FINANCE & GRANTS OFFICER (Part Time)
Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative
The Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) is offering an exciting opportunity to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting our office in London in its human rights efforts. You will be part of a small team, managing our finance systems and processes, and supporting our grant management efforts.
CHRI is an international, independent, non-governmental organisation working for the practical realisation of human rights in the Commonwealth through research, advocacy and mobilisation. Headquartered in New Delhi, it also has offices in London and Accra. This position is for our CHRI office based in London.
CHRI focuses on the intersection of human rights, transparency and good governance, with programmes on access to justice, access to information, eradicating contemporary forms of slavery and human trafficking, media freedoms, and building the capacity of small States to access UN human rights mechanisms. CHRI’s work on eradicating contemporary forms of slavery and human trafficking is led by CHRI’s London office, which also founded and acts as the Secretariat for the Commonwealth 8.7 Network – a group of 60+ local civil society organisations from across the globe who share a common vision to eradicate contemporary forms of slavery and human trafficking.
To learn more about the work of CHRI London see our website.
For more information on the Commonwealth 8.7 Network, see the network website.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The post holder will manage our finance systems and processes and will be expected to undertake the following responsibilities:
● Undertake finance duties including book-keeping, processing invoices, and expenses, and maintaining and administering petty cash systems.
● Maintain an accurate record of financial transactions in Quickbooks
● Lead reporting and filing of accounts to the Charity Commission and Companies House as well as reporting processes to all other relevant institutions
● Assist with the annual audit and accounts preparation including the preparation of the trial balance and year end reconciliations and schedules.
● Monitor fundraising efforts and proposal deadlines
● Support fundraising activities, including drafting of project budgets for project proposals
● Manage grants from institutional and private donors, including budget monitoring and financial reporting
● Ensure value for money and accurate implementation and allocation of project funds
● Track all CHRI projects and project funders including preparing financial reports of expenses made on all projects
● Assist with the administration of personnel contracts and other human resource administration
● Undertake other responsibilities which are commensurate with a role of this nature and which have been discussed and agreed with the Director – we are a small team and flexibility is needed!
Position In Organisation
● Reports to the Director of CHRI London
● Work closely with all team members, and the Treasurer of the Board from time to time
We are looking for a candidate with at least two years of financial and/or programmatic administration experience, preferably with a charity and in an international context. You should be able to demonstrate impeccable organisational skills, be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, be flexible in your approach to work, and willing to get involved in a variety of different tasks related to your mandate.
● A Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration
● Have or be working towards a professional accounting qualification (i.e. ACCA, ACA, CIMA)
● At least two years of experience of managing organisational accounts. Experience in the NGO or international sector or related field will be an added advantage.
● Experience of using Quickbooks to process and report
● Experience in managing donor funds and ensuring compliance with donor requirements including budget preparation, monitoring and financial reporting, including experience with institutional donors.
● Ability to present, discuss and supervise compliance with grants monitoring protocols with team members of varying levels.
● Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective project files for accountability and audit purposes.
● Relevant computer software skills and familiarity with computerized accounting software (including, at a minimum, the standard applications in MS Office).
● Experience of scheduling meetings and/or event management, including using digital platforms while COVID restrictions apply, and booking events/travel when applicable.
● Highly organised with precise attention to detail.
● Excellent communications skills, including writing and oral presentation skills in English
● A flair for learning new skills and quickly adapting to new ways of working.
● Ability to work methodically and independently while knowing when to report upwards
● Ability to organise, prioritise, and deliver to a high standard under time constraints and pressure.
● Solution-focused with an ability to exercise judgement to solve problems.
● Experience working as part of an international, cross-cultural team
● Knowledge of GDPR regulation
Information for Applicants
Contract: One year, with anticipated extension. Flexible working hour options will be considered. This role is part time, requiring approximately 1.5 – 2.0 days per week.
How to apply
To Apply: To apply for this position, please forward a cover letter (of no more than one page) and your CV to email@example.com. Please include in your covering letter:
● a summary of your education qualifications,**
● the number of years of work experience you have, **
● how you meet the requirements of this post, and **
● why you are interested in this position. **
Please write ‘**Application: Finance & Grants Officer** in the subject line of your email.
Application Deadline: 31July 2021
Interviews will be held by mid-August 2021.
In accordance with our diversity policy, we welcome applications from LGBTQ+ community and/or minority groups.
Due to the number of applications we expect to receive, only those who are shortlisted will be contacted. We thank you in advance for your application.