Organization: Plan International Canada
Reports to: Senior Compliance Manager, Business Development & Budgeting
Location: Toronto or Ottawa (include 30% of travel annually)
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Contact level with Children: B
Grade level: 7
What can you expect from a leading organization in the global movement to advance children’s rights and equality for girls?
Plan International Canada is the first non-profit organization to ever be inducted into Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures Hall of Fame by Waterstone Human Capital. Here’s why: together, we have created a climate of trust and inclusivity – where diversity in people, ideas and approaches is not only respected, it’s encouraged.
We remain agile amid an ever-changing global landscape. Though we continue to evolve, our mission and strategic ambition will not change – and our work has never been so imperative. We will never stop believing in the multiplying power of girls and that every child deserves that right to learn, lead, decide and thrive. Our future success will be founded upon Plan International Canada’s 80+ year history of focusing on our mission, our core values, responding to challenges and seizing opportunities with purpose, relevance and impact.
Further information can be found at: plancanada.ca/careers
You will be responsible for:
- Leading the proposal budgeting by collaborating with cross-functional team responsible for preparing a wide range of high quality, multi-year grant proposals. The proposal team includes specialists in proposal writing, monitoring and evaluation and relevant thematic areas such as Gender, Health, Education and Livelihoods.
- Maximizing cost recovery, ensuring value for Money and compliance with Donor requirements during budget process.
- Financial analysis and reviewing complex contracts and agreements with project team and supporting financial negotiations with stakeholders such as Country Offices, Donors and Partners)
- Developing financial tools and guidance in line with Donor and Plan International policies for any innovative opportunities. Advanced proficiency in Excel is required in this regard.
- Other related tasks, as required.
What does success look like?
- Lead on the development of detailed, high-quality budget proposals for projects and the development of guidance and tools to support Plan International Country Offices in their proposal budgeting for specific donors.
- Develop strong working relationships within Plan International Canada and with Plan International Country Offices.
- Develop strategies to minimize financial and compliance risk from the onset of proposal development and advise on implications of these risks during implementation.
- Manage the review of donor agreements and contracts with the project team and the communication of donor requirements to the team (both in Canada and abroad).
- Create innovative ways to improve budgeting processes.
As our ideal candidate you will have::
- Proven experience in developing costing models / budgets at the project design stage and risk assessment/ mitigation for $4M+ proposals
- Demonstrated knowledge and prior experience working with a wide variety of international development funding agency rules, regulations and contracting structures, including experience with donor agencies such as Global Affairs Canada (including International Humanitarian Assistance), multilateral agencies (Educate a Child, Dubai Cares, Global Sanitation Fund, AfDB, UNICEF, UNHCR, etc.) and charitable organizations / foundations
- A proven track record as a financial analyst or a similar role in a non-profit and/ or International Development organization with hands on experience reviewing complex contracts and agreements. Previous experience working on long term development projects is an asset
- A flexible work style; open to collaboration with strong personalities; thrive in a fast-paced evolving work culture. Experience with working in cross-functional teams and matrix environment. Ability to manage ambiguity and deliver under very short deadlines
- A passion for mission driven work and personal values aligned with those of Plan International Canada’s organizational values.
How to apply
To express interest in this exciting opportunity, submit your resume and cover letter to https://career17.sapsf.com/sfcareer/jobreqcareer?jobId=1620&company=planintern by July 27, 2023.
Consistent with our Safeguarding Policy the successful candidate must receive clearance by a police background check, including the vulnerable sector screen.
Applicants must be eligible to work in Canada for the duration of the work term. Proof of eligibility will be required.
Requests for accommodation can be made at any stage of the recruitment process providing the applicant has met the bona-fide requirements for the open position. Applicants need to make their requirements known when contacted.
Plan International Canada is a hybrid workplace. You will work from the office and from home.
Plan International Canada hires based on merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and to providing an inclusive workplace. Plan International Canada especially welcomes applications from Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, women, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Plan International Canada sincerely thanks all applicants for their expressed interest in this opportunity however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
Thank you for your interest in a career at Plan International Canada!