Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, private and independent medical humanitarian organisation. It was founded in 1971 by a group of French doctors and journalists. MSF provides medical aid in more than 70 countries worldwide. Whether it is war-wounded people in Yemen, displaced populations in South Sudan or patients with tuberculosis in Central Asia. The projects are targeted especially at people in need who do not have access to sufficient medical treatment or who are excluded from aid.
We are committed to promote diversity and select our staff purely based on required competencies. Our culture is based on collaboration, diversity and accountability.
The MSF Poland Branch Office will be operationally by the end of 2021. The branch office will raise private funds for MSF’s work and mission, recruit qualified and experienced field workers from Poland, bear witness and speak out about the plight of the people we treat and strengthen humanitarian discourses.
Terms of Reference
Position: General Director, Poland
Job location: Foundation “Lekarze bez Granic”, Warsaw
Job dimension: 100% (40 hours per week)
Start date position: As soon as possible
Contract: The employment contract will be limited for 33 months with the possibility of an extension. Due to a mobility policy for executive management positions the overall duration of employment is max. 6 years.
Salary: Salary will be within the salary range of comparable non-for-profit organisations and foundations in Poland.
Place within the organisation
The General Director of MSF Poland is the Head of the MSF Poland Branch Office and President of the Management Board of the foundation “Lekarze Bez Granic”. The General Director reports to the Foundation´s Board (according to the foundation´s statute) and to the General Director and the Board of MSF Germany (according to a bilateral agreement). MSF-Germany as supervising section will support the MSF Poland Branch Office, will provide the investment and does carry the responsibility for the MSF Poland Branch Office.
Overall objective of the position
The purpose of this position is to represent MSF in Poland. The position holder should lead and manage the MSF Poland Branch Office. Key will be overseeing the fundraising market entry implementation of MSF in Poland starting in the second half of 2021. The goal is to set-up an MSF branch office in a new market with the objectives to raise private funds for MSF’s social mission, to attract humanitarian aid workers for MSF´s projects, to raise awareness for MSF’s work and to bear witness in the Polish language. The General Director is responsible for driving, developing and implementing the strategic vision for MSF in Poland. The General Director will lead a team of 5 to 10 people in setting and achieving those objectives, ensuring that they are delivered in line with the core values and principles of MSF. The General Director is the official representative and spokesperson of MSF in Poland and actively engages with public and relevant stakeholders on key issues of importance for MSF. As President of the Management Board, the General Director represents the Polish MSF foundation towards third parties and ensures that all legal and reporting requirement of the foundation are met.
Strategy, planning and general management
· Lead the development of the strategy and implementation of the objectives of the MSF Poland Branch Office and its translation into annual plans and budgets within the framework given by the Foundation’s Board and MSF Germany
· Lead the recruitment and onboarding of the MSF Poland Branch Office staff
· Provide effective leadership and management for the office team in line with MSF Poland’s, MSF Germany’s and MSF’s international policies and management practices, including coaching, development, support, annual performance reviews and quality supervision. In accordance with MSF Germany’s Strategic Plan, this should be driven by the acknowledgment that collective and individual leadership as well as good people management is essential to collaborate and work together successfully to achieve common goals
- Develop internal processes and structures for the new branch office
- Manage in collaboration with the Administrative Manager the general office needs including the data systems landscape, resourcing needs, functional management of the office, facility management and relations with suppliers
- Ensure information flows, communication, use of synergies and an effective cross team work within the MSF Poland Branch Office
· Work in partnership with the General Director of MSF Germany, its team and other international MSF representatives to ensure maximum efficiency and cooperation across the MSF movement
Governance, finance, accountability
- Overall responsibility for the financial management, budget control, annual plan, risk management and efficient use of resources ensuring they are in line with core values and principles of MSF
- Maintain the highest standards of financial accountability and transparency to ensure a successful annual financial audit
