Background Information – Job-specific
As part of UNOPS sustainability agenda, several initiatives have been carried out to better incorporate gender issues and social inclusion and other cross cutting issues into UNOPS project management and monitoring and reporting methodologies. Sustainability aspects, especially gender equality is a key focus area in UNOPS 2018-2021 strategic plan and UNOPS has launched in 2018 a Gender Mainstreaming strategy and Action plan, which positions gender equality as a key component of the projects UNOPS implements on behalf of partners around the world.
Support to the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme, the Action, is a 5-year programme funded by the European Union to contribute to a smooth and timely undertaking of the transition, through capacity building of the three branches of the Bangsamoro Government. This will promote an enabling good governance environment and support the efficient implementation of policies set up by the transition plan, with a focus on capacities that are critical for a sound functioning of interim institutions. These include: capacity of the BTA’s executive branch superstructure to drive and coordinate key transitional policies; capacity of the Parliament to exercise its law making and oversight functions; capacity of the Justice System to adjudicate litigations and improve access to justice, and capacity of the civil society to contribute to a peaceful transition to the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao (BARMM).
The Action supports the institutional components of the peace process set out by the Framework Agreement on the Bangsamoro, Bangsamoro Comprehensive Agreement and their implementing arrangements as well as BOL’s art. XVI provisions on the transition, through an integrated approach combining institution building and capacity building of core Bangsamoro democratic governance institutions, to efficiently undertake the transition, including post-transition.
UNOPS is one of the implementing partners of the SUBATRA Programme under Indirect Management and will be responsible for the provision of logistical and administrative support, which may include the organization of training, workshops, seminars and study tours; procurement of goods and services; infrastructure; and communication and visibility.
The Gender Equality Senior Officer – Gender Mainstreaming shall, under the guidance of the Senior Project Manager act as catalyst and support the process of gender parity and mainstreaming in the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme funded by European Union, leading the mainstreaming of gender in the project implementation, and ensuring women empowerment employing appropriate strategies for women targeted actions throughout the project activities implementation.
- The Gender Equality Specialist will ensure implementation of, and compliance with UNOPS and EU’s gender policy in general and develop the Gender Action Plan (GAP) for this project
- Provide input for Gender Action Plan to effectively integrate gender concerns into the implementation of project activities, including strategies to ensure participation of women in the implementation of various project components and activities
- Facilitate consultations in all project target agencies and areas; and capture gender considerations ensuring equal participation of women in identified stakeholder groups
- Provide support in establishing and maintaining close dialogue/open channels of communications with all project stakeholders, especially partners engaged in the project for delivery of specific activities
- Contribute to the Project’s communication and visibility activities
- Support in developing, building, strengthening the understanding of the gender mainstreaming by providing appropriate training to stakeholders, as required;
- Document gender considerations from consultations and support the Senior Project Manager in prioritizing and implementing gender-equitable project interventions
- In collaboration with project team, development and dissemination of outreach materials such as brochures, fact sheets and presentations, ensuring they are gender sensitive and promote gender equality
- Contribute to identification and assessment of issues and risks related to the complementary social inclusion and implement responses in accordance with the Project’s Risk Management Strategy
- Capture good practices and lessons learned, related to areas of gender and social inclusion, and access to social services
- Provide subject matter input on gender and social inclusion issues, with particular attention on coordinating activities with other results
- Preparing gender mainstreaming reports as part of periodic project progress report
- Follow up on the Gender Action Plan (GAP) making sure targets are revisited on a quarterly basis
- Contribute to the development of Terms of Reference for engagement of consultants/companies needed for the complementary gender and social inclusion related activities, monitor and evaluate their performance
- Support and strengthen the project team ‘s knowledge on the gender and cultural context in the Region to for more effective project planning, implementation and delivery, monitoring and governance according to UNOPS policies.
- Minimum of two (2) years of professional level experience in gender mainstreaming, analysis, research, designing gender policies, strategies, guidelines, and training manuals.
- Local level experience and substantial knowledge of the social, cultural and gender issues in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao is an asset.
- Practical work exposure to municipalities and understanding of environmental, social and economic dynamics of gender in the BARMM Region is strongly desirable.
- Extensive practical experience in leading gender mainstreaming and implementation of gender-sensitive projects and programmes in the context of peace and conflict areas is an advantage.
- Practical expertise in designing training activities appropriate for community and government experts and providing training on gender analysis and mainstreaming is an advantage.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and motivational skills and sensitivity to the local environment as well as the ability to work with minimal supervision and proven ability to accomplish and present work with a high degree of accuracy and technical quality is desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing, complex, technical information to both technical and general audiences is desirable.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English and Tagalog is desired.
How to apply
Apply online at: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=22180#5