision making, setting priorities, critical thinking skills, high level of business acumen and the ability to balance the delivery of programs against the reality of the budget
- Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people; a team builder with the ability to connect with all levels of employees; individually and collectively; develop a top notch workforce
- Strives for excellence and has experience in leading others to new levels of effectiveness and programmatic impact.
- High degree of self-confidence and ability to communicate well with both internal and external partners.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to the vision and mission of Adeso
- Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems.
- Thorough understanding of finance, systems, HR, broad experience with a full range of business functions and systems
- Seven (7) years or more in a leadership role in an NGO environment
- Knowledge of field operations in an NGO environment.
How to apply
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to email@example.com, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 10th September, 2021.
Each application should be addressed to HR and include the following:
- An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
- An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation.