Position title : SARE Coordinator
Supervised by : Head of Program
Responding to : Head of Program
Duty station : Ouagadougou
Area of operation : Burkina Faso (with planned trips to the bases)
Period considered : 8 months (potentially renewable)
Type of contract : Expatriate
Salary & Benefits : Non-management G- level 1 (unaccompanied position)
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and displaced people around the world: we provide emergency aid to these people, we fight for their rights and we strengthen their opportunities for a better future. We work in areas affected by conflict, as well as along displacement routes, and within countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive to achieve responsible and sustainable solutions. We work for the successful integration of vulnerable communities and, where possible, the fulfillment of their wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council (hereafter: DRC, for Danish Refugee Council) was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown into an international humanitarian organization with over 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Headquartered in Copenhagen, and present in 40 countries, the DRC is a non-governmental, non-profit, politically neutral and independent, non-denominational aid organization.
Our vision is a life with dignity for all displaced people around the world. All our efforts are based on our moral compass: humanity, respect, independence, neutrality, participation, honesty and transparency.
With one million internally displaced people, about 30% of whom have been displaced for a year or more, the humanitarian community must constantly reflect on the perspectives to be implemented at the programmatic level in the short term as well as in the medium and long term. DRC has been operating in Burkina Faso since January 2013, with 4 Land offices (Dori, Kaya, Ouahigouya and Dedougou), 3 sub offices (Gorom Gorom, Djibo, Thiou) and 01 Country office in Ouagadougou. The DRC program in Burkina Faso is focused on the rehabilitation and development of communities with a multisectoral approach.
About the job
Under the management of the Director of Programs and under the technical supervision of the Regional SARE Coordinator, the SARE Coordinator is in charge of the technical supervision of all projects implemented in the Food Security and Recovery sector. Economic in Burkina Faso, as well as strategic development on these themes for the mission of DRC. He / She will have to ensure the quality of the programming within the framework of the implementation of the project while guaranteeing the strict respect of the DRC procedures. She / He will coordinate with other actors implementing Food Security and Economic Recovery projects in DRC intervention areas (Sahel, North, Center-North, Boucle du Mouhoun and East), in a context of crises recent and growing humanitarian aid, overall coordination and resource deficit. The SARE coordinator will be based in Ouagadougou but with frequent trips to the DRC intervention areas.
The responsibilities listed are not exhaustive and could be readjusted according to the operational needs identified at the time as long as they remain consistent with the general responsibilities of the position.
Technical management of the Food Security and Economic Recovery Department:
- Define the strategy and positioning of the Food Security and Economic Recovery technical department (SARE)
- Ensure continuous analysis of the food security situation
- Coordinate the identification of SARS needs
- Formulate project proposals according to the established strategy
- Promote the development and inclusion of innovative and relevant approaches for the country
- Ensure the strategic link between SARE programs but also with other DRC intervention sectors including Protection and RVA / CP (Reduction of Armed Violence and Peacebuilding)
- Ensure technical coordination with the regional office
Support and technical supervision of the implementation of programs:
- Develop program monitoring tools
- Technically support the implementation of projects
- Control quality and monitoring in the field to ensure that the services provided to beneficiaries follow DRC standards
- Monitor the implementation of the Programs according to the planned results and activities
- Support project managers in the financial monitoring of expenses related to the SARE sector
- Contribute to the development and review of activity reports, needs analysis and contracts for the SARE component
- Promote capitalization, technical development and research within the department
- Explore avenues for funding and collaboration with other partners
- Work closely with the Head of Programs and the Grant department to develop quality project proposals and budgets
- Conduct regular evaluations to inform the development of projects that best meet needs.
Strengthening of the technical capacities of SARE teams:
- Ensure the direct technical supervision of the SARE sector project managers and participate in the definition of objectives and the performance evaluation of the SARE sector project managers / team leaders, from a technical point of view, in collaboration with the Area Manager
- Provide training and capacity building for SARE sector teams
- Develop the standard tools and procedures necessary for a qualitative implementation of SARE programs
External coordination and representation:
- Share and communicate on DRC projects with the various partners
- Ensure the active participation of DRC in national sector coordination, technical platforms and develop sector partnerships
- Ensure the development of partnerships with national and international NGOs, state services and all other institutions in connection with the country strategy
As Coordinator at DRC, the person will also be responsible for:
- Contribute to DRC’s strategic objectives in its area of responsibility
- Make key decisions on the functioning and positioning of the department
- Make decisions on the management of the resources of the department.
- Make decisions based on DRC Policies and Standards, and advise other DRC sector experts on SARE and Cash Transfers.
- Communicate proactively with the Director of Programs and the SARE Regional Coordinator on the challenges of the department.
The success of this mission requires that you listen to your teams, and know how to show leadership to achieve the objectives of the departments concerned. In addition you must be (or have):
- Minimum 5 years of experience in Food Security and Economic Recovery in an international NGO
- Minimum 3 years of experience in team management
- Proven skills in project management and development and technical writing
- Perfect command of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in project development
- Experience in a volatile and insecure environment
- Experience of partnering with national partners, authorities / government and UN agencies
- Perfect command of French and professional ability to work in English
- Previous experience in a Sahelian context
- Experience in NGO consortia would be a plus
Skills and qualities required
- In this position, you must demonstrate the five essential skills of the DRC, namely:
- Strive for excellence: you focus on achieving results while ensuring an efficient process. You strive to produce precise, thorough and professional work with optimal use of time and effort.
- Collaborate: You cooperate with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. You support and trust others, while encouraging comments.
- Take the reins: You take responsibility and prioritize your work according to DRC’s vision and overall goals. You take the initiative when faced with a challenge or an opportunity and you are looking for innovative solutions.
- Communicate: You write and speak effectively and honestly while adapting your style and tone to the situation. You actively listen to others and involve them in dialogue.
- Demonstrate Integrity: You uphold and promote the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and code of conduct, including protection from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment .
- Ability to work in a multicultural and cosmopolitan environment
- Perfect command of French read, written and spoken
- Fluency in one or more national or local languages would be an asset.
- Ability to work in a team and good sense of humor
How to apply
If you are interested, you can apply online by going to this site: https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationInit.aspx?cid=1036&ProjectId=161778&DepartmentId=19021&MediaId=5
Applications can only be made online, on the site indicated above. You must upload your CV (3 pages maximum) and a cover letter online. The CV and the cover letter can be in French or in English.
Applications made by post, by sending an email or by submitting a physical file will not be considered.
The DRC provides equal employment opportunities and prohibits any practice of discrimination based on race, sex, skin color, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, age, marital status or else any situation of handicap. The DRC does not discriminate in the context of its recruitment processes. However, applicants must take into account the fact that, under an expatriate contract, the DRC cannot recruit Burkinabé national staff for this position.
For more information about the Danish Refugee Council, please visit the organization’s website at drc.ngo.
Applications will close on Thursday July 1 at 23:59 GMT. Nevertheless, it is possible for the DRC to start, before the end of the publication of the offer, the recruitment process if an application meets the expectations and requirements of the position.