The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania and Djibouti.
The Environment and Climate Change Waste Expert/Specialist supports delegations in identifying and implementing projects to reduce their environmental impacts, particularly concerning sustainable waste management. In some cases, s/he directly manages sustainable response projects, in relation to her/his area of expertise, under the supervision of her/his direct manager.
Tasks and responsibilities
· Helps delegations to reduce the environmental impact of their waste, by performing site waste situation analysis, proposing a package of measures to reduce, reuse and recycle generated waste and helps them in developing their waste management plans, with a specific attention to hazardous types of wastes;
· Prioritizes the delegation to be supported by reviewing their waste management score and helps them to reduce it;
· Supports the Green team and Premises team in the Nairobi delegation and the Nairobi Logistics Centre to maintain their waste management plans;
· Sensitizes delegations and ICRC staff in general to the risks associated with waste, particularly hazardous and plastic waste, and helps delegations understand the importance of waste management and data collection;
· Supports different teams to write instructions for the proper handling of their waste, including requirements for the equipment needed when managing waste, as well as any safety procedures;
· Supports representatives of a delegation or field programme in defining a waste management action plan, priorities for implementation and the project objectives, budget and implementation plan;
· Provides technical guidance to colleagues working on the sites or field programmes on hazardous waste management related matters;
· Captures lessons learned from waste management projects and supports dissemination of the findings. In general, promotes the project and derives best practices to be shared across the organisation, including by presenting project plans, results, outcomes, etc., to small audiences (mainly internally);
· Writes project review documents, analysis reports, minutes of meetings, etc.
· Organises or takes part in training and awareness campaigns on waste management, particularly hazardous and plastic, the environment and climate change for ICRC staff;
· Adds technical (hazardous) waste management expertise to the Environment and Climate Change Team and is the team’s main point of call for all waste related matters;
· Investigates and stays up to date with new waste management technologies.
Minimum Requirements and competencies
· University degree from a recognized university in Engineering or, Technical degree with specialization in waste management;
· Minimum 3-5 years professional working experience in a similar field;
· Experience in project management, data analysis and reporting;
· Experience in delivering presentation and reports;
· Excellent command of written and spoken English (Knowledge of French is an asset);
· Project management certification is an asset;
· Certificate of good conduct.
How to apply
The interested candidates should fill up a form by clicking the link below on or before 21st May 2021 at 4:30 pm then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) and current and expected remuneration to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- Application Form
- E-mail: email@example.com
The reference Environment and Climate Change Specialist must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not fill out the required information as per the link provided or clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE*.