*The Canadian Red Cross, part of the world’s largest humanitarian network, is hiring a Finance and Logistic Delegate. Do you have a passion for helping others and want to work with other dedicated individuals? Read further to find out if this role is right for you.*
In partnership with the Mali Red Cross (CRM), the CRC will soon start implementing a 5-year project to improve adolescent health in Mali (Projet de santé adolescente au Mali – SAM), with anticipated funding from Global Affairs Canada (GAC). The project aims to increase and improve access to health facility and community-based health services with a focus on Sexual Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) and Protection (including Child Protection), Gender Equality, Social Inclusion, and Community Engagement and Accountability (PGIE) with a specific focus on reducing the prevalence of child marriage through education and community participation and outreach.
*The CRC is seeking a Finance and Logistics Delegate experienced in the administration of projects and programs with international humanitarian NGOs in developing countries to support the implementation of the SAM Project in Mali. Reporting to the CRC Country Representative in Mali, the Finance and Logistics Delegate will be responsible to lead the finance and logistics functions of the CRC Delegation in Mali, including timely reporting on financial activities in accordance with the policies, procedures, format, and frequency required by CRC and its project donors. The Delegate will provide the Project and CRC Delegation with professional finance and budgetary support and advice. S/he will be responsible for the compliance of financial transactions with the policies and procedures established by CRC for the implementation of the Project, including monitoring and auditing functions for the CRC Delegation. While there is local staff working on accounting functions, the Finance Delegate will need to verify transactions, review the capacity of the local staff, and assess whether capacity strengthening is required to ensure accurate financial management.*
In addition and in coordination with the Country Representative, s/he will contribute to provision of support to the national society to ensure timely, cost-efficient and robust logistical support (forecasting procurement, stock management and supply of medical and non-medical items, transport and fleet management, energy and electricity, ITC, office and team accommodation, construction and rehabilitation, etc.) to program activities, rigorously implementing existing CRC National Office logistics policies, developing local logistics procedures and building technical capacity of national staff. S/he will be responsible for liaising with logistics representatives of the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Dakar liaising with the Logistics department of the CRC in Ottawa, and the Logistics department of the Mali Red Cross (CRM).
Who you are:
- Ability to manage competing priorities, handle multiple demands simultaneously, work under pressure and meet deadlines. Required
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial requirements for the management of projects funded by Global Affairs Canada. Preferred
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing for different audiences, adapting style to the situation. Required
- Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders. Required
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal supervision, and as part of a team. Required
- Strong initiative, diplomacy, flexibility, and sound decision-making skills. Required.
- Excellent oral and written skills in French and English. (Language testing will be administered). Required.
- Proficiency in accounting software such as Microsoft Office, particularly in Excel. Required.
- Understanding of the Red Cross Movement
- Security and Risk Management
- Cultural Sensitivity and Adaptability
- Excellence in Program Delivery
- Relationships and Diplomacy
You will enjoy:
- Culture: an organization that is guided by our fundamental principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality
- Opportunity: to work with the best and brightest in the non-profit field, in an environment that promotes continuous learning, creativity and collaboration
- Employee Benefits: achieve a work/life balance for you and your new team with competitive vacation time, generous personal days and flexible work arrangements
- Meaningful Work: you will be supporting emergencies and save lives
As a Finance and Logistics Delegate you will work on:
Project Financial Management (70 %)
Working closely with the CRM finance department, delegation finance assistant and CRC Finance department in HQ, the delegate will:
- Manage all financial aspects (budgeting, accounting and reporting) of the project field operations with an annual budget of approximately $ 3 Millions CA.
- Understand and apply the terms and conditions of the project Contribution Agreement as they relate to financial management and reporting.
- Oversee the recording of financial transactions in accordance with the requirements of the donor (Global Affairs Canada) and CRC policies and procedures.
- Develop, in collaboration with the Mali Red Cross, accurate financial reporting systems for the Project and ensure consistent use and maintenance of financial systems.
- Compile accurate, regular (monthly and quarterly) and timely financial reports for the Project and the CRC Delegation in Mali and investigate and address significant variances.
- Manage the Project and Delegation fixed assets list, cash flow and cost control measures.
- Manage the Project and Delegation payments, cashier, and bank signatory.
- Ensure accurate accounting, approvals and internal control procedures are in place and respected.
- Ensure timesheets are completed by both CRC Delegates and local Project staff.
- Facilitate the organisation of internal or external review or an audit, as required.
- Maintain regular communication with Finance counterpart at CRC National Office for feedback and validation of transactions charged to the project.
Working closely with the CRM logistics department, delegation logistic assistant and CRC Logistics department in HQ, the delegate will:
- Closely monitor the procurement of goods and services for the Delegation, ensuring that documentation meets CRC procurement and full audit standards. Oversee and provide advice on the negotiation of contracts required by the Delegation for goods and services.
- Support procurement practices using accepted standards for procurement of goods and services.
- Provide guidance to the Delegation in identifying and planning required logistical support for effective and efficient delivery of Project operations.
- Maintain inventory of all goods and services and maintain all documents to full audit standards in collaboration with Finance and Administration staff.
- Ensure that purchased goods meet CRC standards and are fit for their intended purpose and, when required, have appropriate inspection certificates.
- Maintain and update a supplier’s register for regularly purchased goods and services and cultivate/nurture working relationships with suppliers.
- Maintain files for all import and export documentation.
- Develop, maintain and update the Project procurement plan and report against the plan in Project narrative reports.
- Advise, create and manage the most efficient method for CRC Delegation transportation (rental, lease, purchase) and provide monthly report on transportation.
- Set up lease agreements, implement and maintain use of transport management system for CRC Delegation vehicles and support the office in planning the best use of vehicles (including COVID-19 considerations), and the management of drivers.
- Regular monitoring of fuel consumption and vehicle maintenance and management and provide vehicle usage reports as required.
- Oversee management and monitoring of the Project and delegation’s stock, according to the CRC’s procedures and tools and ensure that stocking sites are appropriate, in terms of location, layout, and salubriousness.
- Ensure the continuous improvement of logistics tools, systems, and resources for the highest efficiency of the CRC delegation, in accordance with CRC Logistics guidelines and standard practices.
Support an effective team (10%)
- Develops and maintains membership in the functional department, ICP, and designated project team. Collaborates to fulfill the agreed objectives, needs and expectations. Fosters team work through a professional exchange of experiences and expertise.
- Assess CRM and local Project staff capacity in finance and administration and logistics, provide support in addressing them and identify training needs on financial and logistics management and compliance.
- In collaboration with CRC Finance and Logistic Departments, develop a capacity building plan in finance and logistics for the relevant CRM staff and local Project staff.
- Train, support and advise the CRM in the development of its financial and administrative systems and provide regular mentoring and accompaniment to the CRM Finance and Logistics Teams.
- Advise the Country Representative and CRC Project team on financial, administrative and logistics matters.
- Work in collaboration and coordination with other CRC delegation members and provides back-up to colleagues as required.
- Follows all CRC’s policies and procedures required to maintain a healthy and safe working environment.
- Participates in disaster planning, preparation and response, as required.
We’re looking for:
- University Masters level degree – in Finance and/or Accounting OR Bachelor with 5 years of additional professional experience in lieu of a Masters’ degree.
- Professional certification in accounting. (Asset)
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in financial accounting and reporting, with experience in a management role.
- Experience in developing a finance system from inception, including monitoring and auditing functions.
- Experience and demonstrated competency in the management of resources with experience in core functions of logistics such as procurement. (Asset)
- Previous international work experience with a humanitarian or development NGO in Sub-Saharan Africa preferably in West Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring managers and staff in financial policies, systems, and procedures.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of financial/accounting systems.
- Demonstrated experience in staff supervision, management and capacity building.
- Experience with Red Cross / Red Crescent accounting system. (Asset)
- Ability to manage competing priorities, handle multiple demands simultaneously, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated knowledge of financial requirements for the management of projects funded by Global Affairs Canada. (Asset)
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, orally and in writing for different audiences, adapting style to the situation.
- Ability to establish/maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work both independently, with minimal supervision, and as part of a team.
- Strong initiative, diplomacy, flexibility, and sound decision-making skills.
This is an unaccompanied position based in Bamako with regular travel to the project sites in Koulikoro regions, in the 3 districts located within 100 km from Bamako.
Working in Mali can be very demanding, both physically and psychologically . Difficult working conditions are expected, including the following:
- Long hours of work in a demanding context with limited resources
- The ability to work in a high risk, fluid and evolving situation may be required, as is the ability to work in stressful and often ambiguous conditions.
- Basic living conditions that may include intermittent electricity, Internet and other basic services
- Issues of access and mobility due to the dynamic nature of an emergency situation and proximity to disaster-affected area
- CRC supports a safe working environment and comfortable accommodation however, as in all contexts, delegates must be aware and responsible for their personal safety and that of employees under their supervision.
- In some contexts, legal frameworks and institutions to enforce the rule of law are largely undeveloped.
- In some remote areas access to healthcare could be limited or non-existent
- All CRC delegates must be cleared by the Travel Health Team with full medical and vaccination clearance, according to COVID-19 procedures
At the Canadian Red Cross, our mission is to improve lives of vulnerable people. We are driven by the power of humanity to create a diverse, accessible, and equitable work environment. We celebrate uniqueness of every human being regardless of your race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, physical or mental disability, gender identity or expression.
Please notify us as soon as possible of any adaptive measures you might require at any stage of the recruitment process.