I. Position Information
Reporting directly to
Head of Labour Mobility & Human Development, IOM-Bahrain
Overall supervision by
Chief of Mission, IOM-Bahrain
Requirements for application
Submission of CV and Cover Letter
See application section below for further information**
*II. Organisational Context and Scope
In recent years, different Governments in the Gulf have introduced labour reforms to promote sustainable economic development and offer better protection to migrant workers in their countries. As Governments and other stakeholders continue to strive to strengthen labour migration management systems, promoting ethical and safe recruitment policies and practices is key.
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) has developed tools that address both the recruitment and employment phase of migrant workers’ journey to ensure early detection of possible risks, the prevention of exploitation as well as providing protection and remedy to vulnerable workers, where needed. These include the International Recruitment Integrity System (IRIS) and the Corporate Responsibility for Eliminating Slavery and Trafficking (CREST).
IOM in Bahrain supports the Government of Saudi Arabia in different areas related to migrant protection and assistance, labour migration, orientation and information programmes as well as with technical inputs and policy recommendations. To assist the Government in strengthening recruitment policies and systems, IOM will be providing technical analysis, policy recommendations and/or programmatic activities.
The Ethical Recruitment Specialist will be responsible for developing knowledge products and coordinating capacity-building activities that promote the safe and ethical recruitment of migrant workers in Saudi Arabia. Both IRIS and CREST will be key resources for this.
S/he will report directly to the Head of Labour Mobility and Human Development (LHD) in IOM-Bahrain and will be expected to work closely with the Project Officer for LHD in KSA and the IRIS and CREST Teams in IOM HQ.
III. CONSULTANCY OBJECTIVE
The objective of this consultancy is to provide monthly reports outlining the progress made towards activities that relate to recruitment analysis and capacity-building activities in Saudi Arabia. **
IV. SCOPE OF WORK
The Ethical Recruitment Specialist will develop relevant knowledge products and implement project activities that strengthen capacities of key stakeholders to promote ethical recruitment in Saudi Arabia.
S/he will be responsible for the following:
· Coordinate and implement the Capacity Building Programme of IRIS and CREST Programme in Saudi Arabia, including carrying out trainings, consultations and contributing to project reporting;
· Liaise closely with the IRIS Secretariat Team at IOM HQ and CREST Team for the implementation of project activities in Saudi Arabia;
· Coordinate all programmatic activities related to recruitment with the Project Officer for LHD KSA and Head of LHD;
· Produce a situational analysis of the Saudi recruitment industry of migrant workers, examining legal, regulatory, economic and social factors that interplay with national recruitment standards;
· Put together a stakeholder assessment for Saudi Arabia to understand the role of each stakeholder group, related mandates, challenges and organizational capacities;
· Undertake duty travel related to project implementation and problem-solving;
· Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
V. DELIVERABLES AND SCHEDULE
The schedule of delivery is expected to be as follows:
Indicative time-frame for delivery
1st Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
4 weeks from signing the contract
2nd Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
8 weeks from signing the contract
3rd Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
12 weeks from signing the contract
4th Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
16 weeks from signing the contract
5th Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
20 weeks from signing the contract
6th Ethical Recruitment Progress Report
24 weeks from signing the contract
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible
· Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organisational principles/rules and standards of conduct
· Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimise results
· Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action-oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes
· Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate
· Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organisation’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work
· Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
VII. REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
· Advanced degree in law, migration studies, political economy, sociology or a similar discipline;
· A minimum of 5 years of work experience in the field of labour analysis and/or migration;
· Demonstrated research and technical experience on topics related to labour migration including carrying out primary and secondary data collection;
· Strong knowledge of international labour and recruitment standards and global challenges is required;
· Strong knowledge of the Gulf states’ labour migration management systems is strongly desirable.
· Professional fluency in spoken and written English and Arabic is required.
IX. CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT
Contracted consultants are not permitted to use any of his/her gathered data, reported findings, contributions to the draft and final reports to further his/her personal research.
How to apply
Qualified interested candidates should submit their CVs together with a 1-page motivation letter to IOM Bahrain (firstname.lastname@example.org) on or before 18 August 2021. Applications received after this date will not be considered. Please write “*Application to Ethical Recruitment Specialist Vacancy*” in the subject of your application email.