- Represent the MSF Poland Branch Office towards MSF Germany and as President of the Management Board towards the Foundation’s Board and provide them with regular updates and reports, schedule and coordinate meetings
- Be the legal representative as President of the Management Board of the foundation towards third parties
- Ensure compliance with all relevant Polish legal frameworks and regulations as well as MSF internal policies and agreements
- Encourage the engagement of MSF humanitarian aid workers from Poland and office staff in the associative activities of MSF
- Build a structure enabling humanitarian aid workers from Poland to contribute to the branch office’s strategy and activities
- Clarify the role of the MSF Poland Branch Office in case of managing a serious security incident with a Polish field worker in collaboration with MSF Germany as responsible HR-entity for Polish humanitarian aid workers
Representation & communication
· Be MSF’s official spokesperson in Poland, when needed and relevant, in the media, platforms and meetings of the Polish civil society
· Develop and maintain MSF’s reputation in Poland, ensuring that the organization’s identity, values, mission and name are used in a representative and consistent manner across all activities of the MSF Poland Branch Office
· Advocate for MSF’s public positioning in Poland; ensure MSF’s concerns on issues related to the humanitarian and medical needs of specific vulnerable groups are appropriately represented to relevant Polish stakeholders (government, authorities, civil society, academic community, media) and that these efforts influence, or effect change in policy and practice.
- Represent when relevant and appropriate the MSF Poland Branch Office within MSF international structures and platforms
Fundraising & human resources
· Oversee and steer the development and implementation of the fundraising strategy and related investments with the objective to develop secure, sustainable and diversified private income streams in order to meet the financial needs and ensure the independence of MSF’s operations
· Makes sure fundraising strategy and practices are conducted according to the organization’s humanitarian and fundraising principles
· Give personal attention for fundraising opportunities (e.g. major donor’s events, corporate contacts) and represent the MSF movement and its values towards donors
· Oversee the development and implementation of the field recruitment marketing strategy with the objective to attract motivated and qualified Polish fieldworkers in accordance with operational ambitions and needs
· Collaborate with the HR team of MSF Germany as responsible HR-entity for Polish humanitarian aid workers, and if needed, with Operational Centers, in all relevant field recruitment issues to maximize the recruitment and matching of Polish humanitarian aid workers
Skills and experiences
· Strong commitment to MSF humanitarian principles and values
· Experience in international humanitarian aid or development context, ideally including experience working in the field, or work experience in the third sector
· Previous experience within the MSF movement in an operational or managerial capacity is an advantage
· Demonstrated ability to translate a holistic vision into a meaningful and implementable cross-functional strategy
· Proven start-up, results-oriented capacity and mindset, and keen interest in driving and controlling fundraising and marketing initiatives and outcomes to achieve a pre-determined growth plan in a given timeframe
· Proven track record in planning & management against budget, timescales and deadlines
· Track record in leading, enabling & coaching staff members
· Solid understanding of the mechanisms and processes relevant to organizations, such as human resources and finance management
· Demonstrated public speaking and representation skills with media, governmental institutions & the public
· Track record in fostering, influencing and negotiating (diplomacy) with a wide range of actors, including governance bodies and international partners
· Proven knowledge and experience of Polish civil society
· Experience in and/ or knowledge of the Polish fundraising sector including legal framework and fundraising methods
· Knowledge of legal, financial and administrative framework for Polish foundations is preferable
· Ability and willingness to quickly learn about the medical dimension of MSF work
· Willingness and determination to create a culture of leadership engagement for fundraising
· High level of flexibility – willingness to work irregular hours, including weekends, as well as travel to other MSF offices and projects
· Fluency in in Polish and English
How to apply
Piqued your interest? To apply for this role, please prepare your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page, in English) that summarises how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role. Please submit your application including certificates until May 2nd 2021. To apply, please visit this link:
Further information can be obtained from: Annekatrin Himmelreich, Liaison Manager – Market Entry in Poland, firstname.lastname@example.org.