Job Title: Finance Officer
Grade: 6 (N)
Level: Senior Specialist
Location: Kampala Uganda
This position is responsible for the daily expenditure, management and maintenance of the RSC Africa financial records in CWS Kampala office, in accordance with the guidelines of DOS/PRM and RSC Africa policies and procedures. The position works closely with the Nairobi-based Finance team, Administration Manager, Human Resource staff, General Services staff and other staff in the Administration and Program Departments.
This position reports directly to the Administration Manager based in Kampala.
- Administers, disburses and replenishes the Shilling and Dollar petty cash funds.
- Enters check and petty cash payments into Sage 300 accounting system.
- Enters data into the accounts receivable module and distributes quarterly debtors’ statements to staff/Bill staff with any owed amounts.
- Assists and organizes relevant documents for the annual audit both internal and external.
- Receives refunds of unused travel cash advances and any other cash and check refunds, issues receipts for any refund received and ensures regular and timely banking of all refunds received.
- Review and ensure that Trip Expense Reports are reviewed and duly signed by the relevant staff supervisors and filed appropriately.
- Performs quarterly stock-take of Inventory and prepares and submits a report on variances to the Administration Manager and Administration Supervisor for follow up.
- Assists in budget preparation, budget monitoring and tracking of expenditures
- Follows sound accounting procedures and practices in conformity with GAAP, IAS and OMB circulars to ensure accuracy and transparency on the use of US Government’s funds.
- Reviews purchase requests, travel request and any other form of procurement, review coding on documents to ensure its accurate as per the coded budget
- Files and retrieves financial documents, to include online filing
- Assist with cash and bank reconciliations, Reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis
- Reconciles and disburses monthly, quarterly and annual statutory deductions and returns, including pension, withholding tax, NHIF, NSSF, PAYE within the statutory period.
- Prepares monthly financial reports on accrual basis using fund accounting principles.
- Prepares staff Telephone Bills report and any other receivable and sends to payroll section on monthly basis.
- Prepares and disburses accounts payable for approved purchases and contracts according to procedures and policies in place.
- Undertakes all duties as may be assigned by supervisor in order to improve on internal controls and financial operations for the overall achievement of RSC Africa’s goals and objectives.
• Bachelor of Commerce, Accounting, Finance or other Business Degree or four (4) years of experience in lieu of a degree required.
• CPA/ACCA/CIMA finalist with minimum 4 years of relevant experience
• Advanced MS skills to include (advanced Excel)
• 5 years of work experience with INGO, preferable US funded grants
• 2 years directly related specialized experience performing the essential duties in finance is required.
Knowledge / Skills:
• Knowledge of Excel spreadsheets and Sage 300 or similar accounting software required.
• Knowledge of fund and accrual accounting principles is required.
The Staff Security Officer must have the ability to:**
• Ability to maintain the confidentiality and integrity of accounts and budget information.
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to follow instructions from the Supervisor with a positive and receptive attitude.
• Ability to conduct oneself in a professional and courteous manner to represent the best interests of RSC Africa and CWS/IRP.
• Ability to maintain a high-performance standard with attention to detail.
• Ability to work independently and contribute to overall operations at management level.
• Ability to manage a large and diverse workload under pressure with competing priorities.
• Ability to work well as a team in a multi-cultural environment while maintaining a high level of motivation.
• Ability to actively participate in the implementation of the U.S. Government Operational Refugee Processing Program in Africa.
• Ability to deal effectively and courteously with a large number of associates, outside agencies, applicants and members of the general public.
• Ability to carry out all of the duties of the position efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision; Ability to lead others and address issues as they arise.
• Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with RSC Africa administrative and operational information.
• Ability to analyze and solve complex problems.
• Ability to effectively manage RSC Africa’s resources.
Physical: This position requires bending, kneeling, sitting, standing, walking, pushing/pulling, handling objects (manual dexterity), reaching above shoulder level, using fine finger movements and lifting/carrying light loads.
Environmental: Incumbents in this position will be exposed to marked changes in temperature and/or humidity, dust and infectious diseases and harsh weather climates.
Police Clearance Certificate issued within the last one year (12 months) is required before the start of employment.
A valid passport and the ability to maintain a valid passport throughout the entire appointment is required, which includes having enough passport pages for travel. The candidate should be of good health, willing and able to travel extensively in often difficult conditions, and have a high degree of flexibility. Must have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination before traveling for CWS RSC Africa. Employee will be entrusted with the receipt, custody and payment of money
How to apply
Click on CWS Career site: – https://cws-careers.vibehcm.com/