IFES is currently recruiting for an Election Systems Advisor position for the proposed Three-Nietti Elections program in Senegal. If awarded, this program will seek to strengthen the accountability, transparency, and integrity of Senegal’s electoral process, working with election management bodies and civil society, with a focus on elections anticipated in 2022 and 2024. The Electoral Systems Advisor will serve as the Technical Lead under the direction of the Chief of Party on the program and is responsible for overseeing all activities and providing technical assistance to key institutions in all activities related to electoral reform including capacity building, legal reform, electoral operations, electoral dispute resolution, voter registration, inclusion, strategic communications, and voter education. Job Responsibilities:
Technical direction and program implementation:
- * Build and foster organizational and technical capacity of the Commision Électorale Nationale Autonome, ection Générale des Élections, and other various government and non-government stakeholders.
- * Conduct detailed organizational assessment of the EMBs’ capacity and establish a technical assistance plan based on identified needs and a proposed election calendar.
- * Advise on the general implementation of electoral activities, providing support to improve electoral systems, planning and procedures. Apply knowledge of international election standards to advise on reform efforts.
- * Develop and provide advice on regulations, policies, and procedures to implement electoral reforms.
- * Support development and implementation of EMB staff professional development and poll worker training programs, including training materials and manuals.
- * Provide guidance on EMB communications and voter education/outreach strategies in particular to reach women, youth, persons with disabilities, and first-time voters.
- * Liaise with other election assistance implementers and the donor and diplomatic community to coordinate activities and maximize the impact of collective technical assistance efforts.
- * Develop and maintain constructive working relationships with national counterparts, national and international assistance providers, and democracy and governance organizations and strategic partners.
- * Evaluate strategies and activities on an ongoing basis to ensure maximum impact, proactively identifying appropriate next steps and collaborating with IFES technical experts.
- * Draft activity reports, collect monitoring and evaluation data, and participate in the drafting of quarterly and annual reports.
- * Other duties as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- * At least 10 years of relevant work experience directly related to policy reform and/or technical assistance for electoral administration, systems and processes in developing countries, significant experience working in Senegal preferred.
- * Extensive technical expertise and experience in election systems and administration, with specific experience in electoral training and capacity-building of EMBs.
- * Technical expertise and experience in constitutional reform mechanisms.
- * Extensive experience with implementing electoral cycle projects in conflict/post-conflict settings.
- * Experience managing policy development and legal reform interventions.
- * Excellent past performance references.
- * Demonstrated experience in gender and/or integrating and mainstreaming gender issues into interventions.
- * Strong oral and written communication skills.
- * Strong professional and collaborative management skills.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Prior experience working in an international office in a politically sensitive and challenging environment. Strong professional and collaborative skills when working with a team. Ability and skills to promote and inspire effective collaboration between individuals, organizations and networks, demonstrating strong diplomacy skills and cultural and gender sensitivities. Strong consultative, collaborative and participatory way of working. Strong interpersonal, presentation, and communications skills to meet the diverse technical and managerial requirements of the program and to effectively coordinate with a wide range of stakeholders. Experience living and working in West Africa strongly preferred. Knowledge of local/regional politics and development preferred.
- Fluency in English and French (written and spoken)
All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”