Position Title : DTM Data Governance Manager
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 09 June 2021
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment. Read more about diversity and inclusion at IOM at www.iom.int/diversity.
Applications are welcome from first- and second-tier candidates, particularly qualified female candidates as well as applications from the non-represented member countries of IOM. For all IOM vacancies, applications from qualified and eligible first-tier candidates are considered before those of qualified and eligible second-tier candidates in the selection process.
For the purpose of this vacancy, the following are considered first-tier candidates:
- Internal candidates
- Candidates from the following non-represented member states:
Antigua and Barbuda; Botswana; Cabo Verde; Comoros; Cook Islands; Cuba; Fiji; Gabon; Guinea-Bissau; Guyana; Holy See; Iceland; Kingdom of Eswatini; Kiribati; Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the); Latvia; Luxembourg; Marshall Islands; Micronesia (Federated States of); Montenegro; Namibia; Nauru; Palau; Saint Kitts and Nevis; Saint Lucia; Saint Vincent and the Grenadines; Samoa; Sao Tome and Principe; Seychelles; Solomon Islands; Suriname; The Bahamas; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Tuvalu; Vanuatu
Second tier candidates include:
All external candidates, except candidates from non-represented member states.
IOM’s Displacement Tracking Matrix (DTM) gathers and analyze data to disseminate critical multi layered information on the mobility, vulnerabilities, and needs of displaced and mobile populations that enables decision makers and responders to provide these populations with better context specific assistance.
Under the overall supervision of the Global Coordinator for DTM and the direct supervision of the Senior DTM Coordination Manager, the successful candidate will be responsible for the management of the contextualization, operationalization, and implementation of IOM Migration Data Governance Policy into DTM operations worldwide. This will include also the coordination of the work on DTM Standards and DTM engagement within the further development and implementation of International Recommendation for IDP Statistics (IRIS) within the Expert
Group for Refugee and IDP Statistics (EGRIS).
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In coordination with IOM’s Office of Legal Affairs and the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Division, and considering key lessons learned from field-testing exercises, manage and coordinate the contextualization, further testing, and operationalization of IOM Migration Data Governance Policy for DTM operations worldwide.
- Lead and manage the development and further improvement of supporting tools for the operationalization of the policy. This includes, but not limited to, tools to support the field processes for delineation of data governance roles to DTM staff, classifications of DTM datasets, development of contextualized operating procedures for data handling and sharing, and strengthening measures for data protection, security and ethics.
- Lead and coordinate the roll out consultation process with DTM teams in IOM’s Regional and Country Offices related to the operationalization of the policy to DTM operations worldwide. This includes provision of remote support or onsite travel to the Country Offices as required.
- Ensure close coordination on data governance within the Global DTM Support Team, including working on data management, operations and methodological framework and standards development, to ensure proper adjustments in data and operational processes are done and in relevance to the operationalization of IOM Migration Data Governance Policy.
- Develop, adapt, and deliver relevant training materials related to DTM data governance at global, regional and/or country level and integrate those into the global DTM training packages accordingly.
- Ensure complete and adequate documentation of the processes and lessons learned related to contextualization, operationalization, and implementation of IOM Migration Data Governance Policy into DTM implementation.
- Design, develop and lead the implementation of system/mechanism to monitor compliance to the IOM Migration Data Governance Policy for DTM implementation worldwide. Provide regular reporting of progress and compliance.
- Support the coordination of the continuous development and roll out works of the DTM Standards at the global level in collaboration with DTM teams at the regional and country level.
- Support DTM’s strategic and technical engagement within the Expert Group for Refugee and IDP Statistics (EGRIS), especially in relation to the further development and implementation of the International Recommendations for IDP Statistics (IRIS) globally.
- Continuously explore and recommend opportunities for potential innovative tools and solutions to further support the operationalization of IOM Migration Data Governance Policy for DTM implementation worldwide.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, Migration Studies, Social Studies, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Demonstrated skills, knowledge, and experience in implementing data-related policy in large international organizations;
• Experience in quality management, compliance monitoring, and internal auditing;
• Experience in working on multi-countries multi-components data management activities;
• Experience in DTM implementation or other data related programmes and services;
• Experience in technical liaison and multi-level coordination with global, regional and national stakeholders;
• Demonstrated experience in official migration or displacement statistics, and experience working with National Statistical Offices; and,
• Experience querying and analyzing large data sets, SQL preferred.
• Excellent communication skills; capability to share ideas and explain results to all levels of the Organization and stakeholders.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
External applicants for this position in the Professional category are required to be proficient in English and have at least a working knowledge of French.
For all applicants, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French, Spanish and/or other UN languages is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates endorsed by the Appointments and Postings Board will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
How to apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 09 June 2021 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 27.05.2021 to 09.06.2021
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: VN 2021 116 DTM Data Governance Manager (P3) Geneva, Switzerland (57015732) Released
Posting: Posting NC57015733 (57015733) Released