Overview of CTG:
- CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
Overview of the position:
- Our client is a part of the UN migration Agency & is a dynamic & growing INGO, with 172 member states. IOM is committed to the principle that “humane & orderly migration benefits migrants and society”. Established in 1951 & now active in over 440 field locations worldwide, they work with partners, govt. & CSO’s to promote international cooperation to address operational challenges of migration & mobility, assist in the search for practical solutions to migration problems & to provide humanitarian assistance to migrants in need, including refugees & IDP’s. Our client addresses the migratory phenomenon from an integral & holistic perspective, including links to development, in order to maximize its benefits & minimize its negative effects.
- Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission & the direct supervision of the Program Manager (Community Resilience & Peacebuilding / CRP) & in collaboration with the Program Officer & National Project Officer, the Field Engineering Assistant will be required to work as a member of the CRP team to assist in designing, implementing & coordinate the construction of various infrastructure projects in Cabo Delgado province.
The Field Engineering Assistant will be required to work as a member of the CRP team to assist in designing, implementing & coordinate the construction of various infrastructure projects in Cabo Delgado Province. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Monitor contractor’s work daily to ensure that our clients design specifications are correctly interpreted & applied / interpreted.
- Liaise and interact with the consultants & contractor’s engineers on a daily basis to discuss technical issues on the site.
- Provide updates & report on the progress of the construction & rehabilitation work for the CRP program & any challenges encountered.
- Assist in verifying quantities, timeliness & quality of work as claimed by the contractors in their billing statements.
- Draft engineering drawings, plans & prepare cost estimates, Bill of Quantities (BoQ), technical specifications, schedules & other tender documents.
- Support the liaison with project stakeholders as needed for the success of the CRP projects.
- Support consultations & needs assessments related to infrastructure development & service improvement in locations targeted by CRP unit.
- Follow up on procurement processes in coordination with the procurement unit & payments to service providers, contractors & suppliers in coordination with the resource management unit.
- Perform such other duties as may be required or assigned.
- This role works under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission & the direct supervision of the Program Manager (Community Resilience & Peacebuilding / CRP) & in collaboration with the Program Officer & National Project Officer.
- This role has no team management responsibility.
- Minimum of 4 year of experience in Africa (essential).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Structural or Electrical Engineering & / or Architecture from an accredited academic institution with at least 4 years of relevant professional experience or minimum completed High School Degree from an accredited school, with at least 6 years of relevant work experience.
- More than combined 4 years’ experience in engineering design & consulting works, in monitoring & supervision of projects in the construction industry.
- Flexible to work in the field to supervise the contractor & in the office to prepare cost estimates, Bill of Quantities (BoQ), technical specifications, schedules & other tender documents.
- Competent to use Computer Aided Design (CAD) technology & design software (Auto CADD, STAAD, MS Office, etc.) as well as surveying instruments (level, total station, etc.), mapping devices (GPS) & related software (ArcGIS, QGIS, etc.) would be of great added value.
- Able to prepare schedules / Bills of Quantities & estimating cost as well use of MS Office suite software (Word, Excel, Project, etc).
- Knowledgeable in Mozambican national building standards & related local / international standards & specifications.
- Knowledge of local context in target project areas (i.e. northern region of Mozambique).
- Knowledge of UN & bilateral donor programming.
- Knowledge of financial rules & regulations.
- Knowledge of procurement principles are policies.
- Excellent knowledge in MS Office applications.
- Must be fluent in English & Portuguese.
- Fluency in local languages of Cabo Delgado province is an advantage.
Other relevant information:
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply for this role.
How to apply
Candidates interested in applying for this role need to register on CTG website & apply for this role using the below link: