Overview of position:
- Our clients mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the UN, govt’s & other partners to manage projects, infrastructure & procurement in a sustainable & efficient manner. Within these three core areas of expertise, Our clients provides its partners with advisory, implementation & transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools & hospitals, to procuring goods, services & training local personnel. Our clients works closely with govt’s & communities to ensure increased economic, social & environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices in development, humanitarian & peacebuilding contexts, always satisfying or surpassing partner expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, Our clients offers its partners the logistical, technical & management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure & global reach means we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans & procedures of the UN security management system & that of Our client. Under the direct supervision of or clients Gaza Head of Operations, the EOD Officer will provide support to all related EOD tasks and will in particular be responsible for:
- Coordinate, facilitate & prioritize all operational tasking for Deep Buried Bomb (DBB) sites within the area office in coordination with Gaza stakeholders (UNRWA ,Gaza EOD police, OCHA, UNDP UNDSS).
- Responsible for all aspects of EOD related activities carried out by staff under your supervision & control.
- Oversee & coordinate the implementation, execution & completion of all EOD / DBB related operations within the area office.
- Oversee the supervision of contracts with the DBB contractor to ensure contractual conformity.
- The maintenance, revision & updating of the DBB standard working procedures.
- When requested, act as the Investigating Officer for detailed independent investigations or Boards of Inquiry for mine / UXO accidents or incidents.
- Debriefing the deep buried bomb contractor on DBB working site QA achievements, assessments.
- Ensure that all QA assessment data is captured on IMSMA.
- Provide guidance on any specific corrective actions to be taken by the DBB contractor, following an inspection, which finds a critical non conformity.
- Ensure proper maintenance of documentation for all DBB site.
- The implementation of a QA management system & ensure that the system is being applied in a fair & equitable manner among DBB contractors.
- Conduct daily onsite QA of DBB working site.
- Ensure that mine action organization Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) are in compliance with the IMAS & are suitable for conducting safe & effective mine action operations.
- Other tasks as directed by the Head of Operations.
- This role works under the direct supervision of our clients Gaza Head of Operations.
- Masters Degree or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience or a Bachelors Degree or equivalent with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience or Military Experience (or relevant Police Experience) at the Senior NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) or Officer level (or equivalent) with a minimum of 15 years of relevant experience or if an applicant lacks both university qualifications & military experience s/ he must have at least 15 years of experience with internationally recognized demining organizations.
- At least 15 years’ work experience in operations management (military or humanitarian mine action).
- Proven & applicable experience in management of operations in humanitarian mine action required.
- Proven & applicable recent experience (within the past 10 years). with the location, excavation & disposal of aircraft bombs is required.
- Proven & applicable experience with handling, destruction of white phosphorus ammunition is required.
- Proven experience with QA processes with regard to humanitarian mine action.
- Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD L3) qualification is required.
- A clear understanding of the interactions between the pillars & implementing partners involved in a humanitarian mine action program.
- Professional knowledge of demining & explosives ordnance equipment.
- A solid understanding of UXO clearance operations & related practices.
- Knowledge of International Mine Action Standards (IMAS) is essential.
- Knowledge of the UN system & Our clients procedures is an asset.
- Experience in training or capacity building is desired.
- Ability to works under pressure & in a stressful environment.
- Ability to adapt to the restricted cultural environment.
- Computer literacy, in particular experience of using MS Office & IMSMA.
- Internationally recognized driving license.
- Fluency in spoken & written English is required.
- Fluency in spoken & written French or Arabic (desirable).
- Develops clear EOD operation goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities & assignments, adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time & resources for completing DBB work. Foresees risks & allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors, adjusts plans & actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes & maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs & gain support. Anticipates & resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solution. Drives for change & improvement does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas & expertise, is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports & acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments & accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation & comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive & negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others & on the organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed & underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary
- Speaks, writes clearly & effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others & responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify & exhibits interest in having two way communication. Tailors language, tone, style & format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information & keeping people informed.
- Keeps abreast of available technology. Understands applicability & limitations of technology to the work of the office. Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks. Shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Takes ownership of all responsibilities & honours commitments. Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within the prescribed time, cost & quality standards. Operates in compliance with organizational regulations & rules. Supports subordinates, provides oversight & takes responsibility for delegated assignments. Takes personal responsibility for his / her own shortcomings & those of the work unit, where applicable.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- To be advised.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website as a candidate and apply for this role using the below link: