The Education in Emergencies Advisor is responsible for ensuring high quality programming of Education in Emergencies Projects. S/he will ensure technical standards are defined, shared and used across projects, coordination, standardization of approaches and use of common approaches in different projects, and that quality of program are of nationally/internationally accepted and recommended standards. The Advisor builds strong external relations, and produces and utilises high quality and well-articulated project evidence and research for learning, advocacy and for the continued development of the Education portfolio.
Programming Quality and effectiveness
* Provide technical advice and support in EiE to support quality programming and implementation for EiE projects and the design and delivery of the EiE strategy.
* Ensuring that needs are identified and that EiE projects address the identified needs, fill gaps and prevent overlap and duplication and to inform the development and delivery of the EiE strategy with integrated links with other sectors.
* Actively seek innovative programme improvements and programme design and proposals which encourage donor diversification and the opportunity to try new approaches.
* Ensure priority cross-cutting issues are embedded in programming interventions.
* Actively communicate and coordinate with other sector specialists and relevant technical advisors and project coordinators to ensure integrated approaches across themes.
* Ensure common approaches and SCI quality frameworks standards are incorporated into proposals and implemented.
* Work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) team to ensure EiE work is contributing to all objectives across these priority quality areas. Contribute to the development of an M&E framework for the Education programme that monitors the impact of projects and progress towards strategic operational and advocacy objectives.
* Conduct regular field visits to provide supportive supervision to all Education programs and build capacity of staff.
* Review all Education donor reports to ensure high quality.
* Build capacity of staff and partners to ensure they have skills to deliver programmes and objectives and meet donor and SCI quality standards.
* Support multiple education consortiums (which are led by SCI) technically where required
Fundraising and donor engagement
* Support donor engagement and strategic fundraising to secure sufficient funding to maintain or expand the country office’s education programs as per the country strategic plan needs and in a pro-active manner.
* Develop and maintain contacts with current and potential donors, partners and key technical agencies. Support donor meetings and visits.
* Ensure that members are aware of funding opportunities and support their capacity to access these.
* Secure sufficient funding to maintain or expand the country office’s education programs as per the country strategic plan needs.
Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning
* Conduct needs assessment and analysis prioritised and ensure that results are shared and feedback into programming as well as other evidence collation to inform programme design.
* Develop appropriate monitoring tools, and ensure they are understood and used.
* Contribute to the development of an MEAL framework and tools for EiE that monitors the impact of projects and progress towards strategic operational and advocacy objectives.
* Ensure learning is fed back into programme design.
* Provide technical expertise in evaluations and research related to EiE and work with MEAL to utilise and build on the recommendations of these.
* Develop policy briefs and position papers related to Education and EiE with the Head of Advocacy
* Keep abreast of national and global debate in Education, EIE and relevant sub-themes, analyse and use in programming and advocacy to pro-actively inform the advocacy activity and strategy
* With the support of the Head of Advocacy, Communications and Campaigns, develop and implement EiE advocacy work to achieve EiE/education advocacy objectives and outcomes.
* Represent Save the Children in relevant working groups, task forces, seminars and related fora in the thematic area; and among donors, UN agencies, International NGOs, and national and sub-national government counterparts in coordination.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
* Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
* Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
* Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
* Builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
* Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
* Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* Cuts away bureaucracy and encourages an entrepreneurial approach
* Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
* Displays consistent excellent judgement
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
* Master Degree in Education or related field or an equivalent education
* At least 3 years’ experience at senior level in the education sector and working in international assignments with INGOs. 5 years working at national level and in education sector can also considered.
* In depth knowledge and experience implementing EiE standards and education quality frameworks in projects
* Experience of responding in the first-phase of an emergency/working in and implementation of education projects in emergency situation.
* Demonstrated experience in developing high quality proposals and fundraising, with experience in donor engagement.
* Experience of working with implementing partners in a consortium and of building coalitions to affect change, working with clusters
* Ability to travel and spend time in field locations
* Excellent interpersonal, communication’ and presentation skills.
* Experience of undertaking, commissioning and managing applied education research
* Excellent communication skills with a high level of written and spoken English
* Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
* Proven skills as a trainer/facilitator and mentor
* Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, to, and understanding of, Save the Children’s Principles and values’ including child rights, child protection and gender equality.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
* No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
* All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
* Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
How to apply
Please follow this link to apply: https://www.aplitrak.com/?adid=ZmsuODExNDEuMTIxODVAc2F2ZXRoZWNoaWxkcmVuY…