Job location: For Secondment – Any AA Location and Fixed Term Employment -Johannesburg, Nairobi or London
Contract Type: Secondment/Fixed Term Employment/Consultancy – Until December 2021
The Job Summary
- Responsible for drafting, developing and updating the global resilience strategy of ActionAid and ensuring the federation applies a technically sound approach to resilience, firmly embedded in the Humanitarian Signature of ActionAid.
- Provides expert technical advice on resilience to staff and partners across the federation, and externally as required, with a focus on resilience in humanitarian response, protracted crisis and ensuring resilience in mainstreamed across all thematic and programmatic areas of ActionAid’s humanitarian signature and programmes.
- Deploys globally as necessary to countries to strategically develop and embed high quality resilience strategies and approaches, internally and externally.
- Represents ActionAid at senior technical levels including building relationships with the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction (UNISDR) and Global Network for Disaster Risk Reduction (GNDR).
- Builds strong networks with donors, UN bodies, other (I)NGOs and academic institutions to further develop internal and external expertise and positioning on resilience.
- Works collaboratively with ActionAid members across the federation including developing, coordinating and managing the global resilience champions network.
- Responsible for developing, updating and rolling out technical frameworks and toolkits in line with global standards for the resilience champions network and ensure that a strategic capacity strengthening framework is in place and applied.
- Technical co-lead with ActionAid Bangladesh for the Global Resilience Delegation of ActionAid and works collaboratively with other key members of the ActionAid federation to strategically build and use evidence of good practice in relevant fora.
- Provides technical expertise to internal capacity strengthening on resilience within the delegation for the federation, including capacity strengthening of senior managers and leaders across ActionAid and its partners.
- The post holder will be expected to travel frequently, mostly planned, usually for 1-2 weeks at a time
Who we’re looking for
- Degree level from a recognised University in relevant field
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Solid experience of working in humanitarian contexts, including in conflict/insecure environments, on resilience programming in an international organisation as well as of experience and understanding of the humanitarian architecture, key donors and external humanitarian standards and practices (SPHERE, CHS, Red Cross/Crescent/NGO code of conduct etc.)
- Strong conceptual understanding and practical experience of the humanitarian-development-peace-climate nexus and different types of resilience programming (DRR, resilience in protracted crises, urban resilience, climate change adaptation etc) for an international organisation, including working on climate change adaptation interventions and strategic climate related policy and advocacy efforts.
How to apply
Please click on this link https://actionaidinternational.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=71 to submit your application. Upload an up-to-date CV and a covering letter, clearly explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be shortlisted- usually within 2 weeks of the closing date.
ActionAid is a global federation working for a world free from poverty and injustice. We want to see a just, fair and sustainable world, in which everybody enjoys the right to a life of dignity, and freedom from poverty and oppression. We work to achieve social justice and gender equality, and to eradicate poverty.
All our work is underpinned by a set of feminist leadership principles:
Self-awareness, Self-care and caring for others, Dismantling bias, Inclusion, Sharing power, Responsible & transparent use of power, Accountable collaboration, Respectful feedback, Courage and Zero tolerance against discrimination and abuse of power.
Our commitment to safeguarding
ActionAid is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct. We are also committed to preventing and responding to any form of sexual harassment, exploitation and child abuse and abuse of adults at-risk, whether carried out by staff/representatives or resulting from our work. ActionAid expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Candidates will require the right to work in the job location at the time of appointment.